Print Story Somebody shut her up.
By nightflameblue (Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:14:56 AM EST) (all tags)
Hillary Clinton has the worst case of politically motivated selective hearing I've ever seen.

Shut it.  Late->early.  Meetings to discuss our meetings.  Twisted panties.

I had to leave for work early this morning.  Not because of my massive workload, but because Hillary Clinton was all over the TV being Hillary Clinton.

First up was her insistence that she's winning the "big and important" states, while Barrack is winning the "small and not as significant" states.  She was bordering on saying that smaller population states just shouldn't be considered at all.

Then her insistence that winning Pensylvania means she's got this puppy wrapped the fuck up and Barrack better just pack it in.

Then she started babbling about how she has the experience to do things Barrack can't do, like get Nationalized Health Care off the ground.  Because, obviously, she did so well at that before.

Then the corker that really got me.  Exit polls said that fifty percent of people would like to see Barrack tone down his attacks on Hillary.  Sixty-eight percent said they'd like to see Hillary tone down her attacks on Barrack.  When confronted with these numbers, Hillary's only response was to say that it's obvious that the people in Pensylvania liked her better based on the results and that she's going to continue to run her "positive" campaign.  She was asked twice about it.  She continued to stick her fingers in her ears and say "LA LA LA LA LA CAN'T HEAR YOU LA LA LA LA."

She makes me angry on a level few politicians have the ability to do.  And politicians in general do nothing but piss me off because all of them are self-focused douche-nozzles that become completely ineffectual the second they take office.

The sad thing is, Barrack does not get air time whether he wins or loses.  In the states Barrack wins, they ask Hillary what her reaction is.  In the states Hillary wins, they ask for her self-congradulatory speech.

It's all about the Hillary.  I guess it really is her turn.

Sadly, I now have to come to grips with the fact that our next president is going to piss me off even more than our current president.  And before this campaign season got rolling, I wouldn't have thought that possible.

I need to go back to not giving a shit about anything political.  Caring about it is just going to make me insane.

BREAK

So, my aquarium plants arrive tonight.  Which means I'll be up late planting them so they don't die on me.  And then I promised BB I'd take early shift for him on Thursday.  So, I'll be up late, and up early.  PERFECT PLAN!

I look to be in a terrific mood tomorrow!

BREAK

Having a meeting with Destro this morning to discuss all the things we haven't been talking about in our regular staff meetings.  Namely, the supposed dozens and dozens of projects his disappointed in me for not completing that no one has ever told me about.  He's been sitting on this big ol' project list and not telling me about any of them, but he's upset that I haven't done any of them.

Once I found out about this issue I tackled it head on and asked him to discuss it with me.  So we had to plan a meeting to discuss it.  And it starts. . . right now.

. . .

Ah, back.  No big deal.  Ten thousand HR reports that are requiring the world to be calculated in .000001 seconds and a request from Brak to re-engineer our maintenance tracking database from the group up while retaining all old data.  Should be loads of fun.

BREAK

It never ceases to amaze me how much hatred and anger exists on hobby message boards online.  Yesterday alone I witnessed a fanboi fight break out on a Transformers message board about some toy that was released as an exclusive that people really wanted and couldn't afford and a hard-core knock-down/drag-out erupt on an aquarium message board over stocking levels in a hundred plus gallon aquarium that was taller rather than wider.

You know what happens when I start feeling anger and disgust towards a hobby?  Find a different hobby.

Mostly though, I don't get angry with my hobbies.  Though I must say the people who share my hobbies sometimes deserve it, I mostly just laugh at them.  I mean, what other reaction can you have to a bunch of thirty year olds ready to kill each other because a couple of them got a plastic toy robot that the others wished they could afford?  Kids on a playground. . . yadda yadda yadda.

Enough.  I've got databases to fuck up.  Outz.

< A Day in the Life | Life Imitates Georgeha >
Somebody shut her up. | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
The stupidity of the big state argument by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:24:35 AM EST
is that it assumes that people would ONLY vote for Hillary in those big states.  I suspect the chances of say New York democrats deciding en masse that they'll just not vote for Obama were he the nominee in November is hmmmmm, about zip.

She (and Obama) have both openly said that they believe that democrats will rally around the nominee.  That undercuts her whole argument.

This damn thing is only going to get worse.  Obama will win the delegate and popular vote, and somehow, someway, she'll end up being the nominee, at which point I'll vote for someone else.  The kind of thinking whereby one ignores silly things like the will of the people leads to things like ignoring the laws of the United States.  We already have 7 years of proof of that, I don't want 7 more.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Congratulations by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:35:27 AM EST
For not being part of le masse.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Who said by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #10 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:13:59 AM EST
I was a democrat?

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Sorry, my mistake by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:25:09 AM EST
In my defence, impotent railing against The System is generally a fairly strong indicator.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
As opposed to by ad hoc (4.00 / 1) #21 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:48:22 AM EST
heavily armed railing against The System?
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Well, it's all impotent by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:56:03 AM EST
I think the difference between Democrats and other losers is mostly whether the IP resolves to a municipal region, or a compound.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Why get all worked up about politics? by muchagecko (4.00 / 3) #2 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:25:52 AM EST
Shouldn't the last eight years have pounded you into complete numbness?

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
My biggest problem? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:38:01 AM EST
I'm stupid.  Really.

The last eight years I hung my hat on the hope that there'd be so much backlash to he-who-shall-not-be-named's actions that we'd get a polar opposite in office to sort of fix up the most egregious of his actions, all while creating their own set of other problems.

Instead, what I'm confronted with is the possibility that the choice will be between someone that takes Bush's creepiness factor and adds in more guns and self-righteousness, and someone who takes all of Bush's arrogance and self-delusion and adds in a healthy dose of "I can make up my own history because nobody knows the truth anyway."  Meanwhile, the one candidate that doesn't cause me to instantly start dry-heaving is marginalized further and further, despite the fact that he remains in the lead delegate wise.

Hillary's going to pull a Bush just to GET the candidacy.  It makes me ill to think we'll have four, or possibly eight, more years of stupid bullshit to tolerate before there's any hope of having a candidate in the running that sucks less than Bush.

It's not like Barrack is the perfect candidate in my mind.  It's just he's the least obviously evil in the running.  Therefore, he's the most likely to get pushed off the stage before it gets down to the real push.

LOLWOT? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #9 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:11:06 AM EST
Edwards isn't in the lead.  Don't tell me Obama's bowling score didn't give you the boak.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
^^^ Ghetto Seven by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:22:48 AM EST

Are we... are we doing this now? Are you sure? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #5 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:44:48 AM EST
Honestly now: did you really believe that USACorp would allow an uppity unknown to get the office?  McCain and Clinton are both already bought and paid for. Why would they want to stretch out a new glove puppet when they've already got two that fit perfectly?

The Kossak shrieking is starting to get desperate, as it sinks in that their Edwards surrogate chosen candidate is going to get edged out in the popular vote and bitch-slapped by the Cabal for trying to skip the queue.

I think at this point all that remains is to see how and when Kos suddenly rediscovers his passion for Hillary.  It ought to be some love letter.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Sadly, no. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:56:50 AM EST
I never really believe it.  But it's like watching Ep. III for the twenty-third time.  No matter how many times you've watched it, some small part of you always hopes that when Padme shows up on Mustafar to confront Anakin he'll start making out with her instead of force-choking her and leaving her for dead.  But it never happens that way.

I'm not deluded.  My mistake is hope in the impossible.

Your sad devotion to that ancient religion by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #8 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:08:40 AM EST
... uh... democracy... has not helped you conjure up the stolen primaries, or given you clairvoyance enough to find the Cabal's hidden super delega...

No outright majority = a tie.

A tie = a super tie break.

And it's only ever going to break one way.  The best Obama can hope to achieve is to refrain from blubbering when the super vote sinks in, sans lube.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Obama has an outright majority by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:14:32 AM EST
And even if he loses the remaining primary he'll retain that. At least in the popular vote. Which the Democrats care about.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Heheh, that's funny by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:38:48 AM EST
Counting Michigan and Florida, Hillary is leading.  If you want to supervote for Hillary, do you count Michigan and Florida?

Before answering, check how many news outlets have challenged the Clinton-declared PA margin of victory of 10%, versus the 8% that the tedious boring old numbers actually indicate.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Actually both numbers are correct by lm (4.00 / 1) #27 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 10:22:46 AM EST
If you round first, then take the difference, it's 10.

If  you take the difference, then round, it's 9. (The 8 was a bad report. For some reason the Pennsylvania secretary of state put the wrong number up for one county.)

So, at least this time, both candidates can spin it their own way without any falsehoods. The difference is either single digits or double digits depending on when you round. Either way, the arithmetic is honest and, to be fair, doesn't really make any significant difference.

Cicero, The Republic
Hobbies and Message Boards by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 05:57:17 AM EST
Then again hobby message boards can bring a certain amount of insane joy as well.

For instance, one of the home brewing lists I am on is now on day three of a thread that has been discussing the odoriferous and voluminous gas effect that beer, particularly home brew has on certain people on the list.

Some choice comments:  "I am an otherwise perfectly fit and healthy, average weight guy, who is pretty active and has no "real" other health problems except for the gas and peanut-butter-poo!!"

"Well, usually they stop on their own by noonish anyway (after I take a dump)."

" I have tons of gas and a fair amount of sulfurous gas... Sometimes that coincide sometimes they do not!!"

" OK...Heres my 2¢ worth...I like Farting....It is an expression of my well being! yes...I have had several brews tonight. 15...between myself and a couple lady friends...I farted a couple times before I made my own beer...
  Maybe its just the beer? maybe the carbonation? seems like I did that before beer...perhaps pop?...what was that smile all about when I was a baby...um...dudes...thats life. I am single and I like it that way, guess what...I can fart whenever I want to..."

"Yes. I normally can be windy BUT not too the volume and uuhmm.. stench that are caused from from my homebrew.. She used to refer it to the "1 hour before the alarm" fart.. Those would wake us BOTH up from a dead sleep. My son yester day refered to one as the "brick wall""

The brick wall comment particularly made me laugh.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

I haven't noticed any home brew correlation by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #12 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:34:12 AM EST
I have noticed too much Genny Cream can be deadly.

Honestly by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:46:51 AM EST
I haven't either.  Not any more than I get from regular beer.

Apparently some people are particularly sensitive.  Either that or they are over-carbonating.  That can give you some wind too, but generally of the mild variety.

Gedvondur
"If you do not sin, then you too may some day float like a big pink Goodyear blimp of The Lord." -theboz

Farts - the tie that binds. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #16 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 07:01:49 AM EST
One of my favorite threads on a music board I hang out at is "I keep farting - and they're piping hot!"

That thread has been actively on-going for at least six months.  Possibly longer.  And it's all friendly and good natured.

I swear the Democrats are preparing the country by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:42:16 AM EST
for a McCain presidency.

I'm sorry, but Hillary seems to have learned every wrong lesson from the meat grinder of 1990's politics. What's even more depressing is the way she walked away with the Pennsylvania primary. I really thought Obama's sticking to the high road would bring him support from the disillusioned.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

Eh, it's Pennsylvania by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #15 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 06:57:45 AM EST
Very whitebread. Although I was surprised Obama won in Utah, a state that makes PA look like a beacon of multiculturalism.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WHAT'S THAT? SPEAK UP, WHIPPERSNAPPER by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:45:49 AM EST
It looks like Geezers for Clinton swung it.  Maybe if Hussein had offered to open some doors for them, or drive them to their bridge club, he might have done better.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
It's brutal, but probably true. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #23 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 09:07:57 AM EST
All those aging boomers, deep in their heart of hearts, were thinking "woman or black... black or woman... Well, her husband will probably end up running things anyway, so that's okay."

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Hillary is setting up the McCain presidency by theboz (4.00 / 1) #26 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 10:17:43 AM EST
Obama is winning against her now, so she might as well ruin his chances so she gets another shot in four years against President McCain (who will prove to be worse than Bush in many ways.)
- - - - -
Exclusive Toy Nightmares by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 09:54:55 AM EST
Do. not. get. me. started.

I don't know. You give her a good run . . . by Billy Goat (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 10:14:16 AM EST
"Politically motivated selective hearing" department.

First, Obama, not Clinton, dominated airtime in the Pennsylvania primary race. Depending on who you believe, Obama bought three (Slate) to five (The Boston Globe) times more airtime than Clinton did, spending over $2 million to get his message out.

According to the Pew Center polls, Clinton dominates campaign coverage by about 10% percent, but she also receives more negative coverage (36% of Americans think Clinton's media coverage has been mostly negative while only 23% of Americans feel Barack's coverage has been mostly negative).

It should also be pointed out that Pew noticed a split between actual coverage and perceived media coverage. Asked who they actually "hear the most about", Barack beats Clinton by a wide margin: 51% to to 21%. Given that McCain gets a mere 8%, this means that Barack has more visibility than both other candidates, regardless of party, combined.

As for "bordering on saying that smaller population states just shouldn't be considered at all" - only one candidate has said that the primary votes of any state shouldn't be counted at all: Barack thinks Florida and Michigan can go screw themselves.

As for the negative campaign polls, you want us to give Barack a cookie because only half the country thinks he unfairly attacks his opponent? He's only  18% off from his competitor and we're going to hold her responsible for the negative tone of the race? They're both playing dirty pool (his comment about her "lacking the moral authority" to lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, his rehashing of Whitewater charges) and BS-ing the public (his claims that he "doesn't take money from special interest PACs or Washington lobbyists — not one dime" - in clear contradiction of the facts). Let's face it, Barack's being as nasty as you'd like and you just hear Clinton for some reason.

To be fair, you're right about the nationalized health care thing. It doesn't matter that Barack's got no experience launching a complete and comprehensive national health care plan - he's hasn't made any claims he intends to try. His plan openly doesn't cover everybody.

Two things. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #28 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 11:04:42 AM EST
  1. I can't speak to what other people are seeing or hearing.  I can only speak to coverage in my area.  That coverage is Hillary on the air every morning to talk live while Obama gets coverage about once every three weeks to talk live.
  2. You appear to believe I've indicated Obama is a bastion of morality and all good things, when in reality I said he's the one cadidate left that doesn't instantly cause me to dry heave.  I don't see him as the good choice here, I see him as the one that makes my skin only crawl a tiny little bit, as opposed to slough off my body and turn leave me fleshless.

Honestly, I dislike them all pretty thoroughly.  Hillary just hits every nerve I've got with her every word, and is being shoved down my throat far more often than Barrack.  This may not be the case in other parts of the country.

Florida and Michagan by R343L (2.00 / 0) #30 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 08:05:58 PM EST
The Democratic parties in those states screwed themselves. Obama did not campaign in those states and was not even on the ballot in one. Clinton was. Seating delegates from those states after the fact without a fair re-election would be ridiculous

A second primary was proposed. by Billy Goat (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 02:29:14 AM EST
Seating them as is would be out of the question, I agree. And Barack's campaign was publicly fine with the idea of a do-over (his statements to the press on Feb. 8) until his campaign was the last party to the deal to withhold approval.

However, by doing nothing the Democrats begin the campaign with either a candidate that won by virtue of wrangling super-delegates and working the insider machine or a candidate that won by virtue of the exclusion of two states worth of votes, itself a decision made by non-popularly elected party officials and just as much the function of machine operations.

As for not being on the ballot in Michigan, I think that's somewhat of dodge.

Firm in the belief that the Party apparatchiks would exclude the state from the count, Barack's campaign made a costly and concerted effort to get out the vote for "none of the above" and he voluntarily removed his name from the ballot - something he was not required to do as the pledge signed by all the Dems simply said that they wouldn't participate in an election, not that they had to actively stop any state from holding one. Both these moves ensured that 1) he'd have a strong reason to argue for the exclusion of a state he was, by all predictions, going to lose and 2) he could actively participate in campaigning against the other candidates.

According to the terms of the pledge, none of the candidates on the ballot officially campaigned in Michigan, as defined by the rules of DNC, which was how the pledge officially defined campaigning as well.

The situation by ucblockhead (4.00 / 1) #29 Wed Apr 23, 2008 at 02:54:26 PM EST
There are currently 495 state delegates left and 300 superdelegates who have not yet endorsed.  Obama needs just slightly over 300 to win.  Given that a "great victory" in one state or the other yields one candidate only a few more than the other, you can assume that the 495 state delegates are going split roughly down the middle.  This means that by the time the votes are counted, Obama will only need about 80 of those 300 superdelegates.  Given that these superdelegates are ones not willing to commit to Hilary in the first place, it is hard to believe that they'd all suddenly swing to Hillary.

The only other hope is that she'd somehow get her Michigan and Florida delegates seated, but that seems unlikely.

The race is essentially over.  She just doesn't want to admit it.
[ucblockhead is] useless and subhuman

Wait for it . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #32 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 03:00:16 AM EST
. . . and when Hillary somehow pulls it out, we'll accept a diary of dumbfoundedness.

I hate to say it. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Apr 24, 2008 at 03:05:24 AM EST
. . .but the race was over for Bush in 2000 too.  Look how that turned out.

Somebody shut her up. | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback