Print Story Evil Landlord for a Day - Something is wrong with duxup's eye
By duxup (Mon Apr 28, 2008 at 06:12:21 PM EST) (all tags)
Topics:

duxup and Mrs. duxup are evil landlords for a day

duxup has something wrong with his right eye Edit: Got a appointment at 14:00 today to get the eye looked at.

Evil Landlord for a Day

Background Info: We have lived in our new home for a few months now.  We're still selling our Townhouse that sits with most of our old furniture in it to keep it looking nice.

Last week our Realtor called us and got a hold of my wife.  She told her that she's selling another home that is about to have an offer made on it.  The family living in that home is building a new home but the offer will be "move in ASAP" and the family might need a place to stay for a few months until their new home is ready.  She wondered if we'd be willing to rent our place for a few months.  She noted she's got a few other places in mind but that she's letting just us know about it first.

Mrs. duxup is prone to getting pushed around by other people.  She did a good job though and despite constant expressions about how great an idea this is she wouldn't commit to anything.  Of course the Realtor thinks this is a great idea.  Duh, it is a slow, if not dead housing market and if it works out she knows she could sell a property.  She had all these ideas about how we could still keep showing our Townhouse and offer some "credit" to them taking like $25 off the rent each month or something for each showing to make sure they keep it clean.  She even suggested a rental price... gee thanks.

My thoughts:

-This whole plan benefits the Realtor, of course

-Sure we'd get some money but also during the busiest (relatively) home selling time.  We want to sell our home, not rent it out.

-There are no assurances that these people won't hinder the process of selling our home.  In fact I see no way that they wouldn't be at least SOME sort of PIA.

-We'd have to move our furniture in the Townhouse out so these people could move in, and we don't want to move it all back if / when we're still trying to sell it and an empty house stinks...

We don't want to be landlords of any sort.

What we know so far:

-Realtor thinks this is a great idea (no ####).

-The family is from South Africa (but as the Realtor noted several times not black um ok... yeeesh) and have lived in the area for a couple years.

-The house they're selling is about the price of our current home (the new one not the house they want to rent) and their new house is more than TWICE the price of our new home, and our new home is big.   So why are they so frantic about this?  Yes the Realtor noted the wife of the family is very frantic and is thinking of turning down the offer unless they have a place to stay.

I'm leaning toward no and I tell the wife to tell the Realtor such, but that we'll look into the Townhouse Association's rules.  The wife agrees and even suggests to our Realtor that if she has other houses in mind to give those owners a call and see if they're interested in it.

Next morning we're sleeping in late because we can.  We get a call and the Mrs. duxup answers it despite not knowing who it is.  It is the frantic wife from the potential renters... um, who said they could call us?  I guess the Realtor told them to call.  The wife listens to a long sob story (aren't these people buying a huge house?) and that they're very respectful and won't cause any problems and so on and so fort.  Oh and they're from South Africa but not black what the heck?  The wife tells the lady (several times) that we're leaning toward no.  We want to sell, not rent.  We don't want to move our stuff out.  The lady offers to live with the existing furniture with her family and not break the furniture.  The frantic wife mentions the price the Realtor suggested and those details.  Hey wait, who decides that????   Yeesh.  Wife hangs up with lady after more of the sob story.

I forgot to do so but I should have had the wife tell the lady that some of her neighbors would be black... just to see her response.

So we discuss it and seriously consider doing this but with some rules:

-Month to month lease.

-If someone wants to buy the new house, you don't get a new lease.

-The price is $300 more a month than this mysterious suggested price.

We still think this is a bad idea but whatever, we're not really expecting the housing market to suddenly recover .... blargh.

The wife calls the Realtor and in the process asks if she knows anyone who has done this kind of subletting before and a few other questions about drawing up a lease ... suddenly the Realtor wants nothing to do with this.  Of course not!  She thinks she's getting her sale and doesn't want to do anything more.

The wife calls the lady and lays down the basics of what we have to offer.  The lady responds oh so now it is X dollars a month! she gets all frantic and ends up saying stuff like oh I just don't know!  more sob story and hangs up without saying anything committal.  That was last week, we haven't heard from her since.  Thank goodness.

Did I mention these people's house that they're building is seriously huge and expensive?  WTF?

Oh and they're not black.

Eye

My right eye suddenly went wonky recently.  I have a lot of floaters, always have, but this is different.  It feels like there is something in there, big and makes things blurry.  Well it doesn't "feel" it just "looks".  The eye is as clear as the good eye (my eyes are usually really red anyway) but is a bit "gunky" at times but I'm not sure if that is a reaction from the blurriness rather than whatever is going on.  I very much hate it.

I do not like this, AT ALL.  I'm going to look up the eye doc soon.  I haven't been in for a checkup in a while anyway. Edit: Due to overwhelming Husi pressure I have an eye doc appt today at 14:00.

< calgary compulsive carouser | Oh yeah. >
Evil Landlord for a Day - Something is wrong with duxup's eye | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Oh dear by Merekat (4.00 / 3) #1 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 12:07:26 AM EST
Tell them you won't rent to them because they're not black;)

(unfortunately then they have a reason to sue) by fluffy (4.00 / 1) #15 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 07:07:57 AM EST
It could have been worse by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #2 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 02:21:06 AM EST
They could have been from Ireland (but they DONT eat potatoes!)

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Mate you leave it any longer by Breaker (4.00 / 2) #3 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 02:22:35 AM EST
And you may have trouble with the going to look up the eye doc soon part of this diary...

I do AliG renting by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 02:43:17 AM EST
I'll rent to anybody as long as she is hawt!

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
If someone wants to buy the new house, by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #5 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:34:20 AM EST
you don't get a new lease.

And if they won't leave on such short notice? Generally you need to give at least one month's notice. Often two. Don't rent for less than a year. Lots of that going on around here in NoVa as people give up on selling in a hurry.

Get the eye looked at now. Today. Detached retinas are nothing to mess around with.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Month to month by duxup (2.00 / 0) #8 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 04:38:05 AM EST
Yeah they'd get four weeks notice but no new lease for the next month.
____
GO TO TEH DOC! by nightflameblue (4.00 / 3) #6 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:55:47 AM EST
Now.  Eyes is one thing I do NOT mess around with.  Mrs. NFB's mom messed around with a slight eye problem one time and almost lost vision in that eye forever because of it.  Thank goodness her kids got ahold of her and forced her to go before it became completely unrepairable.

On the rental note:  That entire thing sounds fishy as hell.  You know what it felt like?  We got an email this morning about one of our banks needing to set up extra security to protect against fraud and "just click here" to enter your information.  It didn't go to a bank owned site.  THAT'S what that rental/lease story sounds like.  Desperation like what that lady seems to have just adds to that feeling.  Something is not cool there.  I'd say hellz no.  But that's just me.

Will do by duxup (4.00 / 1) #9 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 05:13:34 AM EST
I'm doing the every few years who the heck provides my eye insurance this year? search at work today.
____
It should be your regular health insurance by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #12 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 05:58:46 AM EST
This would be a opthamology exam, not optometry and therefore medical, not vision. You'd probably need a referral, though.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
yes by gzt (4.00 / 2) #14 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 07:06:09 AM EST
And I want to second those people telling you to get it checked out, like, today. whether you need a referral or not depends on what sort of insurance you have.

Eye stuff by duxup (4.00 / 1) #16 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 07:21:47 AM EST
For whatever reason we have a separate vision plan.  Although I figure I could hit the regular MD for this kind of thing too.
____
sha, very fishy. by gzt (4.00 / 2) #17 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 12:14:55 PM EST
And I mean, really, it seems at least mildly inappropriate for the realtor to be suggesting this. I don't know whether people actually doing that sort of thing is common/precedented, but the way the realtor is going about it is just weaksauce and unprofessional. I wouldn't naturally assume at the outset that it's a scam, though it could be, but it seems so ill-managed that it doesn't seem advisable. From the way it was proposed, I don't think that the resolution would be very good even if it all went according to plan.

As a noted internet personality who loves many by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #7 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 03:58:29 AM EST
you don't sound like landlord material.

We found out we're not landlord material, since we trust people and generally expect people to honor their commitments. Months of late rent, no rent, an eviction and months of fixing the house have changed that idea.

Don't do it by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #10 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 05:17:37 AM EST
It smells. Non-black people often feign desperation in order to get a better deal. If you let them in, you'll never get them out. And if you force them out, you'll have to do a lot of repairs.

Also: get to the Dr. ASAP. There are two things with those symptoms that could be very bad. I'm sure there are other things that aren't bad, but you need to check on the two now. Right now.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

Yup and Yup by duxup (4.00 / 2) #11 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 05:20:23 AM EST
Nothing about the situation sounds right.

I'm looking up my stupid vision insurance as we speak so I can call the Dr.
____

Allergies? by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #13 Tue Apr 29, 2008 at 06:10:54 AM EST
Could your eye problem be some new seasonal allergy? Seems like I get new ones every year.

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin