Print Story Sexism and Racism
Trolling
By dmg (Thu May 15, 2008 at 01:16:59 PM EST) (all tags)
Why is there one rule for women and another rule for men

Also - does hating Israel make you an anti-semite? Discuss.
< You can stop worrying now, | PIDFC 2 >
Sexism and Racism | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Forgot to add. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu May 15, 2008 at 01:20:44 PM EST
This made me LOL.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
TLDR? by jxg (4.00 / 1) #2 Thu May 15, 2008 at 01:43:44 PM EST
"The former are still private amongst 21st century bathers, the second is not."

I'd say it's a bad judgment, but not one that a person with your obvious intellectual faculties should struggle to comprehend.

Also - yes. But even if it didn't, in this case it isn't a deductive leap by the blogger but by the association of the two by the vandal, as shown by his deliberate actions. A more interesting question would be is antisemitism, and graffiti, good or bad?

Well by dmg (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu May 15, 2008 at 01:57:55 PM EST
Of course graffiti is bad, it's almost always criminal damage, even when perpetrated by that darling of the pseudo-intellectuals Wanksy.

I'm more interested in the implication that hating Israel implies that you hate "semites". You seem to have jumped to that conclusion. Which kind of demonstrates my point.

I suspect many people dislike Israel but don't have a problem with semites.

I realise I may be stirring a hornet's nest here, but controversy is my middle name, so I make no apologies.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I thought 'Marketing' was your middle name. -nt by chuckles (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu May 15, 2008 at 03:46:57 PM EST

I agree; not all Hebrews are Israelis by lm (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri May 16, 2008 at 04:21:33 AM EST
Modern language seems to have a tripartite conflation going on between Hebrews (ethnic Jews), Jews (religious Jews) and Israelis (nationals of Israel). But some Israelis are neither Jewish nor Hebrew. To say that dislike of the modern state of Israel is prima facie evidence of antisemitism is a categorical error. The same error often happens when discussing religion, to say that disklike of Judaism as a religion is prima facie evidence of antisemitism is a categorical error.

That said, I think it fair to observe that most people who hate the state of Israel also hate both ethnic and religious Jews. It kind of sucks for those in the minority who hate Israel for other reasons that religious or racial bigotry. They're always getting painted as intolerant asshats for the wrong reasons.

But this conflation also makes any rational discourse about the future of the state of Israel very difficult. One doesn't actually have to hate Israel to be charged with antisemitism by those making a categorical error. Oftentimes even the suggestion that the state of Israel is a bad idea brings down the charges of bigotry.

But I think, long term, this will work itself out. Unless something changes very soon, in twenty years, Israel will be an apartheid style state and twenty years after that, Israel will be have an ethnically Palestinian majority. The Israelis really missed their window of opportunity by not agreeing to a two state solution ten or fifteen years ago. The Palestinians have seen the writing on the wall and will reject any two state solution.

Cicero, The Republic
That said, by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri May 16, 2008 at 09:07:30 AM EST
Daubing graffitti on the wall of a synagogue almost always constitutes anti-semitism.

Hmm, category errors, how I love thee.

That depends on what the grafiti says by lm (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:31:55 AM EST
And what the graffiti artist who may not have even realized he or she were tagging a synagogue, but most of the time, it's a good indication.

Cicero, The Republic
Because men are obsessed with womens boobies by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri May 16, 2008 at 07:44:24 AM EST
and women could care less about mens boobies.

And my God! I did a spit-take on that photo of Nicholson...

Allow me to amend this with the classic: by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri May 16, 2008 at 08:30:16 AM EST
"While a woman in her stockings looks totally sensuous, a man in his stockings looks completely ridiculous."

I hate the state of Israel by Herring (4.00 / 2) #9 Fri May 16, 2008 at 10:08:14 AM EST
They have much better weather than us and are close o the med. No fair.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
racist n/t by dmg (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat May 17, 2008 at 07:39:32 AM EST

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.
anti-sarcastic humorist! [nt] by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #12 Sat May 17, 2008 at 12:11:07 PM EST

Sexism and Racism | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback