Print Story Hey
By yankeehack (Thu May 08, 2008 at 08:14:57 PM EST) (all tags)
Long time no see. I am ok.

Also, the other day, in truly spectacular fashion, I managed to take out not one, but two car tires.

I was pulling out of a parking spot at LO's aftercare and there was a curb on the right that ran the length of the car. I was parking perpendicular to the building and this was the first spot next to a curbed ramp of sorts. So when I pulled out of the spot, I didn't pull out far enough and as I turned the wheel 90 degrees to drive out of the lot I ran over the edge of the curb (which I could not see as I had been parked right next to it). The car is AWD, with low profile tires and had no problem going over the curb.

It was so not awesome. The tires popped, loudly. Parents picking up their kids gawked, a few asked if we were ok and if we needed help. It took an hour and a half for a tow truck to arrive. At least it was 80 degrees out and sunny. LO told me after it happened, "It's ok Mom, everyone does things like this sometimes."

I should get the car later today (I've been borrowing my parents) to the tune of some $500 out of pocket or so.

This is the first time I've logged in, I know, what, 6 months or so. And I don't know what is going on here, so forgive me as I catch up.

Life updates...

-LO TURNED 10. And I feel old. She is doing well, blossoming into a wonderful, curious kid. School is almost over and camp will be starting next month. I sponsored her b-day party and everyone she invited came (it was also held at the new birthday hotspot in town). The only other news is that she is starting to say that wants to live with me, as her dad got re-married and she doesn't like the stepmom.

-I've started to flat iron my hair and since it now reaches beyond my shoulders by a good few inches, I definitely get attention.

- I got into a verbal tiff with the ex a few months ago about money (he thinks that he doesn't need to pay as much even though he makes 2x my salary) and such so I told him to go get a lawyer. It felt really good to tell him that. So he gets a local lawyer, local lawyer basically tells him he's up a creek until later this year, which I knew (or if I start cohabitating with someone). Ex has local lawyer start transferring the paperwork down here, which is fine. I ran this all by The Lawyer (yes, the hard to break up one one I dated, we are friendly and he said that he'd help me out) who laughed and said "oh I know that lawyer, we went to school together, let me give him a call". Haven't heard much since then.

-Family is ok, I became an aunt in January, my brother and sis in law are some what reconciled with my parents who are enjoying the second grandbaby, my sister is her usual self.

-I am in the process of looking for another job (no real chance of a bonus and/or significant advancement where I am at now) and now, in my advanced state of my career means actually getting recruiter calls and working the network. I've been contacted 2x/3x a mo since about November (local tech/online market is tight) and have also done some due diligence and applied for other jobs. I've interviewed with the few local tech startups and such. Walked away from one offer in Feb from a local "media agency" as they wanted to put me on a flat fee + bonus for a job with a particular skillset I have.

-And the big news in my universe at the moment is that last week I got a cold call from a recruiter from a major tech company holy fucking understatement who saw my linkedin and other online presence. I spoke to him and after we spoke, he realized that he had an open position for a particular skillset I have and that it would be ok for me to telecommute. He recommended that I speak to the VP, which I actually did today. The VP said that they've been looking for my skillset for a while. The only real outstanding question that he knew is that they were hoping for someone to work with them at the HQ, which is out of the question for me. At any rate, I should hopefully know soon and be brought into a local subsidiary office for a second interview as both the recruiter and the VP said that they work fast.

-New guy in my life for the past few months. I've been pondering for a while what to say to you guys about him. Pretty much who I've been looking for, in the long term. Hellaciously smart (ivy league PhD), very successful (high level exec at local company), in that (almost ready) to settle down phase. Even with all of that, we are actually pretty similar, have similar habits. He is also in wonder of my online life, and you guys, who I've talked about. On the weekends I see him, we literally get dressed and go out to the expensive restaurants and hang out in the city together. It's a different life.

There's something to be said about dark places and tears and being by yourself on New Years. I feel better now though.

That is all.

< Who picked first full week of May? | Ugh >
Hey | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
YAY! by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu May 08, 2008 at 09:33:56 PM EST
We wuz worried!

And his nick would be ? by Phage (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu May 08, 2008 at 10:40:02 PM EST
Good to see you back.

linkedin by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:18:19 AM EST
I should consider joining, though my industry is pretty small.

It may be worth it. by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:45:13 AM EST
I haven't decided. Yesterday I got an email from a former boss who I'd linked to on LinkedIn asking if I knew anyone who knew C and Python.

Though given that this is the guy known around our house as "the fucker who didn't pay me", the results are so far mixed.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Who do you hate? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:48:13 AM EST
Pass their name along.

Name's too common (nt) by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:49:43 AM EST

[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
No, to the former boss by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:53:49 AM EST
so they can get screwed out of money.

Names by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:59:45 AM EST
That's the common name. I don't want to tar everyone else with the same name.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
I joined by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:57:25 AM EST
But only because someone invited me to be a contact.  Maybe I should pay it some attention.

I don't have many professional social contacts by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri May 09, 2008 at 06:59:34 AM EST
I have friends, real and virtual, who have a vague understanding of what I do, and co-workers that I don't socialize with.

Networking by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri May 09, 2008 at 07:01:01 AM EST
I use mine almost entirely for people I've worked with, not people I've socialized with. It's a way of networking with people you don't want to have to actually talk to.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
i've been working here/with since 1990 by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri May 09, 2008 at 07:07:22 AM EST
except for six months at a mailing software company, so most of the people I worked with are still affiliated with $corp.

Bad rep in UKia by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri May 16, 2008 at 05:22:36 AM EST
Mainly inhabited by agents. We have job boards that work very well.

Ouch :( by kwsNI (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:24:26 AM EST
I had something similiar happen.  Driving to work one morning before sunrise, ran over an electrical box that was lying in the street (yes, the little 2"x4"x3" box that holds the outlets in your house, not the big metal panel boxes or anything like that).  Not only did it pop both tires on the passenger's side of my car, the corner punched thru the front wheel and dented the rear.  2 new tires and wheels:  $1600.  Even worse, it's not considered a road hazard or comprehensive insurance claim, they consider it a wreck and upped my rates significantly.

At least you're alright though and no one was hurt.

And glad to hear about the new man.  :)

I gouged up the side of a minivan once by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:36:03 AM EST
Turning too tight around a handicapped parking sign.

The good news was that the van was driveable and old so I just lived with the humiliation.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Yeah, someone did that to our minivan too by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:46:47 AM EST
I've been good about the sideswiping, but I have backed into people before.

The parking sign was handicapped by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri May 16, 2008 at 05:24:30 AM EST
and then you run over it?

Some signs have all the bad luck

Turns out that sucker was tougher than it looked by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri May 16, 2008 at 11:51:02 AM EST
too. Must have had cybernetic replacement parts or something.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
your description worries me by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:47:06 AM EST
since it speaks none to the character of the man, other than funny and smart, which is pretty generic. All you say is "status" and "money".

Er... by toxicfur (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 09, 2008 at 04:50:53 AM EST
She does say that they're pretty similar, the differences in status notwithstanding. That speaks well of him, I'd think.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
Hey | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback