Print Story Playlist challenge,
Music
By blixco (Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 10:21:03 AM EST) (all tags)
or, All Time Top Ten.

This is easy in that it is not life and death, no-one is depending on you to do it, there are no repercussions for fucking it all up, and there is no right answer.

Here's the thing: Let's say you're You, and You are about to fuck off for ten months of exotic travel with just a backpack full of clothes, toiletries, a journal, a compass, and an iPod.

No phone. No computer. No internet connection.

You have cash, and in theory you can buy a prepaid phone or go to an internet cafe, but both of these things are ephemeral, fleeting.  Not in your rucksack.  Your rucksack holds the basics.

You've got an iPod with 40 gigs of space, and you'd like to have some music, preferably in some sort of playlist.

You have a playlist, for instance, called "Gettin' Down In The Back Seat" that has a lot of soul and funk that used to provide your soundtrack while having sex.  You have a playlist called "Fuck You" that holds ten tracks of hate.  You have a playlist called "I left my heart in Georgia" that is nothing but southern blues and appalachian folk music.  Your "Texas" playlist is all east Texas blues, central Texas soul, and west Texas tejano.

You have space for one more list of songs.  Ten songs, in some sort of theme.

This is where we, HuSi, come in.  We are to provide the ten tracks that will fill out the iPod.  There are a few notes:

1. Assume that anything you think of will not already be on the list
  2. Assume that the tracks must be able to be found (bonus if you provide an offsite backup of your playlist at any of the local file sharing locations).  No hyper-obscure mega-ultra-secret bootlegs from bands that only existed for one afternoon.
  3. You have one theme idea in travel.  Some others are: escape, panic, melancholy, fun, vacation, beaches, Spain, wide horizons, exotic food, fuck off corporate America, nostalgia, missing home, finding home, and the least explicable one: Mary.
  4. You have a VERY limited amount of time to do this.  I am giving you until Thursday April 10th at 5pm CDT. CDT is 5 hours behind of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
  5. Genre notes: Go Fucking Nuts, but it would be nice if others could listen to the tracks and say, hey, nice music! without screaming and running away.
Got all of that?  All four of you?  OK!  Ready, steady, GO!
< In the name of the Pizza Lord | fluff was great! >
Playlist challenge, | 49 comments (49 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
hyper-obscure mega-ultra-secret bootlegs by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #1 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 10:25:08 AM EST
So "Last Plane Out" by Toy Matinee is out?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Yes, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #2 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 10:26:52 AM EST
unless you can produce it on demand.

That would be cool.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

It's on some p2p systems by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #24 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 02:41:01 AM EST
Or so I hear from, ummm, a friend.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I'll start. by blixco (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 11:05:29 AM EST
This playlist has a vague theme.
  1. Brighteyes: Land Locked Blues
  2. Death Cab for Cutie: Summer Skin
  3. Soul Coughing: Sound Track to Mary
  4. Decemberists: The Mariner's Revenge Song
  5. Calexico: Quattro (World Drifts In)
  6. Bruce Springsteen: State Trooper
  7. Ani DiFranco: Providence
  8. King Crimson: Book of Saturday
  9. Tegan and Sarah: Dark Come Soon (Acoustic from Spinner's The Interface session)
  10. Supertramp: Goodbye Stranger
It's a rough draft.  That Springsteen  song is pretty jarring, and the Tegan and Sarah tune is very, very, very good but may not belong.
---------------------------------
  7. "There Never Was A Moment When Evil Was Real", Non
  8. "There Never Was A Moment When Evil Was Real", Non
  9. "There Never Was A Moment When Evil Was Real", Non
  10. "There Never Was A Moment When Evil Was Real", Non

I win!

Dude, by blixco (4.00 / 3) #5 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 01:00:21 PM EST
that's, like, all one song.  Like, ten times. I don't know if you caught that. You may want to add nine others ten times.  Like, your iPod is broken or something.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
I know it *looks* like one song by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 4) #7 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 01:53:49 PM EST

But, I swear to God, I've been listening to that one song all day long, and it's different every time! It's like the perpetually new song the prophecies foretold! And besides, when that one song in question is so without human flaw, why would I need any other songs?

wait by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 05:01:45 PM EST
Didn't you say that about that one Death Cab for Cutie, song?

Click
No, that was other kids. by MohammedNiyalSayeed (4.00 / 1) #17 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 05:33:24 PM EST

Death Cab for Cutie writes catchy pop songs, and all, but this shit is serious art, by which I mean the sounds are familiar, yet alien, and relatively loosely structured, which means you can hum a wide variety of invented and complementary melodic lines atop it, and it also functions as nice white noise to put you to sleep at night. Can a pop song do all that stuff?

I wouldn't know by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #43 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 04:59:34 PM EST
The last new band I listened to was KMFDM

Click
If that was the last thing I heard new by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #45 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 06:24:46 PM EST

I'd stop listening to music, too.

I'm intrigued by this fun challenge... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 01:50:35 PM EST
and I shall drink a couple of more beers and think about the music I own and what I'd need to have with me for always. Expect an answer in the next couple of days.
To Rollins lesbians are like cuddly pandas: cute, exotic, forest-dwelling, dangerous when riled and unable to produce offspring without assistance.-CRwM
In alphabetical order. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 3) #8 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 02:29:22 PM EST
If I was driving around, I wouldn't mind these ten coming out the radio. Wouldn't mind it none at all.

Animals: "We Got to Get Out of This Place"
Alexander Hamilton, "Comin' From Where I'm From"
The Bad Livers, "I'm Using My Bible for a Roadmap"
The Black Keys, "Have Love, Will Travel"
Control Machete, "Como Ves"
Drive-By Truckers "Carl Perkin's Cadillac"
Faces, "Had Me a Real Good Time"
Jesus and Mary Chain, "Sometimes Always"
Jim Ford, "She Turns My Radio On"

Seulement neuf by marvin (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 04:15:46 PM EST
Neun.

I'm dying in anticipation here.

Godfrey Daniel! Only nine! by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 2) #27 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 04:43:51 AM EST
How'd I miss that?

I'll put The Flaming Lips "Turn It On" on the list.

I mixed for them by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #29 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 07:50:24 AM EST
Some time back in the 1980s, we provided the PA and I ran the board. Horrible room.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

I sometimes regret . . . by Christopher Robin was Murdered (4.00 / 3) #34 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 09:49:45 AM EST
That I never attempted to foster any musical talent after the implosion of Steelworker 151, widely considered among the single-digits of people who actually heard us to be the worst garage band in the history of sound.

Other times I think that, by refusing to abuse poor innocent sound any longer, I gave the gift of my not playing music to the world.

Mine is a secret honor.

Still, I'm envious of all the neat stuff you've had a chance to do. Bad room or not, that's pretty boss.

And I'm not just saying that because you're wearing your Ilsa: She-Wolf of the SS monocle and I'm intimidated. I mean it.

I didn't have chances. by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #41 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 03:16:54 PM EST
I took them.

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

Ja mein Frauf├╝hrer. by Christopher Robin was Murdered (2.00 / 0) #46 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 01:51:44 AM EST
We don't borrow, we don't lease, we don't rent - we take!

Um, but we have them after we take them. Right? We don't take and then give them away? Soon or later we have them, right? That's the point of taking.

See, this is why you're the boss and I'm strictly lackey material.

What? by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 04:59:15 PM EST
No presidential campaign songs?!?
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Impossible by Greener (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 02:35:03 PM EST
I have done this (26 months of exotic travel) and I had no portable music source for the entire trip. I guess I don't listen to enough music in my day to day life to miss it if I am without  and I especially can't think of 10 songs I wouldn't eventually get sick of after listening to over and over.

That's not to say there isn't any music I enjoy, quite the opposite infact. I just don't make a habit of listening to music and generally don't like background noise when doing other tasks. Even when driving I prefer to listen to CBC Radio over whatever commercial music stations may be available.

If you're looking for recommendations however, I do enjoy this and pretty much every other song they've done.

my entry: by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 03:05:04 PM EST
Dog Eat Dog -- Adam and the Ants
I Eat Cannibals -- Toto Coelo
Eyeball In My Martini -- The Cramps
Sugar Bullets -- The Stranglers
Peppermint Pig -- Cocteau Twins
A Martini Built for 2 -- My Life With the Thrill Kill Kult
Butterfly Potion -- Foetus Inc.
Tapeworm -- Pigface
Cheese Plug/Big Bone Lick -- Scratch Acid
Eggs and Sausage (In a Cadillac with Susan Michelson) -- Tom Waits
Vitamin -- The Sugarcubes

Yeah, that's more than ten. Who gives a shit?

Stranglers +1 FP by johnny (4.00 / 1) #15 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 05:06:32 PM EST
When this happened to me by johnny (4.00 / 3) #13 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 04:59:15 PM EST
I joined the Peace Corps in Spring, 1974.

In Washington D.C., just before shipping out, I realized that I was going to be living in a mud hut in the middle of the Sahara for the next two years. On the day before I got on the plane, I went out and bought a battery-powered cassette player and three tapes, which was all I could afford. I bought one album I knew and liked; the other two were albums I had never heard by artists I liked.

The one I knew and liked was "Sticky Fingers" by the Rolling Stones.

The ones I had never heard were "Apostrophe" by Frank Zappa and "Band on the Run" by Paul McCartney.

Sticky Fingers is great; "Band on the Run" and "Apostrophe" are OK, but far, far, far from the best work of those two musicians. Nevertheless, for obvious reasons, I listened to those two albums many, many times over two long, lonely years. I never really loved them, but on the other hand I never really got sick of them. In any event I feel like we went through 2 years in the desert together, so they're best friends forever.

Out there in the middle of nowhere I had very trippy encounters with "Dark Side of the Moon" by Pink Floyd and "The Cry of Love" by Jimi Hendrix. I believe I've written about this in K5 or Husi. When I say trippy, I mean, "holy fuck, is this really happening, how do these nomads in the freeking middle of NOWHERE, who don't speak English and have never seen a white person before me,  with not a fucking possession to their names, happen to have a battery-powered record player and THIS ALBUM???"  On two separate occasions far apart in space and time???

My girlfriend back in the states sent me tapes in the mail, and, when they didn't get pilfered by the guys in the customs office, they became welcome additions to my small collections. In particular, it was while living in a mud hut in Africa that I first heard the music of John Prine, Rory Gallagher, Bruce Springsteen, and Little Feat.

Speaking of which, my own "desert island" collection would probably include "Waiting for Columbus" of Little Feat, and everything by the best rockaroll band in this or any possible universe.

Buy my books, dammit!

I hate you by the way. by dev trash (4.00 / 2) #16 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 05:20:15 PM EST
But it's the good kinda hate. ;)

1.  Take this Job and Shove it - Canibus.
2.  Tubthumping - Chumbumwandawhatever
3.  KMFDM Sucks - KMFDM
4.  Wild Thing - Sam Kinison
5.  One - Metallica
6.  The Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson
7.  Don't Fear The Reaper - Blue Oyster Cult.
8.  Stand - R.E.M
9.  End of the World as we know it - R.E.M
10. Fuck The Creationists - MC Hawking

Click

Not one of you has mentioned Primus yet? by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #18 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 06:36:56 PM EST
Seriously?

Ok - My theme is "These songs are great, but do not belong together, nevertheless, I will never get tired of them."

I will leave out songs by obscure bands that lasted one afternoon. I'm also not going to put them in any sort of order. Play it on shuffle!

1. Something I Can Never Have - NIN, the version from "Still".
  2. Third Eye - Tool. Preferably the one from Salival.
  3. Portrait of Tracy - Jaco Pastorius.
  4. Tommy the Cat - Primus. I like the live on on Rhinoplasty, with the "The Awakening" solo in the middle.
  5. Girls and Boys - Marcus Miller ft. Macy Gray
  6. Dark Heart News - Aesop Rock ft. Rob Sonic
  7. Ziggy Stardust. I better not have to name the artist.
  8. Melt - Monster Magnet
  9. We Want the Funk.
  10. Sunshine, Lollipops, and Rainbows - Leslie Gore. (Joke track)

--top hat--
Marconi plays the mamba by jxg (4.00 / 2) #19 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:35:23 PM EST
bring a shortwave radio.

1    Ashes to Ashes, David Bowie
2    Starman, David Bowie
3    Changes, David Bowie
4    Rock and Roll Suicide, David Bowie
5    Lady Stardust, David Bowie
6    We Built This City, Jefferson Airplane
7    Suite - Judy Blue Eyes, Crosby Stills and Nash
8    Slip Away, David Bowie
9    Velvet Goldmine, David Bowie
10    Total Eclipse of the Heart, Bonnie Tyler

Replace the songs not by Bowie by muchagecko (4.00 / 4) #21 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:55:09 PM EST
with more Bowie.

k thanx

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin

Starship, not Airplane by johnny (4.00 / 2) #26 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 03:55:43 AM EST
That song came way after the demise of the first band.
Buy my books, dammit!
A little longing for romance by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #20 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 07:50:02 PM EST
1. Wuthering Heights 4:29 Kate Bush The Kick Inside
2. Babylon 4:26 David Gray White Ladder
3. Let Me Down Easy 5:06 Mark Pickerel & His Praying Hands Cody's Dream
4. Burning House Of Love 3:44 X Beyond & Back: The X Anthology [Disc 2]
5. Le Disko 3:23 Shiny Toy Guns We Are Pilots
6. Love In The Plaster 3:11 The Hives Tyrannosaurus Hives
7. Lonesome Tears 5:38 Beck Sea Change
8. Central Reservation (Ben Watt Remix) 4:02 Beth Orton Central Reservation
9. Avalon 4:17 Roxy Music Avalon
10. Birdhouse In Your Soul 3:21 They Might Be Giants Flood

Both Kate by blixco (4.00 / 2) #38 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 12:15:50 PM EST
and TMBG need to be on the eventual list, though I'd chose Kate's "Never Be Mine" from The Sensual World because I am all about unrequited love as a drug and as an influence.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Theme: Love Sucks by FlightTest (4.00 / 1) #22 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 08:56:52 PM EST
  1. Rosanne Cash - Runaway Train
  2. Merle Haggard - Kern River
  3. Eagles - Lyin' Eyes
  4. Lonestar - No News
  5. James Taylor - Bittersweet
  6. Dwight Yoakam - Fast as You
  7. Dido - White Flag
  8. Brooks & Dunn - Neon Moon
  9. Blackhawk - I Sure Can Smell the Rain
  10. Suzy Bogguss - Outbound Plane
This one was easy for me, this playlist already exists (plus a couple others) that I play when I'm feeling really low.

a playlist called "Love Sucks" by 256 (4.00 / 1) #28 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 07:48:39 AM EST
without "No Children" by the Mountain Goats on it?

what gives?
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni

I probably shouldn't have bothered by FlightTest (4.00 / 2) #39 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 03:10:10 PM EST
I don't actively seek out music. I generally listen to the country or pop/rock FM station, if I'm not listening to news. I basically listen to what the industry puts out, because it just isn't that important to me. So my music collection is but a fraction of what I presume is the average HuSi member has.

Theme: songs for all seasons by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #23 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 01:55:33 AM EST
  1. Emotion #13 - Suicidal Tendencies
  2. Baboushka - Kate Bush
  3. First We Take Manhatten - Leonard Cohen (although you may choose your cover version)
  4. A Tout le Monde - Megadeth
  5. These Freaks Are Here To Party - Infectious Grooves
  6. Ready To Go - Republica
  7. Dissolution (The Clouds Disperse) - Ozric Tentacle (just listen to the intro: delaytastic SFW)
  8. Sunday Girl - Blondie
  9. Seven Seas of Rhye - Queen
  10. Crush Of Love / Ceremony - Joe Satriani

oooer by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #25 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 03:12:55 AM EST
Theme - Irish bands that never really made it yet always remind me of being a worry-free student in the time when we all thought we'd take over the world and never expected the musical legacy of our generation would be fucking Boyzone. (Some of the links are to documentaries or from chatshows, The Frames are not represented - winning Oscars means you really made it).

Are you a fan of the Oyster Band? by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #30 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 07:50:51 AM EST

These are songs . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #31 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 08:58:16 AM EST
. . . from my travelling years (mostly), actual songs I actually used for actual travelling - except it wasn't with an ipod, it was a beat-up cassette player. Some faves of mine, for BROODING:

Bela Lugosi is Dead - Bauhaus
Airplane Flies High, Turns Left, Looks Right - Smashing Pumpkins
Hurt - Johnny Cash version
The Hand that Feeds - NIN
Something I Can Never Have - NIN
Captain Bligh - Filter
The Best Things - Filter
Change (In the House of Flies) - Deftones
No One Knows - Queens of the Stone Age
A Day in the Life - Beatles

This was harder than I thought... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #32 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 09:26:05 AM EST
But, in no particular order, here are Ten Songs to Get Me Through Near-Eternal Winter:

1. Evil Bee, Menomena
  2. St. Luke's Summer
  3. Losing my Religion, the blixco cover
  4. Smells Like Teen Spirit, Nirvana
  5. Manhole, Ani Difranco, the Boston 11.10.06 version
  6. O Mary Don't You Weep, Bruce Springsteen
  7. Honey Honey, Feist
  8. Mr. Punch, Future Bible Heroes
  9. Ways to Love, Jason Webley
  10. Blue Caravan, Vienna Teng

I'm flattered by blixco (4.00 / 1) #35 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 10:30:55 AM EST
and a bit terrified that I show up on 1.5 playlists (one mentions the cover of First We Take Manhattan as an alternate).

I will say, though, and I hope I don't sound vain saying it, that the recording of Losing My Religion is one of the best things I've done.  I'll actually listen to it. I was in severe pain (physically and emotionally) when I recorded that. It was difficult to get through the thing, and that was my one take...I warmed up for one verse, then hit record.

I'm pretty happy with it.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

It's one of my favorites... by toxicfur (4.00 / 1) #36 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 11:33:05 AM EST
First We Take Manhattan being another. I debated between the two as the one blixco song I'd want, and Losing My Religion seemed to fit the theme a bit better. Oh, and I forgot to name the artist of St. Luke Summer -- it's Thea Gilmore (who is awesome, and everyone should buy her stuff).
Your cover of first we take manhattan - by mrgoat (4.00 / 2) #42 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 04:46:23 PM EST
It almost made my list too. It's way better than the original.

--top hat--
here ya go by 256 (4.00 / 1) #33 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 09:31:13 AM EST
rancid - daly city train
big rude jake - front street belvedere
lou reed - walk on the wild side
alabama 3 - bullet proof
corb lund - counterfeiters blues
motorhead - ace of spades
diesel boy - titty twister
hank williams III - i don't know
lars frederiksen and the bastards - campbell, ca
mountain goats - song for dennis brown

I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
driving music by alprazolam (4.00 / 1) #37 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 12:03:09 PM EST
Hit the Road Jack Ray Charles
Searchin The Coasters
Around the World - Daft Punk
Down - 311
Magic Bus - The Who
Cocaine - Eric Clapton
Freebird - Lynrd Skynrd
Tweeter and the Monkey Man - The Traveling Wilburys

well that's all I got for now...took me all day just for that

tough ten by iGrrrl (4.00 / 1) #40 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 03:14:54 PM EST
They're all about 20 or more years old (ouch).

Theme? Why I'm not dead (or "year of the scavenger, season of the bitch")

King Crimson - Red
Rikki Lee Jones - Pirates
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
Patty Smith - Gloria
Hunters and Collectors - The Way to Go Out
Adrian Belew - Life Without a Cage
Kate Bush - Sat in Your Lap
King Crimson - Frame by Frame
Daryl Hall - Why Was it So Easy
Bruce Cockburn - To Raise the Morning Star

"Beautiful wine, talking of scattered everythings"
(and thanks to Scrymarch)

my current "fuck off" playlist by clock (4.00 / 1) #44 Tue Apr 08, 2008 at 05:35:52 PM EST
d.b. cooper - todd snider
london calling - the clash
stranger than fiction - bad religion
under pressure - david bowie & queen
coffee mug - descendents
Voodoo Child (Slight Return) - jimi hendrix experience
in the end - linkin park
top - live
jump through the hoops - the mighty mighty bosstones
straight outta compton - n.w.a.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

10 Songs that Sooth my Spirit by me0w (4.00 / 1) #47 Wed Apr 09, 2008 at 01:58:07 AM EST
In no particular order ...

1. The Cure - Trust

2. Bjork - Joga

3. Sarah McLaughlin - Elsewhere

4. The Tea Party - Inanna

5. Matthew Good - Generation X-Wing (acoustic)

6. NIN - The Great Below

7. Bob Dylan - Shelter From The Storm

8. Depeche Mode - Stripped

9. Regina Spektor - Real Love

10. Moby - My Weakness

Sorry, just two tracks from me by zarathus (4.00 / 1) #48 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 09:05:23 AM EST
  1. "Mary" by Huffamoose
  2. "I'm Afraid of Americans" by David Bowie, NIN, and Photek

----------
Blogger - n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.
My current favorite by blixco (2.00 / 0) #49 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 09:32:06 AM EST
"Mary" song is the one by Scissor Sisters.

---------------------------------