Print Story on chairs
By clock (Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 03:42:49 AM EST) (all tags)
and other sundries.

friday night was...a long time ago.  or so it feels.  stacky and i continued our weekend ritual of firing up the lego star wars and getting our game on.  my mom was appalled by our hard-living lifestyle and is insisting that she take the dude home with her so he can be raised in a less party-oriented existence.  no way!  if the legos are too loud, you're too old!  um.  yeah.

saturday stacky was sick.  really sick.  feverish, achy, etc.  we're thinking that the reason the dude was in such a rough mood thursday and friday had more to do with him having the crud that the m-i-l brought back from philly than teething alone.  and dammit, why can't he cut those teeth already?  poor guy.  so stacky was sleeping all day saturday and the dude and i hung out with my mom.  he was in a great mood, so it was fun all day long.  we even grabbed a "dude nap" on the couch though he's bigger than he used to be and thus made my arm fall asleep faster and more often.  but he sleeps through the readjustments now, so we're all good.

by saturday evening everyone but stacky was hungry, so we headed out for bbq.  good stuff.  the dude didn't care for it, so he stuck to his concoction of sweet potatoes and ground beef.  he's a big eater, this kid.  mom and i had some good chats and it was a fun trip out, if a bit on the warm side.  when we got home, stacky was still sick but we brought her some take-out anyway.  she was up and about a little, but not too much.  i feel so bad when she's sick.  not fun.

sunday was, of course, father's day.  it was my first official father's day and it kicked ass!  my boy got me a new chair for my studio.  it's comfortable, solid and silent.  no more creaky folding chairs ruining my takes!  and it's really comfy.  i only go on and on because my studio or practicing chairs have always been something that was lying around or found at a garage sale.  it's nice to have furniture with a purpose.  i also got a rain check on a tool belt.  the dude claims that his ride to sears was too sick to take him.  it's his first father's day, so i'll let it slide.

bright and early sunday the dude took my dad and me to breakfast.  three dudes on the town!  it was a great time. it's hilarious to see my dad with the dude.  a more excited grandfather, there is not.  of course the dude had to bum some cash from me (i sense a theme here) to cover the check, but it's all good.

our little outing did bring to mind that this is actually the first time i've ever taken the dude anywhere by myself.  it seems strange, but it's true.  stacky is always with us.  and the only time that any errands are run without a full compliment of parents is when i'm at work.  for some reason it didn't feel right to think that he's 9.5 months old and just now hitting the town with the old man...but life is how it is.  just...weird.

of course after we got home from breakfast i took a quick nap and woke up feeling like ass.  great.  i was sick for most of the day but toughed it out enough so that we could go to dinner at the in-law's place.  had i not gone it would have cemented their argument that i don't like them because i never hang out with them.  you know...all that time that i could be hanging out over there during the week...while i'm at work...sigh.  i really feel bad for stacky because she has to take the brunt of that.  i think it's kind of funny, myself.  in any case, we went over and had a great dinner.  the dude did his charming thing and melted down at about 7 so we headed home.  i'm still not 100%, for the record.

other notes...

i'm trying to keep up with some old friends who are doing their damnedest to stay dry.  had i stayed where i was, i would have been evac'd some time ago and wouldn't have an office to go to.  it's a mess.  luckily, most of my friends live on hills...tall hills...so they're safe and dry.  and how 'bout them corn prices?  you did fire up the vegetable garden this year, right?  we.  are.  fucked.

some people think i'm too expensive.  um.  ok.  you said "senior" personnel.  i missed the implied "at junior to entry-level pay."  good luck with that.  and i'm sensing that in that market "senior" is 5  years of experience.  wow.

reading sedaris's new book (he is definitely at the middle of his game), some wendell berry (how did i miss this guy?) and schulz's bio (1/2 way through and still meh).  no wonder my dreams are a little "off."  the more i read the more there is to read.  sigh.

i'm taking off friday and monday.  a four day weekend is definitely overdue.  i'll hang out with mom some and we'll probably get the brakes done on the family mobile.  what i want most is to relax a little bit.  my ambient stress level is a little higher than usual.  not cool, yo.  not cool.

< I wanted to say that the wetsuit makes me look fat. | He said you must be joking son, where *did* you get those shoes? >
on chairs | 22 comments (22 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
stacky is always with us. by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #1 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 03:59:15 AM EST
So she finally decided that Daddy can be trusted not to drop the Dude, take him to various Dens of Iniquity, or otherwise harm him.

Actually, 10 months is pretty quick for that.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

+1, most likely by clock (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:03:43 AM EST
not/thatfaroff

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

whatever!! by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:57:02 AM EST
you know i have NO issues with you running off with the dude!!!!!  you just didn't want to do it (because it's a pain in the ass)

oh please! by clock (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:49:48 AM EST
MY son?  a pain?  i doubt that, my good lady!  he's the best all the time!  just ask your mom!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

We were around 7-8 weeks by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 06:43:51 AM EST
since Mrs. Ha went back to work.

stay dry by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:08:09 AM EST
had to parse that a few times. I didn't recall you mentioning any drinking problems...

Crapids! by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 05:18:46 AM EST
It's all a giant mess up there.

When you all are feeling better by theboz (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 05:36:00 AM EST
We should all get together for dim sum at Fung's Kitchen on a Sunday morning sometime.  My family and I went yesterday with a couple friends and I had forgotten how good it is.  The only thing is that you have to get there before 11:00am or else it gets really crowded.
- - - - -
that sounds great! by clock (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 05:38:59 AM EST
and the 11 thing is not a problem.  we're up and about by 7-ish on the weekends anyway.  the dude just doesn't "get" the sleeping in thing.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Just wait by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 06:25:40 AM EST
In a couple years, you'll get something much better than a chair. You'll get something made with paper, and crayons, and perhaps even glue!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
dare i hope... by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 06:30:38 AM EST
...for glitter and/or macaroni?

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Baby steps by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #22 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 02:58:55 AM EST
Baby steps.

Sounds like a good first Father's Day by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 06:44:19 AM EST

zero complaints. by clock (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 06:52:22 AM EST

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Tool belt, schmool belt... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 2) #12 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:37:48 AM EST

There is nothing that the Paraclete Gen 5 Molle Load Bearing Vest with add on back panel can't beat, given the proper set of attaching pouches for your tools. Plus, you'll look 10x more badass than anybody with a tool belt.

You know it's the right thing to do. America needs you.

I prefer a Sam Browne belt by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #14 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:54:19 AM EST
it goes better with my Star Trek (TOS) uniform.

Or as RB refers to it: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 09:27:32 AM EST
The documentary series.

Happy belated Father's Day! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:41:15 AM EST
Sedaris: Worth a purchase?

yes by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:57:51 AM EST
he's loving it

thanks! by clock (4.00 / 1) #18 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:50:55 AM EST
right back atcha!

and yes, it's worth it.  it doesn't hurt to read like "me talk pretty one day" but it is really good (though i don't think i could read it in public).

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Cool. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #20 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 09:28:41 AM EST
I believe it's still on sale @ Tar-jay, so I might go ahead and grab it.

yeah by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:42:01 PM EST
I've run into that 'too expensive' line a lot it seems.  Sometimes I get a little depressed, thinking maybe I'm just not worth it, and I'll be stuck where I am forever.

I fight those feelings though.

Also, the Schulz bio was okay.  Until I read the son's rebuttal.  I do read the peanuts a little differently now though.

Click