Print Story You want a TRANSCRIPT?!
Educashun
By gzt (Thu May 22, 2008 at 12:08:36 PM EST) gzt, jump rope (all tags)
Somebody responded with a note saying they want a transcript from my university. WTF? A transcript? Who the hell asks for a transcript? So I thought, you know what, fine. I'll arrange it. Still waiting for an acknowledgment of my faxed signature to the transcript company to release my records. The people who sent the response, they're a fine company in a fine town, so I might as well jump through a hoop here. I set up to get free transcripts for life after one flat fee, since it might come in handy three more times in my life, so why not.

Does anybody, like, ever ask for a transcript? I invested so that I could have one for me, a couple in case I should ever enroll in any schooling again at any level, etc, but who the hell asks for a transcript? It's not an academic job. Do they need to know I got A's in all my Sanskrit classes?

Tomorrow: day off, chess club at 4.

I'm ready to go home now, but I have about 3 hours more in the office since I came in late. And I should get more done since I have tomorrow off. C'est la vie.

My jump rope is too long.

< Desert Island Discs | The actual best albums ever are >
You want a TRANSCRIPT?! | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Academic jobs only. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu May 22, 2008 at 12:18:36 PM EST
I had to get one. It was, err, interesting. Because I didn't want to see how badly I did in some courses.

Yeah, there are a couple courses... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 22, 2008 at 12:50:56 PM EST
...that I hope they don't look at. I mean, c'mon, I went to a prestigious school and got honors in math. Less than a quarter of the people majoring in math get honors. I only knew half the people getting honors because I was a year ahead of those other folks in terms of coursework. But I have a couple flubs in there. My bad. Oops. But it looks bad to have a D on your record in your major in a subject you got an A in while a junior in high school. It looks really bad. Whatevs. They called, they want to interview me.

they are looking for 2 things by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 22, 2008 at 12:45:01 PM EST
1.  did you get the degree you said you did
2.  were you ever 'convicted' of a serious academic integrity offense.

Both show up on the transcript.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Maybe I should look at my transcript... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 22, 2008 at 01:08:05 PM EST
...and double-check this stuff. I want to at least make sure the GPA I put down agrees exactly, because I only did it from memory.

One time I applied at the Sheriff's Department... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu May 22, 2008 at 01:15:26 PM EST
They wanted my college AND high school transcripts.  So I provided them.  I ended up coming in second place for the job after interviewing before 2 panels.  How do I know that?  Because one of the guys on the panels was in a band that used to play one of my bars and told me.  Fucker.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Then again by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 22, 2008 at 02:52:45 PM EST
I've had to supply transcripts 3x by lm (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu May 22, 2008 at 05:36:24 PM EST
Once was for a position on the IT staff at a community college. One other was for a Fortune 100 money making machine. The third was for the Department of State.

In the first two cases, I suspect that the underlying premise was due diligence. In the former, to satisfy the union that everyone is properly compensated for the educational level achieved. In the latter, to maximize shareholder value under the idea that people should be be paid proportionately to how well they've been educated. The third probably had the most to do with a security assessment.

I suppose that the bottom line is anyone can put down a school and a year on the CV. The odd thing is that I felt like my personal space had been violated far more by the transcript request than by the urine sample almost everyone and their brother now requires.

Cicero, The Republic