Print Story Day 3.
By blixco (Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:09:23 PM EST) (all tags)
Lists.

1. Perhaps it's the enhanced short-term memory thing, the fact that everything is available NOW and INSTANTLY and ON DEMAND.  My nephew, see, has no ambitions that I can pin down, though he has general ambitions.  I think it's because, he doesn't need ambition. That's a long term thing, ambition. It's a desire for something that requires time, effort, and concentration.  He doesn't need time, effort, or concentration.  He's part of a generation of people who have an attention span shortened with each new CPU speed bump, a generation tied to supply on demand.
  2. This morning I listened to a spokesperson for the airline industry who stated that the airlines had to react the way that they are reacting to rising fuel costs because "no one could foresee that oil would rise in price this much."  Think about that.  No one could foresee that a finite, extremely popular, extremely valuable from a commodity traded on unregulated markets that primarily comes from volatile regions would rise in price this high?  I think a sensible person...one not paid to speak to news people...would be surprised that oil isn't a thousand dollars an ounce.
  3. A month or more ago, I made a short investment in flour.  I bake my own bread now, and a loaf a week is a lot of flour. So I purchased a large amount of organic white and whole wheat flour from King Arthur Flours, and it cost me $85.  That same flour right now would cost me $120 with delivery.  I have four months worth, and I'm buying another four months worth at $120. You can't have it. I saved some cash, and I bought your flour.  You can't have any of it.  I bought it. I drink your milkshake.  I drink it up.
  4. Motorcycle: found a used Honda PC800, which is a bizarre little touring bike made for a couple of runs in the 90s.  Always liked 'em from way, way back despite their scooter-like appearance. Emailed the guy (it was a craigslist ad) and he still had it.  Told him I'd pay close to his asking for it in cash today. He said, sure. Called the guy this morning, and he'd sold it to someone else last night. When I see it on the road, I may have to teach the new owner a physics lesson.
  5. I have been phoned and / or emailed by roughly sixteen people since Saturday morning.  Here's the deal: I can't go anywhere outside of Austin until I leave for Virginia.  I have these dogs to deal with, and most boarding places are booked and / or difficult to get in to (I'm taking them in on the 25th to be evaluated for one as it is). So, though I'd love to travel to the Texas panhandle, New Mexico, Louisiana, Mexico, Canada, Washington DC, New York, Dallas (Dallas?), and etc., but I can't.  But I love the idea.  I just can't do it.  I'm slogging my way through replies to various and sundry, but figured I'd mention it here just in case I forget to call and / or email.  Strange to be this much in demand.
  6. We have a new guy starting in IT on the 1st, and we didn't need anybody.  We don't have the room for him. We have nothing for him to do. He's an admin...a management-type admin...for a place that has all the cash they could want.  So he's used to 1) order and procedure and 2) unlimited funds to solve problems.  We have neither of these things.  We're getting him because he is friends with our new boss.  It's our new boss asserting his influence.  So be it.  I get paid regardless, and the guy couldn't UNIX his way out of a paper bag if I spotted him a pair of scissors and / or a shell.
  7. My primary purpose this week is grocery shopping, working, and sleeping. Everything else is a bonus.  Your poll results implied that I need to cook stuff that I can't / won't normally, so I'm going to get a goose liver and some onions, some Irish butter, and a mix of organic herbs to make a quick and tasty foie gras. I'm going to try it the Au Pied de Cochon way. I anticipate this will end disastrously, which is partly why I am doing it.
  8. Second place from the poll was drinking and playing guitar tied with vidya games, which I did some of on Saturday and some on Sunday.  I may record something sometime maybe.  I combined to two and played Guitar Hero on the Wii for a bit last night.  Then I went to bed and stayed awake until four this morning.  Nothing like sleeping alone to make sleep feel like crap.
  9. Crazy hippie friends had their twins last night, and they're all OK.  The universe expands, the world turns, and there are a pair of newborns out there now, lovin' the place up a bit. I say, hey, why not?  Hot damn, hurray for hippie twins.
< Lost HuSites | Went clubbing with spiralx >
Day 3. | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I'm such a dork by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:32:06 PM EST
I'd love a PC800, built in watertight laptop and grocery holders!

They're neat. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:40:57 PM EST
The one I was looking at was a 1990 with 37k miles, new tires, new fork seals, new brake parts, recent oil change, and inspected last week.  Oh, and a new headlight (the oe headlight cover fogged, so he got a glass one).  It had the original Kenwood stereo.  For chrissakes.

I really wanted it.  I'm pretty pissed.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Odd by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:36:22 PM EST
You can't get bulk flour locally?  Costco or Sams?

