Print Story Are your legs tired?
By hulver (Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:02:01 AM EST) (all tags)
Inside,

An unexpected visit from government.

I got home last night, and was just putting dinner on when there was a knock at the door.

I was quite suprised (to put it mildly) to find Clive Betts there.

Turns out he was out campaigning on behalf of the labour party in the local elections (1st of May is voting day).

He asked my if I had any local issues he could help with or any questions.

Knowing J would kill me if I didn't, I moaned about the local bus service, how it was stupid that there were only two buses an hour at peak time, and no way to get to the local shopping center without using a car. He sympathised and talked about the up coming act going through parliment that would allow local councils to force bus companies to travel certain routes.

He then asked my if I would be voting Labour?

I laughed and told him that I would not, and when he asked why I told him.

I don't think he was expecting somebody living in an ex-council house, who'd written to him in 2000 before the RIP Act was passed, expressing concerns about the act and the way it would be used. I then raised my concerns that it was now being used by local councils to spy on parents claiming school places.

He then asked if I thought that parents should be allowed to claim school places they weren't entitled to?

I said of course not. But I didn't think that an act of parliment that was written to give the security services powers to spy on suspected terrorists should be used by local councils to spy on ordinary people for non-criminal acts.

He made his excuses and left.

I think I'll write to him again, and ask him if he thinks it's valid that councils are using the RIP Act to spy on people who aren't suspected of any crime, and if he'd be happy for it to happen if a party like the BNP were in power.

< I have a tree | A Day in the Life >
Are your legs tired? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Do it! by ReallyEvilCanine (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:12:56 AM EST
I'll help in any way possible.

the internet: amplifier of stupidity -- discordia

While you're at it by Merekat (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:15:17 AM EST
Ask him if he minds if you, the tax paying public could possibly have access to all this spying tech to use on him to check he is doing his job?

Is fiddling expenses a crime? by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:58:59 AM EST
Sounds to me like someone should be keeping an eye on these Serious, Organised Criminals.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
my legs ARE tired by garlic (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:32:59 AM EST
I ran 2 miles, walked a mile, then ran 2 more last night and they're pretty sore.

Next time by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 11:05:57 AM EST
Don't stop running until you're SURE they can't pick up your trail.

you got to act all casual by garlic (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 01:27:05 PM EST
when you're amongst people. don't want to stand out.

Ha ha nice one! by nebbish (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:35:47 AM EST
And yes, my legs are a bit tired.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Good man. by yicky yacky (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 04:55:33 AM EST

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Your comments were biting by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #7 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 05:03:18 AM EST
But you know what's more biting? A pit bull labrador/boxer mix, on private property.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Well done... by Metatone (4.00 / 1) #8 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 06:17:01 AM EST
I've been meaning to dig out the reply I got from my local MP when I complained about the RIP Act in 2000. I'm pretty sure he foolishly claimed that it wouldn't be used outside of certain cases and I'd like to throw it back in his face.

Yes by hulver (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 06:28:56 AM EST
I mean to carry this on.

I'm actually very impressed that he was going door to door drumming up support. It is a solid labour area, and I'm just pissing in the wind by not voting labour, but I don't care.

I'm going to write to him again, I may even write to some newspapers about it. It deserves highlighting. This government is getting too nosey and authoritarian.

Blah blah blah, I know it's not China and I can sleep in my bed at night after shouting about it without worrying that there'll be boots kicking in my door in the night to take me away. I'd rather it stayed like that as well, which is why I'm getting pissed off now.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

My legs aren't tired by me0w (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 07:58:49 AM EST
But my uterus hurts :(

Silly uterus by hulver (4.00 / 1) #13 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 12:38:26 PM EST
It's not concealing a parasitic organism is it?
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Nope by me0w (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 08:20:17 PM EST
Just a wonderful form of birth control that I like to call my metal warrior. She is always triumphant.

On this subject by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 08:47:52 AM EST
you should read Farthing.
Hows Ha'penny? by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Apr 18, 2008 at 07:56:20 PM EST
A friend lent me both a few months back. I finished Farthing and never got around to Ha'penny, worth reading?

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
havent read it yet by aphrael (2.00 / 0) #17 Sun Apr 20, 2008 at 04:18:36 PM EST
Are your legs tired? | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback