Print Story Brian, Boris and Ken
Politics
By jump the ladder (Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 04:47:28 AM EST) (all tags)
Quite a good quiz on which policies the candidates for London mayor have you most agree with although there's no big ideological differences between them in reality.

Poll: London mayoral vote first preference?

I agreed most with Brian Paddick with 6 then Boris on 3 and Ken on 2. Probably gonna vote Paddick first preference and then Boris as Ken's now too closely aligned with Labour and he's been in office for too long.
< Drop everything. Including that hammer. | Desiring Lord appearing? >
Brian, Boris and Ken | 19 comments (19 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Green by gpig (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 05:06:44 AM EST
I'd be voting for les verts if I was in London.

Second choice Ken, maybe it's growing up in the North that does it, but for all that Ken is a bit of a dodgy character, I trust Boris about as far as I can spit him because he's a Tory. Also I think Ken did a good job on the congestion charge, and I support his introduction of the £0/£25 charge bands to reduce pollution.

(,   ,') -- eep

no big difference by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 05:11:10 AM EST
Yes, they all appear to be crowd-pleasing nitwits with a poor grasp of practicality, based on that quiz. That said, it gave me Lib Dem, Ken then Boris (with only 1)

Thing is by jump the ladder (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 05:17:11 AM EST
You don't have that much power as London Mayor as most of the real power lies with central govt and the 32 boroughs of London. You're not in charge of education for example nor have you the final say on planning.

The main power is with London's transport system and thanks to Gordon Browns fucked up part privitisation on the infrastructure of the tube, you don't even have that much control over the biggest part of that system.

So it's not suprising it attracts those sorts of candidates.

He has some power by dmg (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 01:16:33 PM EST
You can impose taxes for example.

I cannot wait for that one to work it's way through the legal system.  It clearly is a tax, so they will have to jump through quite a few hoops if the US decides not to play ball.

I cannot stomach that racist wanker Ken for many reasons:

His none-too-subtle playing of the race card to pander to the Islamist and Islamist apologists whose votes he depends upon.

His ability to close his eyes to blatant corruption.

His lying about his alcohol problems

etc etc etc

He's an irritating tosser with a horrible whiney voice and needs to be given the boot ASAFP. Even Boris with all his faults would be an improvement.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

Pls explain how the c-charge is a tax [nt] by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 11:54:16 PM EST

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Its self-explanatory by dmg (2.00 / 0) #19 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 02:20:53 PM EST
Tax. noun
1) a sum of money demanded by a government for its support or for specific facilities or services, levied upon incomes, property, sales, etc.

Presumably the service is 'reduction of congestion' although I regularly drive through the taxation zone, and traffic levels seem to be about the same as they were before the tax was introduced.

dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

WIPO by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 06:09:00 AM EST
English Democrat, Boris, then Paddick.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
English Democrats by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 03:51:47 AM EST
Why? The issues they are campaigning on have nothing to do with how London is run.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

And?? by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #16 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 06:35:12 AM EST
Boris will get elected if enough people catch the "hate Labour" bug. I doubt it will be because of his stunning policies for London.

Since I am not a London resident, the question is a little moot.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
Oh yeah by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #17 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 06:38:18 AM EST
Forgot you didn't live here

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Heh by R Mutt (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 06:52:32 AM EST
Boris 6, Ken 4, Paddick 1.

Found there was very little to choose between them though, pretty much clicked at random most of the time.

Will still be voting for Ken though. They all have virtually identical policies (apart from on bendy buses). So I think it makes makes sense to vote based on competence, experience and the crucial bendy bus issue.

Ken first by gazbo (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 07:20:05 AM EST
I think I just sicked up a bit.

I agree with the other comments though - a lot of the choices were somewhat similar to each-other, and others were just impractical soundbites.

WIPO: Disraeli by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 10:15:43 AM EST
Keep that cad Gladstone out at all costs.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
No real difference by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 11:52:37 PM EST
Because the mayor has no real power. This is basically a vote on London's transport policy, so Green 1st Ken 2nd.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Well by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 01:17:43 AM EST
Boris 5, Paddick and Ken on 3.

What about the regional and assembly members?

Lib Dem by jump the ladder (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 01:31:09 AM EST
Personally and it's a form of proportional representation it's not a wasted vote...

Heh by Phage (2.00 / 0) #13 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 01:43:05 AM EST
Ken 3, Boris and Brian 4.

I think also by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 02:26:47 AM EST
What people are factoring in is personality:
  1. Nasal alcoholic whinger with little personal charm.
  2. Flop haired bumbling posh boy
  3. Anodyne nobody
Can you guess who's who?

Yes by anonimouse (4.00 / 1) #18 Thu Apr 17, 2008 at 06:54:26 AM EST
..I could tell you but then I would have to kill you.

1=Ken, 2=Boris, 3=Brian