Just curious.  I would think that you could make a deal with a local baker or contact the local supply company and get some.  Do you buy direct from King Arthur?

Just wondering, I buy malt extracts 55lbs quantities for the purposes of making beer.  I end up having to buy it from a Minnesota company even though the malt extract is made by Briess in Chilton, Wisconsin, less than an hour away.  Shipping is a killer.

You gotta start making liquid bread now.  :-)

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz

The flour I use by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:39:09 PM EST
is pricey if you buy it @ 50 pounds.  There are local supplies for it, but I buy direct and save tax (and they are delivering in the area, so I don't add to the carbon footprint).  They make some excellent flours...consistent and tasty.

I'm looking into a local-ish mill, but they're pricey and annoying, and appear to be buying non-organic wheat.

Man, if I had the patience and the cooler space for it, I'd make beer.  I may start once we move away from the oven that is central Texas.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Doesn't by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:47:19 PM EST
Doesn't the shipping come to more than the tax?  Or does Texas have crazy sales tax? Ours is only 5% or 5.5% in the Lambeau Field Special Tax District.

If you ever want to consider getting into brewing, let me know I would be happy to help you out.  There are some beers, such as a Saison, that will ferment out even in your Texas temperatures.

Heh, I should send you some brewer's yeast to make bread with.  I'd like to see what kind of bread Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale would make.  Or Papazain's Cry Havoc yeast.

Gedvondur

I make a fine beer bread, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:54:02 PM EST
and it's easy as heck. Seriously, it's like a biscuit.  It's awesome.

In re: shipping, our tax is 8.5% (no income tax, though), and the last time I purchased from King Arthur the shipping was $5.  I don't know if they'll have the same special this time.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Texas taxes food?!?!? by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:42:32 PM EST
Yes? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #13 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 04:32:23 AM EST
I mean, why wouldn't we?
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Oh wait. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #14 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 04:34:42 AM EST
Food, no.  Sundries, yes.  I seriously never knew this.

From the state website:

* TEXAS has NO state income tax.
    * TEXAS has NO local income tax.
    * TEXAS has NO tax on food purchased for home consumption. (ie: food bought in a grocery store or market.)

Huh.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

still going by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:21:22 PM EST
to redneck western mountain VA, ya ? No tidewater visit ?

yeah by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:53:05 PM EST
Number 3 is why gas prices are so high, but because it's gas everyone thinks it shouldn't ever make anyone a profit.

We have a few 'installed by management because they're friends' at work.  They CEO level people too.  It sucks.

Click

How much is "a lot"? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:58:39 PM EST
Bob's Red Mill is about $1/lb.

What type(s) do you buy?
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Oil is so high by debacle (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 04:08:53 AM EST
Because of the unexpected and rampant deregulation of the oil trade during the tenure of the Bush administration. I don't think anyone, reasonably, could have expected that.

You're not paying attention, then, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #12 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 04:31:54 AM EST
but that's OK.  It's not your job.

It is, though, a job that someone somewhere in the airline industry has.

Dude gets paid to do that.  That's all he does.  And he's not very good at it.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Bread by zarathus (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 05:42:34 AM EST
If you won't share your flour, how about your favorite bread recipe?

----------
Blogger - n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.
My standard whole wheat: by blixco (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 06:45:06 AM EST
Combine in a bowl:
2 cups whole wheat organic flour
1 cup organic white bread flour
2 tablespoons ground flax seed
1.5 tsp wheat gluten

In your mixing bowl:
1 cup + 1 tablespoon warm water (90 degrees or so)
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons olive oil (or butter)
2 tablespoons honey

Then, yeast:
1.5 tsp quick rise (if you're using a bread machine).

This makes a great loaf of whole wheat bread.  I've also cut the wheat flour in half and used 1 cup of oat flour, one cup of whole wheat, and one cup of white.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Oh, and by blixco (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 06:59:24 AM EST
I should probably mention that the method for this recipe is best left to the preferred method of the baker.  If you use this in a machine, put the water in first, then salt / honey / oil, then the flours, then form a small pocket and add the yeast.

If you're doing it by hand, then throw it all together and knead like a maniac, and go through the normal rise cycles (three rises, normally a full day).  Note that the 1.5tsp of vital wheat gluten will make the dough tough to work (adds a lot of spring to the dough).
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Actually, by bruno (4.00 / 1) #18 Wed Jun 18, 2008 at 08:35:34 AM EST
those babies are being rebellious and are conservative christian rednecks with a healthy fear of God.

Oh they'll learn by blixco (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jun 18, 2008 at 08:42:34 AM EST
though the little boy looked somewhat....republican.
---------------------------------