Print Story WFC Eye Ex – It's Over!
By Christopher Robin was Murdered (Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 02:24:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Well kids, we've had a lot fun. And we've learned a thing or two, about phones and windows, fridges and disarticulation tables. Update [2008-4-10 9:31:40 by Christopher Robin was Murdered]: New and Improved Cover Love Within, or "It's a win-win situation."

But all good things come to an end. And this is where WFC Eye Ex ends.

As of midnight, my time, our new God of All Literature is the still anonny author of "For Now We See!"

I'd like to ask my assistant, the beautiful and talented ad hoc, to unveil the authors and I'd like to thank everybody for writing, reading, and voting. This was, perhaps, one of the weirdest challenges, but it produced the most closely contested race. Good work everybody who entered.

Once again, special thanks go out to Hulver, without whom none of this would be possible. Kellnerin, who inspired this and is the wind beneath my wings. Ad hoc, creator of the boss challenge-posting site: you are a truly classy cat, thanks amigo. And 2 plus 3 equals 5 for being a good sport – I hope I'm not sleeping on the couch.

Good night everybody and remember what my good pal Joey Bishop used to say, "A friend in need is a pest."

Cover Winner: We have a tie. First poster gets to be the front cover, second poster gets to be the back cover.

< Ask Husi! | Faster, harder, FASTER! >
WFC Eye Ex – It's Over! | 12 comments (12 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The authors, they be revealed by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:10:37 AM EST
And if I read the poll correctly, the winner is 256.

For Now We See          8 votes - 50 %
Existence               2 votes - 12 %
Dian Bling              5 votes - 31 %
Objectively Speaking    2 votes - 12 %
The 411                 6 votes - 37 %
People Have Their Uses  6 votes - 37 %
George F26082238B       2 votes - 12 %

16 Total Votes

The stories

There was no poll for cover art, so I guess they both win. Or lose. Or something.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Is it suspicious by garlic (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:46:20 AM EST
that the first story on the list had the most votes?

also, why the secrecy on authors? there's no real prize, and no reason to suspect that usernames would be favored over others, is there?

A? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:53:41 AM EST
  1. it was also there the longest of all
  2. it's always been done that way?

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
i think by 256 (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:54:14 AM EST
the concern is more that, presented with a long list of stories, that a reader might be more inclined to skip those by usernames they were less familiar with than that they would actually favor their favorite usernames in voting.

also, judging from past WFCs, I don't think the primacy effect is particularly significant.
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I admit by garlic (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:59:34 AM EST
that I only read one story -- the top of the list. So instead of me picking and choosing based off of username, I chose the first story.

It's sort of like running HUSI with just links to anonymous diaries on the front page. When I want a quick hit break, I want to read something from someone I've already decided I'm interested in what they write.

I guess the reveal at the end is the point where I can do that though.

So the lesson here is by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 07:02:12 AM EST
get your entries in early or I should randomize the presentation list?
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
I don't know. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 07:06:01 AM EST
I didn't read it early. CRWM's pleas finally hit my ears so I checked a story out. If keeping usernames off the list of stories helps, then randomizing might help too. It'd be best if everyone always saw the same list so someone reading all the stories doesn't get annoyed. I'm not a good person to take advice from though, since I'm not a WFC follower.

ARE YOU PRE-JUDGING US? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 12:16:25 PM EST
YOU KNOW WHERE THAT GOES!

I don't have to read about hello kitty? by garlic (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 12:20:05 PM EST
sounds like a winning strategy then!

So... by ana (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:14:27 AM EST
Howzabout a poll on the cover art (all 2 of them)?

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

You got it. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 07:38:00 AM EST
n/t