Print Story Thtuff. With a side helping of sings.
By ana (Sun May 11, 2008 at 01:34:18 PM EST) brain function, rambles, impromptu vacation, minty fresh vagina (all tags)
  • Brain function
  • Too much music, too little time
  • Vacation musing

So, what's been up lately?

Sometimes my mind kind of amazes me. I've been futzing around with some data for like a year or so now. I came up with an algorithm which works pretty well, just based on what I saw in the data myself.

Of course, the existing, released, software has another algorithm that does the same thing for a more common mode of data. It'd be cool, says the guy who has to specify said software, if you could just use my algorithm with perhaps some specialized inputs. Then, he rightly points out, we wouldn't have to wait for the software development cycle, and could just put out the calibration file, a much quicker process.

OK, so worth a look, if it'll save like a year getting stuff out.

So, I began to muse. How to go about getting the necessary information from the data we have. Which is lacking y, the most important coordinate. And, when we created the calibration files for the normal data mode, we fit trends of everything in sight vs. y.

Sometime late last week the pieces magically fell together in my head. I can, in fact, measure most of those same things by devious means from the data I have.

So I cranked out some approximation to the calibration file. And tried it on the cal source data. And watched it crash and burn, for reasons that were readily apparent: the algorithm itself depends on knowing y, which, in this mode, we don't.

Ah, well. Maybe for actual observational data (as opposed to the cal source).

But this reminds me of when I was an undergraduate, taking abstract math courses. I'd memorize the salient stuff, and go on a very long walk, and as often as not, the homework problem would have sorted itself out in my head along the way.

And then, in a moment of exceptional mental clarity, write it all down. It's like computer programming. Or novel writing, for that matter. When you can hold the whole algorithm, or plot twist, or whatever, in your head all at once, write it out on the spot in one long sprint, and, at least for me, as often as not, the details are right the first time. After that, it's just a matter of resisting the urge to fix something in the code I don't understand (because I probably did understand it when I wrote it).

I wrote a graphing package once, long ago (didn't everybody?). I recall spending one Saturday mulling over the question of what constitutes a "round number", so that ends of axes, and tick marks, could have pleasing numbers attached, whatever the dynamic range of the data. Figured it out (at least for linear scales; that program never did log scales very well), wrote out the code, and promptly forgot how it works. But it does work, unless I tinker with it.

Anyway.

Busy week coming up. Both choirs end next Sunday. So Monday I drive to Gloucester to sing Palestrina and Byrd in rehearsal for Coro. Wednesday, the church choir rehearses in Boston. Friday is the dress rehearsal in Gloucester again. (I'm always tempted to pronounce that Glue-chester, because of the movie "The Russians are coming, the Russians are coming.") Saturday night, concert the first Coro concert, again in GlueChester. We go on at 8, so I won't get home til well after 11. Sunday, up at 6, no dawdling, for Trinity Sunday service at church (and a couple of challenging pieces). And then back to Gloucester for another Coro concert.

Buy stock in the oil companies. They have a large chunk of my cash coming this week.

Spent some of this afternoon practicing music; but I'm kinda hoarse. ("I'm not a little horse, I'm a pig," said Piglet.) I hope that goes away, cuz I kinda need my voice this week.

And then, at last, we have a chance to get away. Take time off work, just for us, and not because we have a sick relative or a wedding or a funeral or a holiday gathering to attend, or friends to visit. Dunno where we're going; I guess we should think about that. Tropics sounded real nice when we started talking about this in February. But what with deadlines and so forth, we couldn't fit it into our work schedules til now. When many sub-tropical places are presumably booked and hot and stuff. The order is for beach, warm water, warm weather, not too many people, not in NC. Oh, and we don't have passports, so in USia someplace.

Anybody wanna dog-sit?

I'd sorta like some uninterrupted time to think about revising a novel I wrote last November. I doubt the reviews will be in by then, but it's still worth the think.

< Tomorrow | Attend Satraps And Subjects! >
Thtuff. With a side helping of sings. | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I finished the novel by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #1 Sun May 11, 2008 at 02:12:59 PM EST
Several comments, and at least one ear box are in order.

And good, you're getting away. Good.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Oh, but by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #2 Sun May 11, 2008 at 02:14:29 PM EST
I generally liked it.

But, seriously, where the hell is she going to get cooking oil to make fried chicken in pre-colonial american lands?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Cool. by ana (2.00 / 0) #4 Sun May 11, 2008 at 03:56:51 PM EST
Glad you liked, and thanks for the anachronism check.

Can I buy you lunch sometime & we'll talk?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

sure by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #8 Mon May 12, 2008 at 08:54:28 AM EST
after deadlines

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Are the by ana (2.00 / 0) #11 Sat May 24, 2008 at 02:19:58 PM EST
deadlines after enough yet?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

sure by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #12 Sun May 25, 2008 at 11:58:33 AM EST
Week after next, probably?

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Looks good by ana (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun May 25, 2008 at 12:57:41 PM EST
at this distance, at least. If you'd rather (or in addition), comments in writing would be useful as well.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

And... by ana (2.00 / 0) #9 Tue May 13, 2008 at 09:57:35 AM EST
booked. I hear Ptown is nice this time of year.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

chilly by iGrrrl (2.00 / 0) #10 Tue May 13, 2008 at 02:59:51 PM EST
but less touristy.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Beach? by blixco (2.00 / 0) #3 Sun May 11, 2008 at 02:32:58 PM EST
I really liked being in Tomales / Dillon Beach.  It was in the country, but close to San Frantastic, and not at all overrun by tourists.

But it is California, and it isn't near a major airport. You'd have to fly in to San Francheesy or Oakland, then hitch / drive your way up to 101 north, hang a West in Petaluma, and drive until you hit Tomales.

Then you could stay at The Continental Inn, if it's still open.

Hang out at Dillon beach or anywhere along rte 1. Just north of Tomales is Bodega Bay, which is neat-ish.  But I prefer the less touristy beaches.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

note: water is cold by R343L (2.00 / 0) #5 Sun May 11, 2008 at 04:17:39 PM EST
Very cold. So if the idea was beach plus lazy sunning and swimming, it may not be the best idea. People do swim lots, but it's just not warm like Eastern coast water is ...

True. by blixco (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon May 12, 2008 at 03:22:46 AM EST
I forget that people like to swim.

Not only is the water cold, it has sharks. I went out on a jet ski / waterbike once while I was living there, and we saw four sharks. Big incentive to not fall off the thing.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Atlantic is cold in May by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon May 12, 2008 at 03:19:03 AM EST
At least north of the Outer Banks. In OC it's pretty darned cold until July, unless you have a wetsuit.

Going on a long walk is still how I sort out most of my problems, software and otherwise. I carry a little notebook for jotting down solutions, so I don't forget them. A couple of notebooks got burned for security reasons when I was doing classified work.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)