Print Story Da Zippy report.
By nightflameblue (Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 08:07:49 AM EST) (all tags)
Zippy's been busy this week.

He screwed up all sorts of stuff early in the week, including a couple printers, a couple servers, and a desktop and laptop combo job he futzed up.  But the cake-taking started on Wednesday.

He had asked for and received vacation/PTO for Thursday.  But at some point on Wednesday his wife lost her mind and told him he needed to come home right now and do whatever it was he took Thursday off to do.  So, he quickly went out and did the job we had told him needed done the day before, as he had been planning on doing it right before he left.  The job?  Swapping an old printer for a new one.

He did.

Of course, he didn't change any print drivers anywhere in the chain between servers or the desktop it's attached to.  Just swapped the printers and left.

So the users couldn't print at all.

BRILLIANT!

Then, today, he gives a new laptop to one of our "trainers," the one person in the building that, given a pencil, requires three people standing over her to to make sure she doesn't jab it in her eye instead of try to write with it, then comes to me and says, "I need to go get gas before it starts snowing.  I'll be back in five minutes."

It's now forty minutes later, and no one has seen any sign of him.  The gas station he claimed he was going to is about a block away.  BB went on a scouting mission and can turn up no trace of him either at the gas station or anywhere along the way.

And guess who just called?  Trainer.  She can't get logged into the laptop.  So, I go get her logged in then she starts ranting at me about what's going on with the font sizes and why isn't this program there and why isn't that program there.

I drew a line in the sand.  "Ask Zippy."

"But you're here now."

"And I have absolutely nothing to do with loading new windows machines.  It was his project, and he needs to be the one to finish it."

"But, can't you fix it?"

"Honestly, probably not."  I've tried fixing Zippy errors on system loads before and it usually ends up being a full reload to get it back to operational.  This from a dead-load he just completed.

She finally relented and said I should just send him up when he gets back.

I'm currently not holding my breath on him making it back today.  It started snowing while he was gone.  I'm sure he took that to mean he needed to get his ass home right now.

BB's out.  Destro's out.  Zippy's disappeared.  And it's Friday afternoon.

The rock is about to start happening.

< Men fish over dead girl | Attn: Mornington Crescent Infidels >
Da Zippy report. | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The question is by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #1 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 08:57:17 AM EST
WTF are you still doing there ?

Preventing the world from falling apart? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 09:09:41 AM EST
Killing time?

instead of by sasquatchan (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 09:33:02 AM EST
working on your aquarium, RTFO, reading/watching/playing with transformers ? I know where I'd rather be when everyone else flys the coop..

Well, sure. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 09:48:13 AM EST
I'd RATHER be at home.  But I'd also rather have a job come Monday.  Leaving the company to spin with no IT staff at all is a bad idea.  It's happened before.  I don't want to see it happen again.

out of 4 folks by sasquatchan (4.00 / 3) #5 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 09:54:15 AM EST
you're the self-made martyr ?

No. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19:07 AM EST
I'm one of three of the "martyrs."  If any one of us is left alone, aside from Zippy, we stay because we don't want to see what we've seen once before.  People panic when IT isn't here and do some really, REALLY stupid shit.  Like randomly rebooting servers when things aren't working the way they think they should be working.

Zippy just takes off if the other three of us are gone.  We do our best to not let that happen.

Zippy should be your boss by Rogerborg (4.00 / 4) #11 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:33:56 AM EST
I base this on the observation that he's much, much smarter than you.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I find it smarter to prevent the mess. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:50:30 AM EST
Rather than come in at 3:00 AM to fix it.

But then he leaves at mid day by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #16 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 12:08:56 PM EST
a hero.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Funny how that works. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #17 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 12:13:16 PM EST
I leave at mid-day, no matter what time I arrived, and I'm that rotten fucker that never puts in a full day.  I'm not sure why that rule doesn't apply to Zipster.

He probably talks himself up a bit more than I do myself.  Maybe I should be more obnoxious?

Martyrdom by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #18 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 12:21:29 PM EST
As far as I can see, the secret is to slump rather than whinge.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Why would by ks1178 (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:41:36 AM EST
Non-IT staff members have access to the server room?

It should be locked, to prevent just that type of stupidity

We've tried, believe me. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 3) #13 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:50:02 AM EST
But due to piss-poor planning the server room is also the roof access.  Which means it must be available to maintenance at all times.  Which means, even when it's locked, maintenance has a key so can let any manager into the room when they ask.

And despite our protestations, maintenance WILL let any manager into that room when asked.

A server room can be a dangerous place. by chuckles (4.00 / 3) #6 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 10:19:21 AM EST
It would be unfortunate for an improperly-secured, fully-loaded rack enclosure to tip over and fall on someone.

That's why you should always use blade servers. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 10:52:42 AM EST
[nt]

Blades slide pretty fast. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:19:40 AM EST
Just sayin'.

No. Sorry. I'm AGREEING with chuck. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:31:56 AM EST
A big rack of blades would make a fine egg slicer.

Somebody notify Hollyweird. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #15 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 11:51:38 AM EST
I will not be satisfied until I see a death scene involving the egg-slicer blade center concept put to use.

Da Zippy report. | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback