Print Story Quick anecdote
By jayhawk88 (Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 04:06:36 PM EST) (all tags)
From TechEd, re Vista.

So the first morning session at TechEd today was a wasteland. I thought it, and at least three other conversations I overheard at breakfast confirmed this as well. A small sample of the sessions offered:
  • Application Lifecycle Management and Line-of-Business Project Development Using Microsoft Visual Studio Team Foundation
  • Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Reporting Services: Scalable Reporting
  • Microsoft Office Project Server 2007 Disaster Recovery
  • Creating Portals That Last: Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies, Governance and Information Architecture
  • Building an Enterprise-Wide Instrumentation Solution Using the Microsoft BizTalk BAM Infrastructure
Whooo! When does the party stop? And so it was that I found myself at "Why IT Pros Will Want to Deploy Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 NOW!". Now going in I had joked here and to others about the sheer number of "Hey you need to upgrade to Vista, please" sessions that were offered at this year's TechEd, so I figured what the heck, I'll go check it out. Plus it was being given by a non-MS guy, so there might be a semblance of objectivity.

A quick note about the Orange County Convention Center: There are two main areas where rooms are located, north and south, each having about 4 rooms that are capable of holding somewhere north of 1000 people. This session was in the largest of these rooms, a rough count of the chairs revealing seating for at least 1700. Plus it was the first session of the day (with everyone there for the free breakfast, every morning session I've had in two years now has been nearly full), going up against damn near nothing else on the schedule.

So it is perhaps telling about the state of Vista that there probably wasn't more than 500 people at this session.

The session itself, as well as the speaker, was OK; nothing special but not horrible either. About halfway through it became a weird plea to all of us to move to IPv6. Did you know that if only you would upgrade all your workstations to Vista, and maybe also do the small, trivial task of upgrading all your switches and routers, you could realize an 80% increase in network performance? Yeah there might be a few legacy apps that don't like IPv6 but that's the problem of the developers of the software and undoubtedly you can just get a patch or quit using it altogether. And oh yeah, in the future you won't need a border router, because IPv6 has enough IP addresses for every star in the known universe to have 2^52 IP addresses, and IPSec is built in so there's no need anymore for NAT. And anyway IPv6 has super powers that allow it to just bypass NAT. Yeah.

OK so I made it sound pretty crazy, but really it wasn't bad. But still, if the best reason a consultant, of all people, can come up with for moving to Vista is to basically guilt us into moving to IPv6, it says a lot doesn't it? To me the real signal here is that MS is even talking about Windows 7 in any way, shape, or form so close to the release of Vista SP1 (a.k.a., "It's a real OS now guys"). Sure they have to pimp it to get as many sales as possible, but personally I believe they've already written it off internally.

Other than that the conference has been OK. Pretty interesting session this afternoon about Windows Logon, LM, NTLM, Kerberos, etc. Got a pretty good PDF that does a good job of explaining how Kerberos works. I've come to the conclusion, though, that going to TechEd every year is kind of a waste: just not enough new and/or different from last year to make it worth the effort/cost. Told my boss as much as well, so likely I will not be going to LA next year. Which is fine, since I'm sure I would be the worst person in the world if I jetted off to LA for a week and left Jenn with a couple of....counting.....~8 month old girls to deal with by herself.

< Working from home is hard | By-election fun and games >
Quick anecdote | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Out of curiousity by theboz (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 04:45:39 PM EST
Did you run into a rather large, loud, black girl that was a little too eager to be there?  Two of my coworkers went that are Microsoft zealots, and she apparently attacked the mascots there.
- - - - -
Not personally by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 06:02:03 PM EST
But I did see the mascots making the rounds today. Talk about out of place. If you consider the kind of people who attend an MS conference, taken as a whole, you probably couldn't find a group of people less interested in interacting with people dressed up in large foam mascot costumes. I mean granted there's always someone there willing to play the game, but when 90% of the people at your conference are walking past them without even giving them a look, are you really accomplishing anything by running these guys out?

Speaking of zealots, I was cruising the TechNet store, looking baby clothes that might have been considered cute. They had some, pink even, but they all said "Microsoft Girl" or "Baby" or something like that. Now, I'm not exactly a Slashdot M$ h4t3r or anything, but even so, I can't imagine ever clothing my child in something that said "Microsoft Baby". If it would have even been just a general witty saying with an MS logo stuck somewhere I probably would have went for it, but not when it's "Microsoft Baby" plastered across the belly as big as life.

Yep by theboz (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 04:00:53 AM EST

That's why I mentioned my coworker, because she showed us photos another person took of her running up to them, apparently yelling something like "YAAAAAAY!!" and jumping and hugging them.  I'm sure lots of people who witnessed that were probably thinking "ID TEN TEE!"

I bet those don't sell to well because the people who would be willing to put Microsoft propaganda all over their kids are about as likely to get laid as the "Slashdot M$ h4t3rz0r" crowd.
- - - - -
IPv6 by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Jun 12, 2008 at 10:45:47 PM EST
Been there, did that in 2003. I almost wish people would stop hyping it and be a bit more conservative because those who have not yet had a business case to deploy it are not going to be persuaded by cheerleading.

Switches and routers generally need upgrading as a matter of course. To extend the lifetime of your next set, just make sure what you buy can support IPv6. Don't turn it on when your internal apps are not ready - any problems will be blamed on IPv6, not the app.

Of course you need border routers. Lots of addresses does not equate to a big flat global network:)

And for the love of donuts, don't tell people it is for bypassing NAT. They'll file it as a security problem and hacker tool and never deploy it:(

I've no doubt by jayhawk88 (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 01:22:28 AM EST
That all our stuff is probably ip6 compatible already, I just found the comment from the presenter amusing. "If you deploy Vista and ip6 you'll see 895% performance increase on your network! And it will work with your networking kit! And if not, well just upgrade them!" As if replacing your non-compatible core router is something you might do over lunch.

And actually it was this same presenter who was talking about border routers allowing all ipv6 traffic by default, and something about Teredo encapsulation in UDP packets to get past NAT's. He really spinning this as a "Hey look what might be happening at your border router you don't know about" type thing, and followed it up with "So you should move to IPv6 to stop this".

Presenter's name? by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Jun 13, 2008 at 02:37:53 AM EST
So I can have someone go slap him at a conference?

Wow 80% awesome by duxup (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Jun 16, 2008 at 08:07:44 AM EST
I can't wait to not use my critical application even faster!
____