Print Story When Love Just Isn't Enough
Death
By Lady Jane (Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:01:03 PM EST) (all tags)
The first and last update.

Thank you all for your support.

We called the puppy hospital this morning to ask if we could come visit Pokito. We were told that they were rounding and they asked if we could come at 9:30. We agreed, and went to breakfast to wait.

As we were halfway through breakfast the phone rang. The Dr. spoke with Rizzo and essentially informed him that our precious puppy had passed in his sleep, sometime during rounding.

We sat outside of the restaurant for quite some time trying to work out just want we were going to do. It seemed like ages before we were able to collect ourselves and make our way to the puppy hospital. We walked through the door and, before I could even get a word out, the receptionist called the ICU to let them know that "Pokito's parents are here for a visit." I almost lost it. What I would give to visit my darling puppy again.

They put us in a waiting room, with the ominous black flag outside our door. We thought they were going to come discuss our options, and talk about the bill, and business and such. Instead, they brought our little boy out to us, all wrapped up in the blankets from his oxygen cage, and hugging his little Señor Frog. He had slept with Señor Frog every night he was with us, from that very first night, and somehow I hoped it would bring him comfort.

He looked so peaceful, almost like he was sleeping, but far too cold. The nurse placed him in my arms and quietly excused herself. We were given all the time we needed, and many other kindnesses that are too painful to think about right now.

I am impressed at the respectfulness of this facility. And of my friends and family, all of you, and most especially my beloved. Not once has anyone looked at me and reminded me that he was 'just a dog'. And I'm thankful, because he was so much more. He was a part of our lives. A symbol of our love and committment towards each other. And from the hole in my chest, he was my heart.

Pokito, te amo.
< Dum dwee! Dum dum dum dwee dow! | Tonight, a thunderstorm >
When Love Just Isn't Enough | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm so sorry. by toxicfur (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:25:35 PM EST
There's nothing I can say to make it better. Just remember him, and what he gave you, and comfort yourself with the knowledge that he had a life full of love. My best to you and Rizzo.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Thank you. by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:39:03 PM EST
We keep reminding ourselves that he had the best month of his life. We took him camping, and motorcycling, and out for puppy-safe frozen custard, and on a vacation to Albuquerque/Taos. And we have some fantastic memories to hold on to.

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
Awww. :-( by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:25:55 PM EST
*hugs*

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Thanks. by Lady Jane (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:29:06 PM EST
We're in the middle of New Mexico, thousands of miles from family and friends. We need all the hugs we can get right now.

-----------------------------------------
"Buttons aren't toys" -- Trillian
Very sorry to hear it. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:52:30 PM EST
Few things suck worse than when a dog dies.

New Mexico is good at death. Let the horizon absorb what you can give it.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

I am sorry for your loss. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 04:45:12 PM EST
That said, never forget that you have each other for times just like this. That man has your heart. Trust him with it.

I'm sorry by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 05:49:26 PM EST
My sympathies.  Such things are never easy.

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz

my sympathy by misslake (4.00 / 1) #8 Tue Jul 01, 2008 at 05:56:24 PM EST