Print Story Fridays are for fun
By blixco (Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 06:49:31 AM EST) (all tags)
and other things that start with F like FAR OUT MAN.

If you look for it, you will find a thread here on HuSi that takes place between Christopher Robin wuz 187'd and myself, and it is a brilliant display of the sort of name calling and argumentative behavior that both he and I find quite amusing, yet exhausting to maintain.  I mention it because 1) it is brilliant and 2) VOTE IN THE GODDAMN WFC.

Also on that same front page, if you looks for it, you will finds my entry in the latest Photo Phun Phallenge, or in my case the Foto Fun Failage.  I deleted my first entry because it was not processed enough.  It was too recognizable, and someone could have lifted my prints from it, yo.  So I put in one that was processed to within an nth of it's short little life.  All this is to say GO TAKE A GODDAMN PICTURE AND ENTER THE PFC YOU FOOLS.

Elsewhere in the site, you will note my last entry, cribbed from my past life as a stand-up...uh...what's the opposite of comedian?  Is there an opposite of comedian?  Why the fuck not?

I should point out, as well, that my recent attendance at the local poetry slams has been fuel for much of this new writing, though some of it is just too terrible for even you lot.  For instance, some of it is as bad as Steve Martin's infamous poem, "Pointy Birds":
O pointy birds, o pointy pointy
Anoint my head, anointy-nointy

My plan is to eventually get up and read something at one of these slam things, get in with the hipster urban youth and the militant african american student union, and get into the whole subculture of performance verbage, then suddenly stop going and take up, like, golf and Rotary Club meetings.  I'd like to do this in the next six months, assuming I can get a lease on a decent Cadillac once I complete my underground phase.

Speaking of which, it's time for me to get my overalls back on and get back to work here in the acid mines.

< How does one deal with blank spaces in folder names in Windows? | Box of air -> Box of water. >
Fridays are for fun | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
this is exactly why... by clock (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 06:56:36 AM EST
...we need to get to austin.

7 more quarters.  fiscal, that is.

i have a project for us.  expect an email or PM when i get unlazy.  PLANS ARE AFOOT!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Your plans are feet? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 06:57:32 AM EST
Weird, dude. Weird.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
reading comprehension, please... by clock (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 07:15:00 AM EST
"AFOOT" are not "feet."  these plans are a singular foot.  please pay closer attention in the future.

FOCUS!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Your plans are a clam? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 08:49:10 AM EST
You know, when they get old, they get big. And when they get big, they get feet.  And when they get feet, they get dangerous.

Pseudopod!
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

don't make me come over there... by clock (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 12:35:39 PM EST
...i'm all about fried clams!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Opposite of comedian by Herring (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 07:05:21 AM EST
Politician?

Herring - Official HuSi diarist of the 2016 European Korfball Championship (October 22nd, Dordrecht, Netherlands)
I was going to say by jayhawk88 (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 07:13:28 AM EST
...mortician, but that answer is actually better I think.

From Roget's Thesaurus by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 07:59:19 AM EST
Comedian Antonym: straight man.

But then, what do you call him if he's gay? Can you have a gay straight man?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Plus, by blixco (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 08:47:16 AM EST
I'd consider the straight man to be a foil, and not really an antonym.  Like, the opposite of hate isn't love, it's some sort of frenzied obsessive like.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Opposite of Comedian- by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:10:45 AM EST
Tragedian.

THAT'S PERFECT by blixco (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:17:42 AM EST
+1 for you.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
YAY!! by tuscoops (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:22:56 AM EST
story of my life....they don't call it a comedy of errors for nothing.

Also by tuscoops (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:31:20 AM EST
You should like totally open the first "Stand-up Tragedian" bar...with open-mic night and all. It would be *hilarious*.

Open mic poetry nights by blixco (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 09:34:43 AM EST
are sort of like that.  Some are actually funny on purpose, and some are horribly tragic and sad. But they're all worthwhile!
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
In 1986 and 1987 by Herring (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 12:46:16 PM EST
I saw The Smiths live. Is that the wort of thing?

dude... by clock (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 02:44:18 PM EST
...see my hole entry!

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

(Comment Deleted) by tuscoops (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 06:46:28 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by tuscoops

The true opposite of a stand up comedian? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 12:18:33 PM EST
Henry Rollins.

He comes through every once in a while to do his motivational speaking, which is really just a long string of hate and bile followed by screaming at audience members that pose questions for him in a way that makes it apparent they disagree with him.

Though, in its own way, it's even funnier than a stand up routine. He has some valid points, but they become obscured with the his vehemence.

That's funny, by blixco (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 04:21:15 PM EST
as every time I've seen him do his spoken word bits, he's been funny, charming, and engaging.  Sometimes angry, but it's a righteous anger.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin
Maybe I caught him on a bad night. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #21 Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 02:39:13 AM EST
All I know is you don't scream obscenities at your crowd and expect them to remain happy with you.

Of course, looking at it from his perspective, if I had done everything he'd done and then stepped into Sioux Falls and took a look around, I'd probably be pretty angry too.

Did you ever by bruno (4.00 / 1) #20 Fri Apr 04, 2008 at 08:11:45 PM EST
go to the poetry nights out at the Old West Brewery in Mesilla?  I have some very foggy memories of insane poetry, apple beer and smoke-filled cars in the parking lot.  I have no idea who all was there.  Many people.  Week after week of great poetry and random stream-of-consciousness drunken burned-out bullshit.  We all participated quite a bit.  Much of it in the moment.  It was beautiful.  It should have been recorded.  Good laughs, bad art mixed with genius.

Years later, the vat of apple beer exploded and someone had the great idea of turning a little crowded dingy smoke-filled adobe shack into the Old Mesilla Applebees.  Way Out West my fucking ass!

Fridays are for fun | 21 comments (21 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback