- Perhaps it's the enhanced short-term memory thing, the fact that everything is available NOW and INSTANTLY and ON DEMAND. My nephew, see, has no ambitions that I can pin down, though he has general ambitions. I think it's because, he doesn't need ambition. That's a long term thing, ambition. It's a desire for something that requires time, effort, and concentration. He doesn't need time, effort, or concentration. He's part of a generation of people who have an attention span shortened with each new CPU speed bump, a generation tied to supply on demand.
- This morning I listened to a spokesperson for the airline industry who stated that the airlines had to react the way that they are reacting to rising fuel costs because "no one could foresee that oil would rise in price this much." Think about that. No one could foresee that a finite, extremely popular, extremely valuable from a commodity traded on unregulated markets that primarily comes from volatile regions would rise in price this high? I think a sensible person...one not paid to speak to news people...would be surprised that oil isn't a thousand dollars an ounce.
- A month or more ago, I made a short investment in flour. I bake my own bread now, and a loaf a week is a lot of flour. So I purchased a large amount of organic white and whole wheat flour from King Arthur Flours, and it cost me $85. That same flour right now would cost me $120 with delivery. I have four months worth, and I'm buying another four months worth at $120. You can't have it. I saved some cash, and I bought your flour. You can't have any of it. I bought it. I drink your milkshake. I drink it up.
- Motorcycle: found a used Honda PC800, which is a bizarre little touring bike made for a couple of runs in the 90s. Always liked 'em from way, way back despite their scooter-like appearance. Emailed the guy (it was a craigslist ad) and he still had it. Told him I'd pay close to his asking for it in cash today. He said, sure. Called the guy this morning, and he'd sold it to someone else last night. When I see it on the road, I may have to teach the new owner a physics lesson.
- I have been phoned and / or emailed by roughly sixteen people since Saturday morning. Here's the deal: I can't go anywhere outside of Austin until I leave for Virginia. I have these dogs to deal with, and most boarding places are booked and / or difficult to get in to (I'm taking them in on the 25th to be evaluated for one as it is). So, though I'd love to travel to the Texas panhandle, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mexico, Canada, Washington DC, New York, Dallas (Dallas?), and etc., but I can't. But I love the idea. I just can't do it. I'm slogging my way through replies to various and sundry, but figured I'd mention it here just in case I forget to call and / or email. Strange to be this much in demand.
- We have a new guy starting in IT on the 1st, and we didn't need anybody. We don't have the room for him. We have nothing for him to do. He's an admin...a management-type admin...for a place that has all the cash they could want. So he's used to 1) order and procedure and 2) unlimited funds to solve problems. We have neither of these things. We're getting him because he is friends with our new boss. It's our new boss asserting his influence. So be it. I get paid regardless, and the guy couldn't UNIX his way out of a paper bag if I spotted him a pair of scissors and / or a shell.
- My primary purpose this week is grocery shopping, working, and sleeping. Everything else is a bonus. Your poll results implied that I need to cook stuff that I can't / won't normally, so I'm going to get a goose liver and some onions, some Irish butter, and a mix of organic herbs to make a quick and tasty foie gras. I'm going to try it the Au Pied de Cochon way. I anticipate this will end disastrously, which is partly why I am doing it.
- Second place from the poll was drinking and playing guitar tied with vidya games, which I did some of on Saturday and some on Sunday. I may record something sometime maybe. I combined to two and played Guitar Hero on the Wii for a bit last night. Then I went to bed and stayed awake until four this morning. Nothing like sleeping alone to make sleep feel like crap.
- Crazy hippie friends had their twins last night, and they're all OK. The universe expands, the world turns, and there are a pair of newborns out there now, lovin' the place up a bit. I say, hey, why not? Hot damn, hurray for hippie twins.
|< Lost HuSites | Went clubbing with spiralx >|