Print Story Swirly, empty, swishing.
By nightflameblue (Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:26:28 AM EST) (all tags)

Randomness and crap.

Trying to commission a dude who's looking to do commissions to do Mrs. NFB and me as certain robotic comic characters.  (Our vehicles -> us.)  Seemed a good idea at the time, but the guy who claimed he was looking for commissions, and named a price per character, a very reasonable price, is now refusing to acknowledge any correspondence.  Funny how this brings back memories of every attempt I've ever made to work with any artistic types on anything.

Had an enlightening meeting with team IT yesterday in which we discovered that Zippy's project excuse list hasn't changed in about six weeks now.  And the excuses become lamer every week.  At least the boss said we should bring in episodes of the Office to watch during our meetings so that we can feel like we're actually accomplishing something.

Probably take new pictures tonight of the aquarium.  The plants that appeared to re-root right away are now dying back, while the ones that look to the naked eye like they aren't re-rooting at all look to be green and healthy.  Also, grow lights got put in two nights ago.  Can't tell if it helps or hurts, but they seem much less bright than the old "full spectrum" lights.  Meh.

Musically speaking, apparently I only had one song in me after years away from it.  Figures.  Now that the equipment and the ability is there, the constant running soundtrack in my mind dies away to blah and nothing.

I've been called to task for saying that light weights with a lot of reps lean you up with tone while heavy weights with fewer reps beefcakes you up.  Why?  Because a wiki article says that's all bullshit yo.  Even though countless actual articles on lifting routines say it's true.  Now, I'll admit, changing from thirty pounds lifted ten times to twenty five pounds lifted fifteen times is not going to make a difference at all.  However. . .

Fuck me, why do I care?  Oh, that's right, I don't.  Hand me the Doritos and candy.  Next.

Made a tremendously good egg salad last night.  I still didn't care for much of it.  It's one of those obsessions Mrs. NFB has that I don't share much.  I like it about twice a year.  She wants it about twice a week.  I still make it, because she loves it so.  But I don't get much personal enjoyment from it.  BTW, the secret is dry mustard.  Just so you know.  It's good, but it still just egg salad.

The database appears to be randomly dying on the internal Funhouse website.  Well, not so random, but since I have yet to beat that particular user to death, it appears random to others.

Mrs. Dad thinks Dad is an idiot.  Not that she's had any proof to the contrary.

Heard tell that Mr. Mom met Mrs. Dad long before she was Mrs. Dad.  He was selling insurance to her mom and she was bragging about some new guy she was dating.  Funny how she didn't mention what she liked about being around him.  All she mentioned was that he owned part of a company, he owned nice cars, he had lots of money, he bought lots of shiny objects, he bought this, he bought that. . . .

All of those things fit Dad.  Patterns begin to fit together in the fog of non-reason.  Temptation for confrontation at this point is below zero, because it's just as fun to sit back and watch.  Meh.

Mrs. NFB is 'cidered about gardening right now.  Can't begrudge her that.  Except she expects me to be the expert because I used to farm and have been around gardens before.  Which really means, she's 'cidered about me gardening for her.

Me, I'm not so 'cidered.  I've grown my own food before.  And while it's a nice experience to file away in my own memory banks and I'm grateful for it, it isn't as awesome and wonderful as folks who've never done it want to believe it is.  Especially when you've got dozens of personal projects swimming through your brain pan that you don't have time for already.

Not that any of this changes the fact that we'll have a garden.  Because that's the way this works yo.

FANBOI MOMENT, PLEASE AVERT YOUR EYES: Jonah Hill to be in TF2 as the "funny, but edgy roomate" = fuck you Michael Bay.  I put up with humans killing Decepticons.  I put up with EMO "please let me sacrifice myself" Prime.  I put up with loser-boy saving the day and doing what Prime himself didn't have the guts to do.  I've been supportive of your nonsense to this point, but this I won't tolerate.  You turn TF2 into Superbad - the big budget version and I'll turn my foot into your launch pad.  I want to see robots beat the crap out of each other, not Jonah Hill sucking my will to live.

</FANBOI MOMENT>

Mrs. NFB's reality shows are beginning to end for another season.  This leaves her less than happy.  She's scrambling to figure out what she'll watch on TV once they're over, because we can't turn it off.  I suggested we have a couple reading nights a week with maybe some music as background noise and the panic-face went into effect to the point I thought I was gonna have to throw water at her to get her to come back to reality (not TV).  This does not bode well for the summer.

I need to clean out the shop and start some of my out-of-the-house projects back up.  I had some painting projects I started last fall that could use some more work once the temperature swings back to nominal.  Speaking of which . . .

More fucking snow this weekend?  FUCK YOU WEATHER MAN!  I HATE YOU TOO!  As far as I know there hasn't been snow in Suck Balls in May since the sixties.  What really drives me nuts is this weird temperature fluctuation.  Eighties one day, below freezing and snow the next.  Crazy shit.

INSERT GLOBAL WARMING RANT HERE.

BB starts in on Obama the other day to me.  "He's got ties to terrorist groups.  I don't trust him.  He's just shady all the way around."

"OK," says I, "you just described every politician in forever except for that terrorist thing.  And where are you getting that from?"

"JUST LOOK AT HIS NAME!"

I blink.  "You can't be serious."

He was.

Enough.  Laterz.

< Fiction | animaniacs >
Swirly, empty, swishing. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Exercise and diet by blixco (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:29:58 AM EST
are like religion and politics: I try to never discuss them anymore.

Plus, everyone's an expert!  So no-one is wrong.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Funny. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:34:14 AM EST
I saw your reply header in my side bar and was already prepared to get some experts "advice" on how wrong I was.  I guess exercise and diet is another thing to put on the "only when I feel fiesty" list.

Reps versus weight by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 07:25:43 AM EST
The added benefit is that, for old farts like me, low weight and high reps seems to be easier on the joints.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Top tip by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:11:52 AM EST
Low weights and low reps? EVEN EASIER!!!!!!!111111

Evan E-Zr by curmudgeon (2.00 / 0) #19 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:32:28 AM EST
Sit on your ass and watch T.V.
Get over it.
Low weight, high reps - by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 11:20:29 AM EST
drinking beer.

the secret is dry mustard. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:34:23 AM EST
And celery seed. Seriously. 1/4tsp does wonders for egg and/or potato salad.

Good time to take up gardening, what with the coming food riots and all.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Don't get me started. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:45:14 AM EST
on the bullshit food panic.

I hear assholes on the news talking about how it's all because farmers are converting all their food growing land over to ethanol growing land and I just want to start kicking the TV around the house.  No you idiots.  Ever single aspect of crops requires fuel.  From cultivation to planting to transport to the distribution centers and stores.  Fuel costs go up, food costs go up.  DOIY!  Dumb fucks.

That too. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #5 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 06:53:13 AM EST
Turning food into ethanol (which allows the wealthy to drive, while forcing the poor to starve), but that's another rant) may not be a huge part of the food problem. But it is a part. It's also morally unsound.

Subsidies distorting crop choices (corn for ethanol over wheat for bread) is also an issue.

Global warming and the Australian drought that it's exacerbating is complicit in the global rice shortage.

Commodity price bubbles (where do you think the traders went after the mortgage collapse? ) are a problem.

In the US, the declining dollar raises the price of everything. Including oil.

Oil prices are really only a major problem in the US. The price in Euros hasn't climbed nearly as far as it has in dollars.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Sure. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 07:02:40 AM EST
but in Europe they were paying the equivalent of five bucks a gallon five years ago.  So they SHOULDN'T be paying more now.

And the idea that farmers are somehow getting more money out of ethanol production for their corn pisses me off to no end.  You know it's not the farmer that's making money off of that.  At least, you would if you'd ever farmed.  Corn price to a farmer is corn price, regardless of what it's being used for.

ethanol by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 09:04:04 AM EST
IS contributing to the overall rise in food prices.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

And why is ethanol even being pursued? by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 09:40:28 AM EST
Because fuel prices are going up, not because it burns "cleaner."

And I'll repeat, it's not the farmers who are to blame for this.

correct by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 09:45:27 AM EST
It isn't a solution because the energy ROI is only ~2x. The only feasible crops-for-fuel grow in the tropics, like palm oil. Of course they're all an ecological disaster regardless.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

HIPPIES! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 09:55:34 AM EST
GIVE ME COAL BURNIN' STEAMERS!

The solution does not exist.  Well, it does, but nobody likes it because it's scary.  Power = potential.  Potential = terra'ist.  So, we stick with stupid fossil fuels and various substitutes, all of which suck at least equally as much as the fossil fuels themselves.

the solution by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:08:43 AM EST
a decrease in population and a decrease in energy use per capita.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Well, sure, if you're going for reasonable. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:30:16 AM EST
But with the number of couples thinking five or more kids should be a god-given right for every married couple, and that each of those kids needs three TVs, four computers and seven hand-held devices before they reach age seven, and two cars by the time they reach seventeen, that's not going to happen.

yep by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 11:36:35 AM EST
starvation and war are on their way for the world's poorer countries.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Which the US is doing its best to become. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 11:59:03 AM EST
AH HA!  So there IS a solution.

sorta by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 12:00:29 PM EST
we can retreat to a diet of corn and beans when the time comes. Bangladesh, not so much.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I'm an American. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #25 Thu May 01, 2008 at 02:00:18 AM EST
Why would I give a shit about some furriners?

Not just the poor countries by dmg (2.00 / 0) #26 Thu May 01, 2008 at 02:29:52 PM EST
It's going to get interesting for the rich ones too.

80% depopulation is not going to be achieved without some suffering.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I'm having Easter egg salad right now by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 07:05:43 AM EST
I should have added dry mustard, it's a little bland.

You misunderstood. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 07:22:14 AM EST
He's not looking for work, just commissions.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
He sucks at that too. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 07:27:40 AM EST
He hasn't gotten my money yet.

You need to read by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 08:21:53 AM EST
Death Metal and the Indian Identity.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

ObComment by curmudgeon (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:34:08 AM EST
I like it about twice a year. She wants it about twice a week.
Funny, I have the exact opposite problem.
Get over it.