Print Story Try my new diet!
By ucblockhead (Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:31:57 AM EST) (all tags)
I lost seven pounds this weekend while eating whatever I wanted!

It's called the "Food Poisoning diet". I haven't eaten much in the way of solid food since Friday. Whenever I try I quickly feel bloated and uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever experienced such a complete lack of appetite.

And no, I haven't eaten any tomatoes.

I'm here at work, but may call the doctor and return home.

I finished Little Fuzzy last Friday. It only took me two days of train reading. I remember being a kid and reading a book a day. I've always thought "pity I don't get time to read so much anymore", but now I wonder how much of that was that books these days have gotten so long. Does anyone write 200 page novels anymore?

The review: it held up well. I was surprised at how much of an adult book it was, given the title and the last time I read it. It was dated in ways I found fascinating. Everyone drinking highballs and smoking like chimneys. You could write a dissertion on the way it shows how attitudes have changed. Some many of the attitudes of modern SF have become so ingrained that we take them for granted. Here we see a more rural, wild west attitude. Big companies: bad. (Ok, that's the same.) Military: good. Local cops: mostly good. Judges: good. Loners with guns: good. Yet the questions of ecology and corporate control are as modern as you can get and it gets megabonus points for being a 1962 novel featuring a female career woman who is not only competent and non-reliant on men.

The novel itself appeals despite its failings. The deck is a bit stacked against the villains of the piece, and what suspense there is is accomplished by hiding certain facts from the viewer. The novel is a question of what makes a creature sentient, but the Fuzzies are so completely and obviously sentient that the villains don't really have a chance. Of course, this is all dependent on the basic decency of most people, one of the themes of the book.

I'm surprised no one has tried to make a movie out of this.

< He said you must be joking son, where *did* you get those shoes? | Big Bird >
Try my new diet! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nevermind your bandaid 'food poisoning' diet... by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:42:08 AM EST

Join the bandwagon and embrace my depression diet! Seven pounds is chump change, compared to the 75 lbs I lost by just not giving a shit about eating for months on end!

bah! my cow-orker has you both beat by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:45:46 AM EST
Thanks to an intestinal virus, and the inability to keep anything down for a week, he lost 30 pounds in seven days.

Cicero, The Republic
30 pounds in 7 days? by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #4 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:58:33 AM EST
norovirus by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:16:24 AM EST
got me down 10-15 lbs in 3 days.

Ooh, where can I get some? (nt) by fluffy (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 09:30:26 AM EST
take a cruise by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 10:04:03 AM EST
Though it seems to be cropping up in schools and nursing homes now as well.

Victors or Sweet Tomatoes by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 10:38:15 AM EST
Or perhaps the espresso machine in the kitchen area.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
In fact, a trip to the hospital was made by lm (2.00 / 0) #8 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:29:26 AM EST
A few bags of fluids were pumped in and he was sent on his merry way. Well, maybe not so merry.

Cicero, The Republic
or better yet... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:05:48 AM EST
...the amputation diet. that leg is literally dead weight! lose 30 pounds in 30 minutes!

dated in ways I found fascinating by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 07:51:25 AM EST
The computer technology, such as it is, is highly dated. True of Heinlein's and Asimov's (most SF's) work of the period too.

Piper had woman who were competent and non-reliant on men in most of his books. In The Cosmic Computer they even go into combat next to the men. Uller Uprising likewise.

And the Lord Kalvan and other Paratime books have very strong women likewise. The sort who know how to use weapons and aren't afraid to do so.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Um... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:16:57 AM EST
Does anyone write 200 page novels anymore?

Yeah, I do. :-D

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I would be right in thinking by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 01:15:58 PM EST
You're vegetarian?  In which case, how does a vegetarian become susceptible to the food poison bacteria?

Not trolling here (for once!), just thought almost all vegetarian fare was not a vector for the gastrointestinal assault microbes...

If only by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #13 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 02:35:24 PM EST
Here in the US we're in the middle of a tomato-born salmonella scare.

In this case, though, the doctor tells me that my issue is a stomach flu, not food poisoning.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Salmonella in tomatoes? by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #15 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 12:18:55 AM EST
Blimey, is nothing safe?

Here: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 03:57:59 PM EST
Underpaid migrant farm workers are kept in near-slavery conditions whilst picking fruits and vegetables and many farmers provide inadequate sanitary comforts, so a lot of dirty hands touch the produce and people often fail to wash their produce--because--hey--who wants to eat soapy lettuce?

Ah I can see that by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 12:20:04 AM EST
I shall be washing my vegetables more assiduously in the future.

and let's not forget ... by BlueOregon (2.00 / 0) #18 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 03:45:33 PM EST

... the e. coli & spinach problem a year (or two?) ago.

Blimey by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Jun 18, 2008 at 01:45:13 AM EST
Wonder what Popeye would have made of that...

Frosties and double cream by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Jun 17, 2008 at 09:41:26 AM EST
I put double cream on my Frosties as part of my calroie controlled diet. If you are going to put up with feeling hungry you must have the consolation of having enjoyed the little that you do eat.

Try my new diet! | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback