Print Story I hurt
By ucblockhead (Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:07:06 AM EST) (all tags)
I should probably see a doctor.

I have a crick in my neck. More like: I apparently have a two foot spike embedded in my neck. I'd normally put this to age and sleeping incorrectly, but it's been like this for two weeks now. The pain is making me a bit cranky.

I suspect that it is caused by stress, but "remove stress" is difficult when part of the stress is feeling like there is a two foot spike embedded in my neck. At least the constant headache I had for the first week and a half seems to have gone.

It's also caused me to avoid the gym, and I am gaining weight... :-(

I hate bodies. Too bad I believe this who "upload your brains" singularity thing is a bunch of delusional crap. (Sure, you might create a copy of my brain in silicon and that copy would react like me and feel that was me, etc. etc. It still wouldn't *be* me.) I'm with Doctor McCoy. You ain't never getting me in that infernal transporter!

I'm currently waiting for the floor guy to tell me how much it would cost to remove the carpet in the master bedroom and replace with wood. The FoML is objecting strenuously, but we outnumber him 2-1, so the majority carries. We were smart enough to stop at one kid so we could maintain the pretense that this family is a democracy.

I've given up on good solutions, and am just copying all of my music to a USB drive and learning to live with this shitty music software Apple puts out. The album cover feature is annoying, as it's just driving me to obsessively download covers for the 80% of my library that iTunes won't find covers for. FUCK YOU RIAA

I should have known. A couple years ago my wife convinced me that we really needed a lawn for the kid to play in. It's been nothing but trouble. The idiot who installed it used the wrong grass and put in a substandard sprinkler system, so it's been months of reseeding and crap. All for something the FoML rarely sets foot on. Now California has entered drought conditions, so I'll likely have to let the fucking thing die and start all over in a few years.

Work continues in the normal "juggling three oranges while trying to stuff four pounds of sand in a three pound bag". I've nearly transitioned completely away from coding, which means that I stare at my blank status report at the end of two weeks and wonder what to put.

I feel like I am getting better at dealing with the other side, though. I sent an email with a Japanese "That would be very difficult" no and it actually worked! It was quite liberating! I can definitely see the use of saying no without saying "no".

< Summer Comes In With A Bang | Movies I've seen recently that were pretty all right, all things considered >
I hurt | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Blank status reports by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:14:52 AM EST
I'm starting to think my job is like being a cyber-soldier, weeks of boredom interspersed with days of sheer terror (well, and coding....)

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
The big problem with 'singularity' by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:15:00 AM EST

is that know-nothing sci-fi authors are implying to know-nothing nerds that AI CS grads are going to save us all. Anyone who has ever met and interacted with AI CS grads realizes that they can't get their dicks wet, much less save us all, and, most importantly, they've not bothered to ask the "why would anyone want to actually do this" question, so they shall stumble blindly along until either all the tenured AI CS positions in the world are full of unaccomplished teachers, or they all give up and develop AOL instant messenger bots for spam companies.

Well by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:26:38 AM EST
I can see why I might want to upload a copy of my brain, assuming I could convince it to do my job while I lived off the income. Perhaps if I make sure it is in a box where I have complete control over the power switch.

"Get this done by Friday or it is rm -rf ucbrain!"
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I can't even see wanting to make backups by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 08:02:48 AM EST

as I figure stuff I've forgotten, I've forgotten for a reason. But living forever, even in an only-electronic form, sounds like the exact opposite of what I want, since living this day already brings no joy. It's like multiplying infinity times zero.

we could hook you up by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 08:12:09 AM EST
and call your marvin. No, not that marvin

Was du sagt, ich weiss das nicht... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 09:20:06 AM EST

I have a marvin of my own? Does that mean I can throw out the local one?

FoML by duxup (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:31:41 AM EST
FoML objects to non carpeting?

As for the grass provided shouldn't it go dormant for a while when it doesn't have water and still survive?
____

Floor by ucblockhead (4.00 / 2) #5 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:54:00 AM EST
He says it is too cold.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
he's my type of guy /nt by yankeehack (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 02:08:55 PM EST

He by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 02:24:00 PM EST
Doesn't have to deal with the juice that is constantly spilled on it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
That would be very difficult by codemonkey uk (4.00 / 2) #8 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 08:31:55 AM EST
I prefer: "that would be very risky", since saying something is difficult is just asking for someone else to imply that although it may be difficult for you, we could always give the task to someone more competent.

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
Japanese culture by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 10:56:57 AM EST
Not quite the same as Western culture. "Very difficult" is more of a codeword for "we don't want to". Though I did word it more like "This has risk and thus requires testing and also may impact the schedule".

(It also helps as this is not an interaction with bosses...it's closer to a vendor/client interaction.)
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

The other option ... by codemonkey uk (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 11:55:43 AM EST
Is to say "we can do that, what feature did you want to drop to make time for it"... but your right of course, different companies/countries/industries have different cultures.  What works for one doesn't necessarily work for the others...

--- Thad ---
Almost as Smart As you.
selective hearing by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 12:13:26 AM EST
Sometimes people only hear the first bit of that one;)

Replace with wood? by debacle (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 08:47:12 AM EST
You mean there isn't hardwood under it already?

Also, the way you talk about your lawn like some people talk about computers makes me giggle inside. It's just grass, for Pete's sake.

Nope by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 09:27:41 AM EST
All that is under the carpet is plywood.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Real Wood? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 10:24:08 AM EST
Or some laminate type stuff?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Laminate? by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 10:52:59 AM EST
What's that?
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I'm guessing Pergo and the like by lm (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 02:14:38 PM EST
i have a bad neck that needs to be managed by fleece (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Jun 05, 2008 at 07:16:12 PM EST
For me x-rays confirmed it to be DDD: http://www.cure-back-pain.org/cervical-degenerative-disc-disease.html

sometimes the disc gets inflamed and it hurts like f*ck. The way they tell on x-rays is because it's an old injury that gets worse years later, when the vertebrae grows a spur on it, which is x-ray-able

for most people it's not degenerative, will just stay the same amount of badness pretty much, and hurt for a few weeks when it gets inflamed.

My back has felt a lot better since starting yoga by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 01:11:10 PM EST
You should see a yoga instructor.  I know they can be hard to find around here though.

Of course my yoga instructor can see exactly how much weight I'm putting on each foot and makes suggestions about improving my balance.  It must be psychic or something.
busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution

Been there, done that by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 02:15:02 PM EST
I took yoga for five years. My wife's an instructor.

Downward dog helps a bit, but not much.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

I like palm tree and sun salutation by fluffy (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Jun 06, 2008 at 02:22:06 PM EST
Also I knew your wife is an instructor. You'd mentioned it before, hence my apparently-failed attempt at ironic humor.
busy bees buzz | sockpuppet revolution