Print Story Eye update
Health
By toxicfur (Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 10:40:45 AM EST) (all tags)
etc.

On Saturday, my eye doctor diagnosed me with bacterial conjunctivitis and sent me on my way with a prescription for an antibiotic eyedrop. Well, he actually had the receptionist call it in, but that's beside the point. The doctor assured me that I should feel a lot better by Sunday.

This morning I had a follow-up with the eye doctor  I really didn't feel very much better. He examined me and said that I was improving, though not as much as he would like, and he prescribed another drop, this one with a steroid, to supplement the antibiotic.

I might be a bit better, but light -- especially sunlight, even filtered through clouds -- is extraordinarily painful. It's hard to explain -- it feels like my eyes are exploding backwards into my skull. My eyes water, my nose drips, and I have great difficulty holding my eyes open in the light.

This makes stuff like, say, everything I enjoy doing pretty much impossible. Even with the computer screen dimmed, the blurriness of my vision (apparently, the infection has made the cornea rough, especially over my pupils, thus causing the blurriness). Reading hurts because I need light on the page to read. Gardening is painful because of the fucking day star. The tv is too bright.

Yesterday afternoon, I lay on the couch with my eyes closed, listening to the new David Sedaris audiobook. That makes me not such great company. Ana reassures me that it's okay, but it isn't, really. This was ana's birthday weekend, and all I want to do is sit around in the dark and moan softly.

Also, yesterday was Father's Day. I miss my grandfather. It's "holidays" like Father's Day that only serve to make me maudlin, focusing on what I don't have.

At least Friday night was fun. We almost never do anything spontaneous. Sometimes we'll go out to a movie spontaneously on Saturday afternoon or something, but that's about it. So when ad hoc suggested meeting for a couple of drinks, my first impulse was "not tonight," but then I was like, why not? And it was great. We need to do stuff like that more often.

Today is ana's birthday, and I wrapped up all the gifts except the shoes. I feel bad that the shoe-buying experience wasn't great. I really want all of these celebratory things to be perfect, but something always happens to keep it from being perfect. There's nothing I could've done to make it better, I think, except for yelling at the clerk. I hope the shoes really are good enough, and that ana's happy with them.

The other things were small -- coffee from an online service ana had mentioned wanting to try, a new coffee carafe that's supposed to keep stuff hot for, like two days, a Wendy Carlos instructional cd, and a card from the dogs and cat. And then dinner tonight at the Duck Walk -- one of the best Thai restaurants in our little suburban area. It's pricy enough that we don't go there except for special occasions, but it's worth it.

In other news, my tomatoes, peppers, and pole beans are growing. The tomatoes and peppers are blooming, and the tomatoes will need to be staked soon, I think. My rose bush has blooms, but some of the leaves are turning tan and have holes in them. I don't know what's eating them. Aphids, probably, since the boxwood hedges in the back of our house (away from the rose bush and the tomatoes, but still) are absolutely covered. The cloud of aphids on the patio looks like some sort of drug-induced hallucination from A Scanner Darkly. I need to do research to find out how to get rid of them (import ladybugs? non-toxic pesticide? magic?).

Also, I want to spend some of my Mondays off this summer hiking and maybe renting a boat from the Spot Pond boating thing. Later in the summer, I'll need to can tomatoes and chilis. Hopefully, by then, I'll be able to see.

< You forbid me? | Lost HuSites >
Eye update | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
It's wonderful, thanks. by ana (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 10:47:50 AM EST
I'm sure the shoes will be fine. The old thermos bottle didn't really hold the heat very well, so a new one is welcome. And I learned a lot just listening once to the Wendy Carlos lecture, which I'll do several more times to absorb most of it.

As you say, the coffee fool stuff is nice, at least. Not obviously better (or worse) than the other stuff we've had, to my taste, but certainly worth trying.

And the card from the critters was fun. :-)

In a word, my dear, you rock. I'm looking forward to the Duck Walk.

And I hope your eyes are better very soon.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

+1FP; WENDY CARLOS by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 11:26:43 AM EST
Also, most garden shops/hardware stores will sell you some ladybugs. Around here, at least.

Hmmm. by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 11:31:28 AM EST
Perhaps I should check with my local really awesome nursery to see what they have.... I hadn't thought about their having lady bugs.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
I know your pain... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 11:56:06 AM EST
When I got my ass kicked at the Dead Kennedys (couldn't find it in the archive :( ), I had iritis.  Every time my iris focused or refocused, it felt like someone was putting a burning thumb in my eye.  I covered that eye but every time my good eye would focus, my bad one would focus instinctively and more burning thumb.  Eventually, the doc gave me a steroid and something to paralyze my eye.  After a week of eyedrops, I could see without burning again.  But that week kinda sucked... :(

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Ow, ow, ow. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 12:05:44 PM EST
:( That just sucks. I'm glad it did recover -- I was  starting to think I needed to put an orange vest on one of my pups.
read by? by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:57:19 PM EST
The author?  I'd be disappointed if it was not.

Click
Yes, it was. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 02:07:05 AM EST
It was a pretty good audiobook, and I tend to like Sedaris's stuff read (by him) over reading it myself. Still, not his best, I think, and it was pretty clear he was trying very hard to head off any accusations of misrepresenting fiction as memoir (if you remember that little tempest a few months ago).
Maybe you're mutating by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 05:00:02 PM EST
What's your superpower going to be?
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I hope... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #10 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 02:07:52 AM EST
that it'll mean I can shoot laser beams out of my eyes.
I hope your eyes improve by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 05:28:15 PM EST
If it helps, I'll tell you what I got my partner for Baby Daddy Day (/me ducks).

The Loch Ness Imposter.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Slightly better today. by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #11 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 02:09:56 AM EST
I took the dogs outside without keeping my eyes clenched shut. Will be interesting to see how walking to the T is, and please forgive me if I wear sunglasses in the office.

The Loch Ness Imposter rocks. That literally made me LOL.

i'm sure... by clock (4.00 / 1) #12 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 03:16:16 AM EST
...that the b-day was awesome and it was appreciated!

as for the bugs, stacky uses something called garrett juice and it keeps our tomatoes, etc bug free.  it's organic goo.  i dunno...but it works.  worth a look, i'd guess.

hope your eyes get better soon!  that just SUCKS.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

I'm going to check into the garrett juice... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 06:03:22 AM EST
I don't want the bugs to start attacking my tomatoes -- though they seem to be fine so far. I just absolutely don't want to follow the lead of my neighbors and start dumping poison all over my yard....

The eyes are slowly getting better, I think. Thanks for the good wishes.

Eye update | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback