Print Story It's official
Yep - you guessed it...

I've become a rugged outdoors-man and taken up hiking.

Yep - me and the great outdoors are one and the same. I know some of you may scoff at the the idea of me, an Internet SuperHero and lunch ombudsman for the common man, becoming a rugged nail-eatin trail-master. Master of the trails. Trail King. King of the trails. Mr. Trail Master. But in fact that's exactly what's happened.

In fact here's the trail I was on earlier today:

Yep, out in the great unknown with nothing but me and my new GPS gizmo wits for survival. Not for the faint of heart - fer shure.

It's a little known fact that the first pyramids were built in the Cleveland Metroparks:

This is some advanced stuff here, hanging over a cliff to get a shot of this water-fall, risking my life for my art. Indeed, I'm actually hanging off a cliff with one arm while shooting the picture with my other arm, I don't recommend that you try this as home.

Looks like a pretty steep ascent here, eh? But not to worry - all that time spent on the elliptical machine have served me well. Even without the proper hiking boots (note - must get to outdoors store and purchase some proper hiking boots) I climbed up with nary a problem.

Ah...Springtime in Ohia! You don't get views like this sitting around the pub knocking down a pint, or whatever you blokes do. Nay, only a certified rugged outdoors-man such as myself, willing to risk life and limb, will ever get to see majestic views like this!

So there you have it. I've been doing quite a bit of research and have been putting together supplies for going on some day-hikes and in a couple weeks hope to be ready to tackle some day-long road-trip hikes. I still need to get a day-pack, some boots, a first-aid kit, a flashlight, and maybe some other minor stuff like emergency freeze-dried foods and whatnot. I'm not sure if I want to get a little tent and do the whole multi-day hike thing, but I'll see how it goes. I'm even playing around with taking the whole summer off and just hiking around like the god damned rugged metrosexual hippie that I am.

So that's it for now. I'll see YOU on the trail!

--Bob nee (Your Best Pal) "Trail Master" Abbooey

< EPIC... uh, SUCCESS | SWFC#0 Results! >
It's official | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Moving average 1.8!? by ucblockhead (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 02:58:51 PM EST
Get a move on, slacker!
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman
Aye by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:33:24 PM EST
That was just .16 miles into it - all of which was a fairly steep climb on loose dirt.

That said - I was lolly-gagging most of the hike whilst enjoying the scenery.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Be careful of those long solo hikes in the Ozarks by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:10:05 PM EST

Speaking of which by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:34:48 PM EST
Has there been an official report on his death?

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

Yes, he's officially dead by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:38:18 PM EST
and none of the heels at k5 ponied up $5 for the zombie_trhurler account.

I don't know if there were any autopsy findings, though.

I'm not sayin'anything, but... by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 03:34:12 AM EST
he was the first K5er to figure out my real identity -- when was it? -- in 2000, I guess...

So did you lug a blanket along by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 03:36:40 AM EST
for all the risquee sex-in-the-woods "what a thrill" stops the lady friend demanded ?

Are you on drugs? by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 05:46:56 AM EST
~nt~

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

shit man, by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 05:50:32 AM EST
if she can't handle hanging out and watching TV for an hour or two with out wanting sex, who's to say she can't manage a 2 mile hike with out dropping trau for some action ? Unless you get her really huffing and puffing by picking up the pace, hoping to wear her out .. Maybe that's your strategy ?

Where did you hike? by theboz (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 03:42:50 AM EST
I've actually been to every single state park in Ohio, and your photos remind me a lot of one in Southern Ohio with a lot of neat waterfalls and stuff.  I don't remember the name of it though, so I'm curious if you went there or where you took it.

I also remember going camping as a kid at some of those state parks and bringing friends/cousins along and meeting girls.  Camp-girlfriends were so much fun, and yet so lame at the same time.
- - - - -

Northern Ohio by Bob Abooey (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 05:45:46 AM EST
That trail was in South Euclid methinks.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

spending your government cheese on GPS? by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 08:14:35 AM EST
That thing ain't cheap, bob. I have that exact model myself, purchased from the middle-class sports emporium.

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

I got it on for a good price by Bob Abooey (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:03:27 AM EST
Amazon had them about a hundred bucks cheaper than the brick -n- mortar places around here. Course the topo map and carrying case and 2 gig flash memory add another hundred on top of that. I must say, the bastard is right impressive. It gets great reception and It's getting me around 10 to 15 feet from my waypoints in my testing thus far.

Do you have the topo map? If so what do you think of it? Mine hasn't been delivered yet. Are there any sites that offer downloads for that sort of thing?

I figured since I'm homeless (currently living in the dumpster behind Arby's) it would come in handy. I've got waypoints set for all the good shelters and routes setup from them to the soup-kitchens. Frankly I don't know how the other homeless people get by without one.

Warmest regards,
--Your best pal Bob

How's my blogging: Call me at 209.867.5309 to complain.

I got by MillMan (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 30, 2008 at 10:11:39 AM EST
the full US road map on a 2 gig chip for $100. Their stuff is largely uncracked, it seems, otherwise I would have just downloaded it. I didn't get the topo maps - I prefer paper maps for hiking (but still use the GPS to keep stats and for emergency use).

When I'm imprisoned as an enemy combatant, will you blog about it?

Outdoors have bears by duxup (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu May 01, 2008 at 07:52:20 AM EST