Print Story And the Great Boat Sank...
By atreides (Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 12:05:24 PM EST) (all tags)

...and the Okies fled
And the Great Emancipator
Took a bullet in the head

In the head...

Took a bullet in the back of the head.

So for those of you who haven't heard, I'm getting married in 3 weeks.  And the planning is going without a hitch!  There's nothing wrong that $2000 won't fix!  Now all we have to do is find $2000!  Joy and Rapture!

I'm sure you could tell this is facetious.  All I know is that I'm never doing this again.

And, I got a call from Welsh Girl today.  One of my groomsmen and his wife are doing something special for our wedding, specifically chocolate making and flower arranging.  This works out nicely because they already do it professionally (alright, they still have their day jobs, but they actually have references and all that good stuff).  Except I have reason to believe that my groomsman forgot to tell his wife that it's a gift. :( Sure, we can pay you, but we haven't budgeted for it.  Especially since the big catering expenditure coming up as soon as I can get Mangia on the phone.  Too bad they don't seem to be answering today!

Grrrr!!!  Why so difficult!?!?!?

It was not December and it was not in May
It was the 14th day of April, that is Ruination Day

That's the day, the day that is Ruination Day...

< MFC XV (XVI? What number are we on?) | Spend,spend,spend. >
And the Great Boat Sank... | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Remember to breathe. by ana (2.00 / 0) #1 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 12:09:51 PM EST
And it'll all unfold as it should, give or take. It's the give or take that provides the memorable stories.

Also, congratulations!

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Every time I hear these marriage stories by wiredog (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 03:18:38 AM EST
I become more and more convinced that clock and Stacky did it right. Catch a flight to Vegas and hit the Elvis Drive-Thru Chapel.

Or, better, the way my friends A and L did it. Catch a flight to Florence (Italy) and hit the Basilica. Tell the family when you get back. Oh, Mom wants a Big Wedding with All The Trimmings? Fine, she can organize, and pay for, it.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

AMEN by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 2) #4 Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 06:10:54 AM EST
having done it both ways, Vegas is the ONLY way to go.  I hated planning that first wedding.  I hated it even more when thigns went wrong.

The fuck? Just levy a tax on the peons. by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #3 Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 05:23:14 AM EST
All creatures will make merry ... under pain of death.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Why do people do this to themselves? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 07:23:43 AM EST
Our wedding took a day to plan, cost a total of about $150 outside of clothes, and consisted of under fifteen people. Why do people try so hard to make a wedding into a torture contest? I'll never understand it.

They do it because of insecurity. by dmg (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Apr 15, 2008 at 12:17:31 PM EST
Do you give a fuck what other people think? If so blow $1000s on a wedding. If you are your own person, do it your way.

There is an evolutionary psychology angle to this which is that a big spend by a male on a wedding could imply a high level of commitment to the relationship, but I think these days its more about a consumerist feeding frenzy.

To be honest, if you feel you have to get married you've probably already lost, unless there are nice tax breaks to be had.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I wouldn't go that far. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #7 Wed Apr 16, 2008 at 02:05:04 AM EST
I do think you've lost if you feel the need to turn it into a big spectacle.  I've known more than a few couples who fell apart while planning a "ONCE IN A LIFETIME" wedding that never could happen because the two moms involved couldn't agree on a caterer.  But as one who has been married for a while now, it's a nice enough feeling on its own so long as you make it about the marriage, and not about the wedding day.

And the Great Boat Sank... | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback