Print Story TGIF
Working life
By georgeha (Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 07:27:04 AM EST) chess, beer, hexity goodness, debt, Aussie films, kull wahid (all tags)
for I am forced to finish my diary. It's also been a very busy week.

Plus Lantana, Dune, sitting, making up for failed local government, stimulating the economy, Years of Rice and Salt, playing to my strengths and less.

Poll: Taxes done?

Sunday we did our bit to get the economy on track, we bought a new mattress. Our old one was 12 years old, it was time for a new one. We ended up buying one made our state, take that cheap Chinese mattress factories!

Despite sleeping it two nights so far, I'm still tired, it's been a busy week. The kids are going with my parents to Disneyworld Monday for Spring Break, so we'll have time to sleep in, I'm even taking a few days off.

Eleven year old's class is giving a class gift to their school, Saturday night was a fund raising babysitting night. I ended up chaperoning with two other adults, which helps us meet our 20 hours/year commitment. It was better than watching TV, and I even played a little chess against a kindergartner. I took it easy on him, I was one move away from my knight forking his king and some other piece, I never had to use that threat.

Speaking of gaming, I'm moving on to the second scenario in the Advanced Squad Leader Starter Kit 1, a Stalingrad scenario. It's not the Guards Counterattack, but it will do.

The Australian film streak continues, last week it was Rabbit Proof Fence, this week Lantana, a film of four couples who lead extremely intertwined lives. Anthony Lapaglia plays the lead, a police detective tormented by an affair he's in (with one of the other 8 main characters) investigating the disappearance of a therapist the dingoes ate her, and it all gets tied back together with each other. Lots of talking, usually in Australian, with a few sex scenes, dancing and some funky looking cars.

I finally got around to reading the hot book of years ago, The Years of Rice and Salt. To recap, the Black Death kills 99% of Europe, leaving China, India and Islam to rule the world (with a dollop of the Iroquois). The story follows some continuously reincarnated characters over the centuries and centuries.

I liked the Hodounusee (Iroquois) scenes, because some of them took place in western New York, but in general this book was a struggle. I like KSRs work best with this usual stock characters in a classic science fiction type mileau, this felt like more of a long tedious ramble.

I also picked up Dune one night (it has a permanent place on my nightstand) and reread it over a few nights while waiting for the girls to get ready for bed. It's still good. On to Dune Messiah. An odd thing about Dune Messiah is that Paul is much younger than me in the book, I used to think he was ancient. Now I'm ancient.

We had some real nice weather at the beginning of the week, so I was able to work outside a lot (despite staying late for a conference call with a midwest customer who may buy six more $product). Our front garden was covered in maple leaves, we raked them there for the city to pick up, but the snow came before the city leaf sucker. Instead, they get bagged up and thrown away. I also did some work on the garage, pushing the snowthrower to the back of the garage and getting my Kawi out (no riding yet, the starter clutch got screwed up in the fall).

No chance to work on my Kawi or get the other bikes ready, it's been busy and social all week, we even had preschool mom and her daughter over on Wednesday.

I bought a 12 pack of Genessee Bock beer, in cans. It tastes too much of adjuncts, but it is stronger than my usual. I need to rack off my honey lager this weekend.

I'm playing to my strengths fiscally, by using an online checkbook for balances, and making spreadsheets to track prices and CC debt. I had tried to do this with paper, but a computer makes it much easier, RSI be damned. It's still too early to draw good conclusions, but we do spend a lot on food.

Speaking of money, it looks like our state return may have arrived, have you done your taxes yet?

< Searching. | Lay yo' hammer down >
TGIF | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
time to mow the lawn by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 08:30:09 AM EST
pick up the poop and get the garden in..

For you maybe by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 08:33:39 AM EST
my seedlings are still small, and there's probably one or two more frosts to come.

taxes were completed by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:16:04 AM EST
the first week in Feb or so.

wow, having a kid returns a bunch of money!

the first tomatoes are showing...we'll be picking them in the next few weeks.

Kids do by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:27:16 AM EST
and 529k contributions can be deducted from our state income.

we have no state income tax by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:08:52 AM EST
and we don't have the cash to put money in a 529 at this point.  clock's mom is putting money into a 529 for the dude on a regular basis.

our current financial plans are as follows:  1a) save $20k for additional down payment on a new house  1b) max out retirement options

and then after that we can worry about the dude's college fund.

honestly, though... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 12:25:38 PM EST
...college savings are sort of a scam.

depends by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 04:04:31 PM EST

not if you by garlic (2.00 / 0) #12 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 09:00:12 PM EST
don't worry about getting it tax free.

little known fact about me by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #11 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 03:19:53 PM EST
I don't like tomatoes, unless they're right off the vine, and then on two slices of bread with a smidgen of mayo.

Fresh is always better

Click

Taxes were done a month or two ago by theboz (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:59:37 AM EST
Fortunately, we live in a state with no state income tax, so it was not too difficult.  The refund was nice.  I got my tax refund direct deposit AND my bonus from work on the same day.  Cha-ching!

As far as the weather goes, I basically finished the work in the yard.  I carried over 1380 pounds of dirt by hand since I don't own a wheel barrel, and have no plans to purchase one.  I also got sunburnt, so I was extremely sore and burnt at the same time.  The burn if very itchy now, so it's almost gone.
- - - - -

I bought one for $10 at a garage sale by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 10:48:28 AM EST
wheelbarrows are pretty handy to have around.

2 years ago by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:10:35 AM EST
i finally broke down and bought a wheel barrel.  holy crap, WHY DID I WAIT SO LONG?!  I don't have room for it in the garage, so it sits outside, on the side of the house.  After 2 years of being outside, it's still in awesome condition.

again, TOTALLY WORTH THE PURCHASE PRICE!

carrying shit is for cavemen by garlic (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 09:01:04 PM EST
who haven't invented the wheel and axle.

TGIF | 13 comments (13 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback