Print Story Desert Island Discs
Music
By wiredog (Thu May 22, 2008 at 07:57:37 AM EST) (all tags)
Trying to come up with a list of top ten favorite albums. Can't even pare it down to top ten favorite bands.

Working off of my iPod, and memory. Sort of a cross between the longest playlists, and the most played songs. Mostly classic rock and new wave. Unsurprising, as that's what was on DC101 in the 70s and 80s. I mostly listen to music while driving.

I've seen almost every one of these acts live, some more than once.

The Beatles, of course, top the list. Rubber Soul, Sgt Peppers, Abbey Road. The complete albums are on the ipod. Plus selections from other albums. Something like 50 total tracks on two playlists.

Pink Floyd. I have the complete Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, plus tracks from Animals, The Wall, and The Final Cut. Wish You Were Here is my favorite Floyd album and, IMHO, their best. But I think Final Cut is under-rated.

Bruce Springsteen.The quintessence of USian Rock in the 80's. Two playlists, Springsteen and Springsteen Live. I probably have more B-Sides of his on my playlists than of any other act.

Led Zep (and follow on's by the surviving members). Stairway to Heaven, possibly the Greatest Rock Song Ever, is 37 years old...

The Who. Maximum R&B.

The Eagles. Along with The Steve Miller Band, they defined the "California Sound" of the 70's.

Talking Heads were one of the best New wave acts. Stop Making Sense is a great concert film.

Dire Straits. Great guitar work, great songwriting. Songs were mainly character studies. Lots of their stuff is great for nighttime road trips.

Yes was the big time prog rock act. When you think prog rock, you think Yes. The playlist has been whittled down over the years...

Jethro Tull. Rock and Roll Flute Music. Another one where the playlist has grown smaller over time.

Moody Blues.

Huey Lewis and the News Pure 80's pop. Fun stuff. No real attempt at depth or meaning, and no pretension either. Great background music at a party.

AC/DC Deep down inside, you really love their work. Masters of the double single entendre.

Elton John and Billy Joel for the piano as a rock instrument, and (Billy Joel) the lounge singer as rock star.

Approx. a dozen or so mid-listers (Queen, Mellencamp, etc.) deleted...

Then there are the acts that I have playlists of because I just imported everything from the old mix tapes/cds/mp3s. They're Ok, but I don't listen to them often. Hardly at all, in fact.

This list may be more interesting than the above, just for what it says about my changing tastes.

David Bowie

The Cars

Supertramp

The Kinks

U2

So why is U2 on that list? I think because they've been overplayed so much since I was in high school. The U2 tracks I like the best are the ones that get little airplay. "Paint it Black", "All Along the Watchtower", "October". But 3 songs aren't really enough for a playlist.

Most interesting list: Acts that I listened to intensely in high school, tracked down rare albums or tracks from, had every album they produced up to that time, and had stopped listening to by the time I hit 30. Most of them I didn't bother buying CDs to replace the LPs.

Foreigner. Must've been massively overplayed, as looking through the wikipedia entry I see several songs I haven't heard in years, but actually remember a bit fondly. I wonder if they're on iTunes?

Journey

Boston

Styx

Rush. I actually stopped listening to them after Signals. I just lost interest.

Chicago. I have a first pressing of Live at Carnegie Hall, with all the inserts. An artifact of early 70's hippiedom.

Kansas.

< My The Best | You want a TRANSCRIPT?! >
Desert Island Discs | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
s/The Eagles/Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers/ by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu May 22, 2008 at 08:37:19 AM EST
but bonus points for including the Talking Heads and Dire Straits.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Tom Petty is NOT California sound by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu May 22, 2008 at 08:58:36 AM EST
He's from Florida.

Tom Petty is one of the mid-listers I didn't mention.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

its funny by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 22, 2008 at 09:22:49 AM EST
because I feel so strange, music is good n'all. I listen to the radio, mostly NPR unless it's boring crap like This American Life, interviewing janitors of the NYC public works for the umpteenth time. But I have no desire to buy a CD (last I bought was in 1995), don't own an ipod, don't have any mp3's (other that blixys old playlists, and I listened tto 'em once and never got around to deleting..). Maybe to cheap to buy, I dunno. (also own very few DVDs, rarely rent)

If I were on an island, I'd probably sing to myself. I'd be horribly out of tune, and get 85% of the words wrong, but I'd enjoy it.

Music just doesn't speak to me like it does all the denizens here.

ARRRH!!111!! by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu May 22, 2008 at 09:22:59 AM EST

Dammit forgot all about them.  90125 and Big Generator were some of my favorite albums.

Thanks for the remind.

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz

I saw Yes, live, touring 90124. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu May 22, 2008 at 09:37:47 AM EST
The opening act was Bugs Bunny. Very weird choice.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

the eagles by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu May 22, 2008 at 03:29:10 PM EST
the eagles gave one of the best concerts i've ever been to.

as for u2: i'm particularly fond of the songs on under a blood red sky. and joshua tree really is like nothing else i've ever heard, even though it's been overplayed.

Finally by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri May 23, 2008 at 03:27:34 AM EST
Someone on this site with musical tastes that align with mine closely.  I was beginning to think I wasn't cool enough to read this site.

Except I can't really agree with the Beatles.  Despite influencing almost any band I actually like, I can only stand to listen to a small portion of their body of work.

Nor U2.  Blech.  Not familiar with "October", but very familiar with the other tunes you mentioned, and I shudder when I think what their U2ification would sound like.

Bad news. I'm not cool. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 23, 2008 at 06:04:04 AM EST
"October" (from the album of the same name) is a quiet little piece.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Desert Island Discs | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback