Print Story Friday, end o the week, like.
By ana (Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 11:36:25 AM EST) SummerFunChallenge, SFC (all tags)
Great ending to a good week.

And an Attention Boston Infidels kind of an item.

It's been an interesting week. A colleague and I have a summer student this year. This guy just finished his junior year in the Great Midwest, and is interested in doing research. My employer has a program where they bring in about a dozen such folks to work with scientists here for 8 weeks each summer, provide dorm space, a small stipend, and, in due course, travel money to present their results to the society meeting next winter. (Long Beach in January, yay.)

It's kind of interesting watching his enthusiasm, soaking up tutorials on this and that software, poking around on the web looking for the data we've identified as interesting, and going from elation (Wow! You can just download data off the web!) to something less (jeez, this is gonna be complicated).

But we got through enough of the processing that we can see the filaments moving that we wanted to measure the motion of; and derive temperatures of the regions behind said filaments. So we have a project, and the rest is sweating the details and beating on the error bars.

It's kinda fun, teaching again, even though the audience is only one person.

Had lunch with gpig today. Also present were iGrrrl and son MJ, toxicfur, ad hoc, and myself. Some of you out there will recall Buddha's Delight (which moved upstairs since the Great Husimeet of Aught Four) and their "meat" menu (it's a vegan restaurant, with remarkably lifelike imitation meat dishes).

I think it's the consensus that gpig is fun to hang out with, and we hope he finds empolyment here so he can stay (as does he, though for more immediate and personal reasons). I gather he'll be in the area for a couple more weeks.

WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER IN THE EVENING FOR DINNER AND DRINKING before he has to go back to Soviet Scotchistan. Suggestions for venues, activities, and times are welcome.

First softball practice of the summer was last Wednesday. My quads are still stiff, as are several muscles around my ribcage. I'm soooo out of shape. I've found I can hit fly balls to the 2nd baseman. If you have to pick one position to do that to, right field would be it; followed by 2nd base, since the weakest members of the team (/me raises hand enthusiastically) often get assigned to those positions. And, quads permitting, I can still run faster than most people my age, which I think some of the opposition last year found rather surprising.

I finished reading Good Fairies of New York (Martin Millar) and started in on The Eyre Affair (Jasper Fforde). Both delightful, but in totally different ways.

The bright sun and heavy pollen load are making toxicfur's eyes itch and ache. I hope it's better soon.

I'm still considering doing a rewrite of my latest Nano this summer. I have a number of ideas for stuff to do differently this time around, and I think if I do it more slowly, say over a period of 2-3 months instead of one, there'll be time to do stuff like work out the details of the three interbraided and entangled timelines. And to create corroborative detail to lend an air of verisimilitude to an otherwise bald and unconvincing narrative (am I quoting Gilbert [of Gilbert & Sullivan]?)(!).

I'm interested in hearing what creative things y'all are contemplating for the summer, and if we can organize a mutual cheering-on kind of an activity.

The pride parade is this weekend. I've never been. Dunno if we'll go this year or not. It'd be cool to encounter a little slice of Provincetown closer to home, now and then.

< Lazy Friday MLPlaylist | Cognitive? Dis' son in'nt... >
Friday, end o the week, like. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
2nd base is weak ? by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 02:04:43 PM EST
Hmm. I know right field usually is (and the catcher..), but I'm used to strong second base (and shortstop).. 1st is the 'slowest' guy, since they usually need a great glove, but not much movement.

Tuesday evening next? by johnny (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 05:18:53 PM EST
Probability of my being in Boston that evening looking like greater than 70%.

Most likely will be taking bus up from Woods Hole if  gpig wants to join me.

Also, shout-out to ad-hoc: is the writer-in-residence couch available that evening?
Buy my books, dammit!

Should work for us. by ana (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Jun 14, 2008 at 02:40:41 AM EST
Also, yay! A johnny appearance in Bostonia!

We have a spare bed or two if there's a need.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Kellnerin probability by Kellnerin (4.00 / 1) #4 Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 05:55:30 AM EST
for Tuesday 6/17 is non-zero, but that's about all I can say for now. I am for the moment downing antihistamines like crazy, but can't say if the cause of my misery is sickness, stress, pollen, or some combination of the above. The current project is coming to a close sometime next week, and my body has a way of letting me get sick just as soon as the pressure is over rather than just, like, mellowing out. So, we'll see. Sad to say, I've not been a lot of fun lately.

"Late to the party" is the new "ahead of the curve" -- CRwM
pollen is a funny thing by infinitera (2.00 / 0) #8 Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 07:51:01 PM EST
I started feeling better, saw pollen counts dropping, and stopped taking claritin. And then a few days later, pollen counts were way high again, and I felt miserable.

Moo by gpig (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 06:37:43 AM EST
Tuesday evening is out for me I'm afraid, already got dinner plans (ironically, with some folks that are coming from Boston ....)
(,   ,') -- eep
Oh well by johnny (2.00 / 0) #9 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 01:18:10 PM EST
Not coming to Boston Tuesday after all.

But soon, I think. Maybe Thursday or Friday.
Buy my books, dammit!

Sorry to hear it. by ana (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 04:37:17 PM EST
Let us know if you reschedule.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

It was great to meet the famous Boston HuSistas by gpig (2.00 / 0) #6 Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 06:45:22 AM EST
Also, I agree that WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER IN THE EVENING FOR DINNER AND DRINKING. Yes, it is definitely important enough to warrant capital letters. We're setting off for the Mid West on the 27th for some visiting, so we should try to arrange something before then. I'll have a think about times and maybe suggest something ....
(,   ,') -- eep
I can attest by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #7 Sun Jun 15, 2008 at 11:41:21 AM EST
I think it's the consensus that gpig is fun to hang out with

Further examination, with the addition of gpig's most interesting girlfriend on Saturday, adds significant data to support the conclusion.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Friday, end o the week, like. | 10 comments (10 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback