Print Story I love intellectuals
Sport
By BadDoggie (Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 08:13:57 AM EST) intellectuals, gambling, Obama, Clinton (all tags)
Actually I despise most of them because they're generally smarmy as fuck and so wrapped up in being full of themselves that they resemble hyper-Klein bottles. They know better, no matter even if they're arguing whatever it is you wrote your thesis on.

This can be used to one's advantage.

Poll included

Heinz isn't so bad. Sometimes it's actually interesting to talk with him. He's a drunk though he's better these days. But usually he knows just how to make himself as infuriating as possible. He decided to lecture me on American politics and, based on his astute knowledge of the US electoral process having read a couple articles in the Süddeutsche Zeitung, he truly believes that 1) McCain has a really good chance at beating Obama; and 2) that Clinton will be Obama's VP pick.

It doesn't matter that I'm American. It doesn't matter that I follow politics. It doesn't matter that I grew up in DC and ate, drank, slept and shit politics. It doesn't matter that I've worked on American political campaigns. Heinz knows better.

"Wanna bet?"

He decided to repeat the same shit that the Clinton supporters finally stopped saying Saturday afternoon.

"€100. I'm telling you now that whoever the VP will be, it won't be Clinton."

He started to stick out his hand and thought it over for a second.

He explained how he'd already lost €100 to Greg, a physicist who sometimes talks with Heinz over a few beers. Greg said that it wasn't going to be Clinton back in January. Heinz never learns.

"Tell you what. I'll give you 2:1. If Clinton becomes VP, you get €100 from me. If not, I only get €50 from you."

He repeated it back to me and I confirmed. He was almost drooling; it was like watching a really bad con man trying not to scare me off before he could get me to shake hands in acceptance of the terms. If Tex Avery had drawn him there'd be slot machine wheels in his eyes.

We shook on it.

I then tried to explain to him that it was already over with the idea that Clinton would be VP, that her camp had already announced she wasn't seeking the slot. I offered to let him cancel the bet and show him on-line. He steadfastly refused.

Fifty smackers for me. But making Heinz eat crow is even more rewarding.

< pimp my ride | I have the two qualities you require to see absolute truth >
I love intellectuals | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
If Obama hadn't run, Clinton would have won by lm (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 08:44:22 AM EST
If she had run a different campaign, she might have been in serious running for the veep slot. (Of course, if she had run a different campaign, she may have won the primary.) I believe that, strictly speaking, the veep slot is filled by votes cast by delegates. Clinton certainly has control of enough delegates to force her way onto the Democratic ticket as veep. But she won't. I think she's finally realizing how many bridges she's burnt due to the way she campaigned.

Cicero, The Republic
Probably ruined her chances in 12/16 too by debacle (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 05:49:22 PM EST
Make that definitely, IMHO. Personally, I think it's a good thing, then again if she had run her campaign differently that may have said something about her personality that would have made me think twice about voting for Obama.

Time makes quite a bit of difference by lm (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Jun 10, 2008 at 01:45:49 AM EST
Compare the average joe's view of Al Gore circa 2008 compared with 2000. Ditto for Joe Lieberman. I don't think anyone would have predicted the changes in either back in 2000. Between now and 2012 or 2016, Clinton has plenty of time to rehabilitate herself and rebuild the bridges she's burned down.

I'm not saying she will. I'm only saying that the damage isn't irreversible.

Cicero, The Republic
At least by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 09:10:23 AM EST
He didn't tell you that the election would be rigged.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Betfair odds by herbert (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 09:41:33 AM EST
4.9 - 5.3 decimal for Hillary as vice candidate, or 6.8 - 9.4 to actually become VP.  Compared with the lousy 3.0 you offered.  Nicely done.

Idiots. by BadDoggie (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 09, 2008 at 10:53:49 AM EST
They should be offering 100/1 just to bring in the cash. It ain't gonna happen. I have a better chance of being offered the slot than Clinton.

woof.

OMG WE'RE FUCKED! -- duxup ?

I love intellectuals | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback