Print Story Muscle Cars
By cam (Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 10:23:24 AM EST) (all tags)
Richard Hammond on muscle cars:

There are those who don't like muscle cars, who can't understand their appeal and frown at them in confusion and bewilderment. They will not like the new Challenger. And we should pity these people - pity them, but not fear them, because they are spineless and have no soul.

He continues:

If a car is a dynamic creature, if it's about taking you from where you are to where you need to be and making your hair tingle in the process, then a muscle car is the ultimate expression of that form. A muscle car is about, as the name might suggest, the muscle - it is there because of its engine. Yes, there are lots of other fiddly bits that keep the wheels on the ground, make the windows go up and down and tell people when you're turning left, but the engine is the living, beating heart of the thing.

And in a muscle car, the chassis, the wheels, the wires, electronic gizmos and you, the driver, are there to tend to the engine's needs - to nurture it, nourish it, flatter it and give it all that it demands to go about the business of firing you towards the horizon. Ideally without a big fire. They are about power. And power, in whatever form, has been perhaps the single most alluring thing for human beings since the moment we crawled out of the primaeval ooze and threw a spear at a mammoth.

< Herrring WINS! | Welcome to the Stone Age of Discontent >
Muscle Cars | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
So, how much does gas cost in AZ? by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 12:43:02 PM EST
Asked the guy driving the UuV

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

NS. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 12:53:41 PM EST
No Soul.

Go back to your Alan Alda-mobile!

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

I dunno by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 01:24:15 PM EST
Korean War era jeeps probably didn't get great mileage.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Premium is 3.75 by cam (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 01:31:05 PM EST
Costs about $40 for half a tank. I can recall bitching when the C4 cost $30 to fill up when premium was $1.50 a gallon.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I lied I just payed 3.53 by cam (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 02:59:46 PM EST
and 7/8ths to full cost about $60.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Ouch by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 02:40:20 AM EST
I pay about $35 to fill up the tank on my Element. I've already budgeted $1000 for gas to/from the beach this summer.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I do get decent gas mileage though by cam (2.00 / 0) #29 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:29:24 AM EST
so dont mind, I usually average between 22mpg and 23mpg. Cleaner highway trips (like Tombstone) return about 27mpg. Given that I am packing a 400hp 6.0L V8 I reckon that is pretty good.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I have to admit by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #3 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 12:55:01 PM EST
When I was done reading that article I noticed I had a little drool on one corner of my mouth and, somehow, there was a pack of cigarettes rolled into the sleeve of my white tee shirt.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
I like the Challenger by cam (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 01:32:25 PM EST
It is a nice car, if I wasnt so wedded to the vette then I would probably consider it. That or the Pontiac (Holden) Ute. In muscle cars anyway. The new Camaro doesnt do anything for me, neither does the Mustang.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Really? by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #12 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 04:54:06 PM EST
I really liked the looks of the new Mustangs - but that's probably because they look a lot like the '71 Mach-I my dad had for a while.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
I like them, they are an attractive car by cam (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 04:56:50 PM EST
but not enough to induce me to test drive one when I was in the market to replace my old vette.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

71 Mach-I by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #25 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 03:43:35 AM EST
I was riding in one of those when it got pulled over by a helicopter on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.

Who knew that 120 in a 55 zone would attract the Pennsylvania State Police Air Force?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I don't like the new challenger by me0w (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 06:11:11 PM EST
I look at it and think that some mullet-headed reject will get out all dressed in his the-80's-called-and-I-want-my-clothes-back attire. Gives me the creeps.

why do you hate by cam (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 06:27:58 PM EST
Australians living in America in their late-30s?

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Do you have a mullet? by me0w (4.00 / 2) #16 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 06:35:06 PM EST

Used to by cam (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 06:56:30 PM EST
It may be mean ... by me0w (4.00 / 3) #22 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 02:38:25 AM EST
But now I am openly laughing.

I was the height of fashion by cam (4.00 / 1) #28 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:26:10 AM EST
with my mullet, brown flanno, ripped jeans and ugg boots.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

I had a waist length mullet. by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #26 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 03:45:10 AM EST
When I was riding the motorcycle it was a waist length ponytail.

Man, I wish I had a good picture of me with long hair.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

I will have to laugh at you too then :) by me0w (2.00 / 0) #27 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 04:33:10 AM EST

I swear I can smell oil and gas on my hands by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #9 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 03:00:20 PM EST
oh yeah, I can, I took apart my starter clutch, removed a stupid thrust washer and put it back together.

Hows that going, then? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #30 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:48:20 AM EST
Did it fix the problem?

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
It turns over now, and I bought threadlok today by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #31 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 05:59:18 AM EST
so Saturday I will take it apart, tighten up and threadlok the starter clutch bolt, maybe clean my carb jets, and see what Sunday brings.

Hmm by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 01:56:16 PM EST
Without a chrome bumper, a muscle car somehow looks neutered.

Still, I have to admit the appeal of a well-designed muscle car. What is it about the design that makes it work? Is there some psychological theory behind it?

Damn, I should've taken at least one industrial design class when I was in college.

car design is pretty simple by cam (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 03:00:36 PM EST
make it look mean; wide stance, plenty in the hips, and angry lights at the front.

cam
Freedom, liberty, equity and an Australian Republic

Via Clarkson by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #18 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 10:30:01 PM EST
It's the arms-out-to-the-side stance.  You're driving the George W. Bush of cars.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
You need to brush up on by wumpus (4.00 / 2) #24 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 03:12:00 AM EST
wider politics to troll yanks (or aussies in USia). Larry Craig is the one with the wide stance.

Wumpus

Penis? by johnny (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 03:04:08 PM EST
I always thought the muscle car was about showing you have or wish you had a big dick?

I've ridden muscle cars as a passenger. Boy, does that suck. I've driven muscle cars. That's better.

I've also, long ago, rebuilt a muscle car engine. That was illuminating, but I wouldn't want to do it again.

Also, I hope Danica wins the Indy 500.

I guess you could say I'm generally conflicted on this topic.
Buy my books, dammit!

Danica by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #21 Fri Apr 25, 2008 at 02:25:06 AM EST
I liked Jensen Buttons comments about her:

"A girl with big boobs would never be comfortable in the car. And the mechanics wouldn't concentrate. Can you imagine strapping her in?"

Strangely, he seems to be a lot less successful than her....

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Consider the source though by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 10:36:43 PM EST
Hammond is a mental.  I find it hard to trust the opinions of brains that have been in a joint-occupancy situation.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Also true by Phage (4.00 / 1) #20 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 10:48:44 PM EST
Of motorcycles1, planes and firearms.

1 Excludes almost the entire HD and BMW range. Watching a 'Roaring Sporties' series at Oran Park was one of the funniest things I've seen. Highly recommended.

Muscle Cars | 31 comments (31 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback