Print Story Movie Endings
By laffnowcry (Sat May 03, 2008 at 06:03:58 AM EST) movies (all tags)
I was watching two movies recently and realized that I had a different feeling about where one of them should end.

I was watching Saturday Night Fever and it had the familiar working class loser-with-talent motif of the 70s. It ends right after a tragic death. It's not a great ending, but that's what it is.

I was also watching Scarface which I've seen dozens of times but I've found myself disliking the ending. It's just too much of the Hollywood morality - the bad guy has to die at the end. The entire film is so much of a man-vs-man victory that to kill Tony at the end just seems to flaw the film. I have decided I prefer the ending of Scarface to be at the end of the dinner scene when his wife leaves him after he gives the 'Is this all there is?' speech. Cut to black. End.

The story of the sister and Manolo romance is a nice subplot, but it's alluded to in the Tony marriage scene where they make eyes at each other, and that's enough I think.

Tony is weird, weird for his sister, violent, controlling, but that point is made. Does it need to be made again? I think this is one reason GTA succeeded. It didn't force players into being 'the good guy'.

< Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow | You know, all I want is for my pictures to look good >
Movie Endings | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I was out of the country at the time, so by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat May 03, 2008 at 02:17:01 PM EST
maybe you can answer this for me? When did the black folks co-opt Scarface?
I came back home and he was all over that baggy, over-sized clothing that they like to wear and the household bric-a-brac which you can purchase at Dollar One too.

No idea rilly by laffnowcry (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat May 03, 2008 at 03:27:58 PM EST
rather than when we might as well ask why...?

Being more musically inclined by jxg (4.00 / 2) #3 Sat May 03, 2008 at 05:00:04 PM EST
they're naturally drawn to the best movie soundtrack ever produced.

They can't help it. It's in their genes.

Yar by duxup (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue May 06, 2008 at 07:37:13 AM EST
I agree Scarface is all violent and horrific and then we get some semi "it's gonna be ok, the bad man is dead now" ending where the dude gets his.  It doesn't seem to fit the whole mood of the film.

Then again movies today also stink at endings.  These film students need to be taught how to end their dang films.
____

I tend to find myself with mixed feelings about by laffnowcry (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed May 07, 2008 at 05:17:58 PM EST
de palma. I think the cast was pretty good, if not excellent. The story was a remake of the original scarface so all they did was update it a little (I saw the original and I was amazed at how much they stole from it). The original was done in the days when you couldn't glamorize crime, and films about criminals had to play out with them dying at the end. I think they could have done better than follow that precedent in the original.

Movie Endings | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback