Print Story Too many Russian novels
Latin
By gzt (Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 06:39:54 AM EST) friggin' intense, gzt, chess, rolling, being awesome (all tags)
I feel like I'm a character in some Russian novel, one of those young educated roustabouts of decent birth in some irrelevant position as a functionary in the civil service which really has no bearing on who I am and how I think of myself or even my prospects; everything else is just dissipated in drink and cards or chess. Not quite, really, just the feeling of being a stupid functionary in the civil service and its being irrelevant to pretty much everything.

I find that, gasp, shock of all shocks, when I sit down and take more time to solve problems in CT Art, I do a lot better. I'm rolling around 70-75% on the current level I'm working through, which I'd like to be better, but you can only do so much. It'd be cool if they had tracking by date, but they don't.

A smashing rebuke of neo-conservatives.

I used "rickroll" as a verb in conversation today. Granted, it was over IM, but it still is unacceptable. I had to tell her to google it, because she was nonplussed by the word.

My d20-less days are going well. No real tests yet.

I may become more like MNS in the good ways (not eating, being awesome, maybe wearing tactical gear, never getting into situations that will only end in tears, getting giant cartoon-style sacks of cash) without the adverse side effects (being like him in pretty much any other way). Any advice would be much appreciated. I won't eat lunch today or respond to any IMs from chicks who dig me as a start. I'll let you know how that goes.

Crap, I should actually get some work done. It's 10:30 and I haven't even done the things I do to make it look like I'm at least pretending to work.

Today's quote of the day:

The world is what it is; men who are nothing, who allow themselves to become nothing, have no place in it.
From the opening lines of a V. S. Naipaul novel.
< WFC 9 Grab Bag | Objectively Speaking >
Too many Russian novels | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I can see a bandwagon by daylight by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 07:26:14 AM EST
Hey, Alyson Hannigan: should you choose to IM me today, I will not respond.  Especially not if you invite me to view your webcam.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I sent one a note... by gzt (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 08:13:54 AM EST
...that I was quitting my job to become a professional rickroller, and so would probably be too busy to ever see or speak to her again between that and frantically playing chess all the time. Hopefully that'll provide a sufficient alibi to disappear. Better than others.

Rebuke of neo-conservatives? by lm (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 11:27:35 AM EST
Nine tenths of Kagan's article is the argument that the US has always been neoconservative and ends with the conclusion:
In fact, the expansive, idealistic, and at times militaristic American approach to foreign policy has produced some accomplishments of world historical importance—the defeat of Nazism, Japanese imperialism, and Soviet Communism—as well as some notable failures and disappointments. But it was not as if the successes were the product of a good America and the failures the product of a bad America. They were all the product of the same America.

The only real rebuke is for those that blame Iraq on `the Neoconservatives' rather than on a strain of political thought that has been part of US foreign affairs since the birth of our nation.

The only part of the article I don't get, however, is his apparent dislike for the term. But after detailing opposition to the thoughts that underlie it from `conservatives, liberals, socialists, realists, and idealists alike', I'm not really certain what a better term would be.

That criticisms aside, and aside from a few other minor quarrels I've got with some of Kagan's point, it's a fascinating article.

Cicero, The Republic
It was sort of a low-grade troll by gzt (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 12:10:59 PM EST
Internally, I was thinking how this is completely not such and how, sadly, anything purported to be such can never ever possibly be as insightful, intelligent, and well-written as this piece. And how, also quite sadly, its insight, intelligence, etc are what preclude it from being read and understood by the throbbing masses at places such as dKos. It is pretty much exactly the opposite of what the link text would conjure up in my mind.

\m/ MONKLIFE \m/ by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 04:44:37 PM EST

While I shouldn't say that I endorse your partial emulation plan, I endorse your partial emulation plan, and feel that it validates part of my own plan. Helpful tip, which you may already know, that fierce hunger pain passes, and is replaced by Second Wave Awesomeness. Stay up, my brother.

i know about not eating by gzt (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 05:58:44 PM EST
i've gone on two small meals per workweek before.

Too many Russian novels | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback