Print Story Day X.
By blixco (Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 02:48:35 PM EST) (all tags)
This afternoon I took Kilo in to the vet for breathing problems.

Seems she was bitten by something at the dog day care place (long story, but the dogs were there being "evaluated" and socialized for a possible boarding stay while I am out of town). Fireants or the like bit her five or six times that I can see (on her belly) and who knows how many times I can't see.  She started wheezing and coughing / gagging a lot, kept doing it for twenty minutes, and her gums started going white, so I gave her half a benadryl and called the vet...they told me to drop everything and bring her in asap.

By the time we got there, her breathing had stabilized, and her wheezing was almost gone.  They gave her another benadryl, plus a bottle of extras, and some ointment for her bites.

The last four or five days I've had? I expected the worst. She's still a little wheezy but is worn out...she played with a lot of other dogs today (as did Pico) and did a great job, didn't attack anyone, asserted her space, etc.  Pico swam the whole day, and apparently ran a pack of Corgis.  Like, Pico was the gang leader.

I don't blame the dog ranch for Kilo's bites.  They have a huge amount of land; I told them to lay out some grits for the ants and they told me they'd find the mound, fence it off and kill the ants (grits work well; they expand in the ants and are non-toxic).  They were really great and really loved the dogs.  Our dogs will be back there for training and socialization.

After a day at work, my back is letting me know it is there. I can't explain the pain; it isn't bad, but I am aware of it.

I have an appointment @ 7:45a tomorrow to get a preliminary diagnosis and get some imaging scheduled.  From the images, the doc will be able to give me a better diagnosis.  My idea for treatment: spinal injection (epidural) which, the first time I had one, lasted me a while.  That should get me through my vacation (four hours in a plane!).  Then I can schedule surgery.  That's assuming it's a new disk and it can be handled with a microdiskectomy.  If it's the same disk as previously or it is a really bad breech by a new disk, or something I haven't seen, I'll go ahead and schedule whatever the doc recommends.

In re: all else, the stove is still dead, the dog is still alive and motherfucker, so am I.

< Federal Communications Commission v. Pacifica Foundation, et al. | Poem of the Day: Marlowe's Shepherd and Co., Day 2: "The Nymph's Reply to the Shepherd" >
Day X. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)
Embedded PJ videe-yo? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 02:57:49 PM EST
You know you're going to Hell for that, don't you?

never gonna give you up.. by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #6 Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 04:01:05 AM EST

oh, you fucker! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #7 Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 04:40:55 AM EST
It was you, wasn't it??

Glad Kilo's ok. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 04:39:31 PM EST
Best wishes for the appointment tomorrow. We'll be thinking of you.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

good lord... by clock (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 05:34:03 PM EST
...dammit.  again!

glad to hear the pup is well.  have a good meeting with the doc.  tell that mofo you need that shell to run for another good 50 years or more.  spare no expense!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Damn, man by dark nowhere (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jun 23, 2008 at 05:57:33 PM EST
Who did you piss off? Loki? Eris? Deimos?

Here's hoping the tide turns for you.

See you, space cowboy.

it isn't bad, but I am aware of it by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Jun 24, 2008 at 03:39:46 AM EST
My right foot is like that. Not bad, but I'm aware of it. Seeing the GP for the bi-annual blood test (high cholesterol) a week from Monday, and I'll ask for a recommendation for a good podiatrist or sports doctor.

That foot is all sorts of screwed up, so the pain may just be something I have to live with. As I said, it's not bad.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Day X. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden)