Print Story on the missing entry
By clock (Tue May 20, 2008 at 03:20:24 AM EST) (all tags)
this, that and the other.

i'm not sure why, but last night was the first time that it dawned upon me that one could make a playlist of podcasts.  it all seems so simple, and yet i never really considered it.  the beauty of this is that i can now paste together all of the tiny podcasts that i listen to (the ones that run under 10 minutes) and have my own witty and insightful radio station for my morning commute.  this is pretty keen because i do dig on npr and some of their shorter features, but i don't want to sit in traffic and noodle with the wheel on my ipod when i should be driving.  and the best part is that i can probably come up with enough material to cover a week of commuting with little to no effort on my part.  bad.  ass.  technology that actually serves me.  whodathunk?

also of note, still, is google notebook.  i mentioned it yesterday and duxup was all "well duh!" and i was all "but i thought that duxup loved me!" and he was all "even i knew about this stuff and even do my diaries in it so that if something blows up i can repost an' shit" and i was all "...dayum...you're smart" and then husi blew up.  that may or may not be how the conversation went.  i can't really remember.  but skynet  google has my vote for "stuff that makes my life easier."

last night we chilled with my sister in law and the nephew.  he cracks me up.  we had a good time making faces and fake burping (much to the chagrin of his grandmother).  he's a total tank and he'll have to settle down a bit in the very near future.  he'll also have to learn that if he doesn't eat the applesauce, someone else will!  and that someone is the dude: destroyer of pureed fruits and veggies!

since i started managing my studio time at home the way i manage my development projects, i have been ahead of schedule and far more productive.  i have five tunes and i will begin the painful process of fleshing them out and getting them re-recorded.  let me say this about my corporate donut wheel masters: they want me to get things done.  sketching with garageband and then doing my final production work in logic is brilliant.  logic has too many options.  certainly more than i want available to me when i'm sitting down to pound out a new tune.  but garageband isn't where i want to be when i'm really digging in, so off i go to ye olde logic.  it don't work for everyone, but it works for me.  and last time i checked, i'm the only one who matters.

yesterday i asked permission to use some folks swfc entries in some of my more "experimental" fun.  i got the nod from hulver, ana and toxicfur.  anybody else cool with being mashed into something unrecognizable?  and of course, if you have some extra weird sound files lying about, you know where to find me!

we're getting the house ready.  we have our list.  getting there will rock.  but the process of putting the pieces together always sucks.

< Nothing like alpha testing on the live server. | Quickies. >
on the missing entry | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Don't know if you saved the link from yesterday. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #1 Tue May 20, 2008 at 03:54:39 AM EST
But my music directory is yours to bastardize as you see fit. And if you want stuff broken out by track, let me know. I can even go so far as you grab you un-processed guitar on the current stuff.

w00t! by clock (2.00 / 0) #4 Tue May 20, 2008 at 05:10:15 AM EST
and again, thanks!  i will pillage, etc.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

sound and... well, not fury. by ana (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue May 20, 2008 at 03:55:40 AM EST
We should do more of that spoken-word thing. 'Twas fun. I twiddled around with mine a bit in garage band, playing with voice tembre and stuff like that; ended up just posting the original. I can't judge what sounds good when it's my own voice.

Also, I like your idea of noodling about in garageband, and then polishing stuff in logic. Which still has more knobs than I can shake a stick at. I really oughtta work through the tutorials sometime. Perhaps now that the choirstuff is overwith for the summer. Must think of a project to do. Preferably one that doesn't involve puppies howling along with the beat.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

the high and low of tutorials... by clock (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue May 20, 2008 at 05:09:52 AM EST
...i appreciate what they try to do by setting up a perfect problem and having an easy solution, but they are rarely engaging.  i have worked my way through one book on logic just to be sure i understand the paradigm.  it was good, but boring.  really boring.

also, having puppies that understand what closing the studio door means is key.  i have one such pup and she's very good about studio time.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Training is everything. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Tue May 20, 2008 at 05:16:18 AM EST
My dogs and cats don't even howl when I play the violin anymore. That first week was pretty touch and go though.

Hey! by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue May 20, 2008 at 06:33:56 AM EST
You're supposed to be on vacation!

Get off the computer and vacate.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

iTunes by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #7 Tue May 20, 2008 at 06:48:54 AM EST
I wish iTunes would automatically place designated podcasts in a playlist. Three of the podcasts I listen to currently are under five minutes.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
agreed. by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue May 20, 2008 at 06:56:03 AM EST
what they really need is a "smart playlist" in the same way that they have "smart folders" in mail, etc.  you could then keep the playlist up to date with current podcasts that match your criteria.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

of course you may by R343L (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue May 20, 2008 at 07:20:50 AM EST
But I think you may be obligated to post creations that contain modified SWFC audio. Or at least angst about how it didn't go as planned and you're still working at it.

everything i do... by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 20, 2008 at 08:18:18 AM EST
...will be made public, of course!  i like to share...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

You can use mine by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #11 Tue May 20, 2008 at 10:14:34 AM EST
Song becomes spoken word becomes a song...makes sense to me.

on the missing entry | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback