Print Story A Non-Painting Diary!
Marriage
By atreides (Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 09:52:52 AM EST) (all tags)
I know it seems amazing that I may have other things in life to talk about other than painting and 40K.  I mean, having a new wife and all that, you'd think I'd be brimming over with stuff about that and being married and all.  But, then again, we have more than enough people here who have been married much longer and have more interesting things to say about that entire thing.  Besides, I don't want to be that guy…  You know the one.  The guy who does nothing but talk on and on about his marriage or his kids or his WOW progress or whatever.  Then again, I am doing nothing but talking about painting and minis lately…  Maybe I already am that guy.  In which case, I'm just being myself.  OK.  On with the stuff!!!

So, we got married last month.  I'm sure nobody mentioned it.  On the off chance you want to see some pictures, well, we've got a bunch here but that's neither here nor there.  Marfa was lovely but, as I'm sure all small towns are during the week, boring.  Which wasn't a big impediment to enjoying ourselves, if you know what I mean. ;) I got some 'shrooms as a bachelor party present and we took them while we were out there.  We spent hours waiting for something to happen but nothing did so we went to bed.  That's when the oranges lights showed up behind her eyes and I saw the ceiling was made out of lace.  That was an odd but very cool night.

We got home to a house full of presents and after cataloging and collating them, started (but have not finished ) thank you notes.  Even now, we still have boxes stacked up because we don't have anywhere near enough room for all the stuff we were given.  That's part of the reason we're working on getting a new place now.

Last weekend we went to Welsh Girl's parent's place for Hanamatsuri.  Her parents kindly held it off a couple of weeks since it's actually the week after the wedding.  We went, we saw, we drank.  The low point is that, because of her father's carpal tunnel surgery, he could not play guitar this year.  The high point (for everyone else, I have been told) was my drunken rendition of Kid Charlemagne.  I hear it may end up on You-Tube, but I'm sure that was a hollow threat.

This past weekend, we went to Bryan for her cousin's high school graduation.  His last name is Allen (and for those B5 fans among us his first name, no shit, is Zach) so we watched him walk and then waded through the other 700 people being called.  Of course, the last young Mr. Zuniga got a standing ovation like you would not believe.  After that we went to a little soiree in his honor, ate, fed horses and laughed and joked and all that jazz.  We came back to Austin with her parents in tow.  The spent the weekend at Party Girl's new place and we all ate and did the in-law thing and all that jazz.

Of course, here I am at work.  Doing stuff.  This is one of the nightmare months.  A lot of states schedule yearly renewals during June and December so we have to do a lot of this before the end of the month.  Oh, and my boss is going to be gone the last week of the month so I want to try to get as much done in the next 3 weeks before she goes.

Lastly, who's going to ACL Fest again this year?  Welsh Girl and I.  Got our tickets this morning.  A couple of the big acts are overlapping this year but, other than that, no big conflicts.  Gillian Welch and Gogol Bordello are free and clear.  Erykah Badu is playing at the same time as Robert Earl Keen but that's not even a choice.  Mars Volta is overlapping Manu Chao.  That's a little harder, but not much.  The big one, though, is that Plant/Krauss is overlapping Beck.  That's a little rough, but, ultimately, no choice at all.  Beck is young.  I can see him one day if I want to (not that I really do but I could) but when am I ever going to get another chance to see Plant onstage unless Zeppelin tours?  Welsh Girl is on the fence about it.  She REALLY likes Beck.  Hell, he's on her laminated list despite the fact that he's a Scientologist.  So if she decided to see him, I guess we're gonna part ways for a couple hours.

And, as they say in the parlance of our time, that is all.

< Attention Boston Lunch Infidels! | About time someone treated this topic seriously... >
A Non-Painting Diary! | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You're never going to meet your painting quota. by debacle (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 01:54:27 PM EST
I've got about 50 primed-and-unpainted minifigs sitting on a table in my basement, so I'm not one to talk.

You make Baby Jeebus cry. :( by atreides (2.00 / 0) #2 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 02:45:37 PM EST
You're probably right though.  It's hard to justify painting something when you have more than enough of what you're painting.

Translation: it'll be hard to bring myself to paint 2 speeders when I have 5 painted already.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

That's a tough call, but . . . by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 04:37:17 PM EST
Plant's probably closer to death than Beck is, so go see Plant.

This actuarial music preview has been brought to you by ti_mmoniacal.

Beck by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 04:39:51 PM EST
Ask her if it bothers her that Beck is a Scientologist. Raised one, IIRC.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Shrooms are like by blixco (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 05:39:30 PM EST
mescaline (from what I hear third hand if anyone from work is reading):

About the time you feel like you've been burned, they come on and stay the fuck on.

Oooofdah.

In re all else, we still need to get together for dinner, yo.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

If you want to make it an evening... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 05:56:31 PM EST
Don't even joke about that by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 05:58:06 PM EST
unless you mean portabello or you want a visit from a random invisible 3 letter agency.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Also, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 05:58:55 PM EST
we should try to get together before the 12th...Laurea leaves for Mass soon after that.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Well, when are you free? by atreides (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 06:06:53 PM EST
This Friday? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 06:20:44 PM EST
I'll check with the wife when she's awake!
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Sweet!!! by atreides (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 03, 2008 at 08:41:09 PM EST
Where might you be thinking?  Recommendations?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Thai? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 01:55:09 AM EST
Italian? Thai?

Thai?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

That new Thai/Italian fusion place on 6th. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 02:13:49 AM EST

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Welsh Girl Likes Thai... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 03:48:34 AM EST
Cool. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 05:17:24 AM EST
I still need to bounce the idea off the wife, though.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Just let me know... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 05:50:24 AM EST
Yes. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Jun 04, 2008 at 06:36:40 AM EST
Laurea's in.

How about Satay?

Either that or we could go old-school. Thai Kitchen on the drag.

Also what time?  Send me time and restaurant choice via gmail.
---------------------------------