Print Story Searching.
By nightflameblue (Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:15:23 AM EST) (all tags)
Looking for 18 Watt PL type Power Compact Fluorescent lights in 6,700-10,000. Seems they've disappeared off the face of the earth.

Ah well, maybe I'll just replace the fixture.

Loaded to the gills. It's an epidemic. OMG THERE'S WHEATHER HERE! Friday.

Pop calls me at home to say he wants to leave the quarterly equivalency payment somewhere hidden in my desk at work so I can pick it up tomorrow. He tells me what it is. About eleven hundred more dollars than normal. To quote dad, "Yeah, it's down. Waaaaaaaay down. Just like they promised."

"What the hell happened?"

"They're making progress." I could practically hear his eyes rolling.

At least Mrs. NFB is happy about it. I keep getting that minor nagging guilt when getting these checks. I've told dad about it and he says to knock it off and enjoy it because the other side obviously feels no guilt at all.

*SHRUG* Two hundred for spending, well over ten times as much towards our debt load. Closer to zero all the time.

YAY!

BREAK

So, I go to pick up a burger from the crapateria yesterday. The girl in front of me in line gets to the counter and says, "I'd like a grilled cheese."

The man behind the counter, a good-natured sort that really comes across like the type of dude who'd just as soon be serving beer as serving burgers, says, "Well, we're not really serving grilled cheese today. We've got cheese burgers though."

She responds, angrily, "I'M PREGNANT!"

Doing what any sane man would do at that point, he looked away from her and said, "I'll get the grilled cheese cooking."

Once he gets hers cooking he asks what I'd like, and I tell him a cheeseburger sounds good.

"See," he says, obviously having no real experience with the pregnant in his past, "he's not afraid of the cheese burgers."

I could see the warning flash in her eyes as she looked back up at him, away from her cooking grilled cheese. I backed up a step. Somehow, she managed to keep it somewhat restrained. Only yelling, "I'M PREGNANT!" slightly louder than she had before.

"Right," he said nervously, "sorry."

Her husband's life must be a joy right now.

I didn't piece it together until later, but this was one of the ring leaders in the duster huffers club upstairs. Wonder what that does for pregnancy?

Talking with AFKS last night he says about half the women in his night class are pregnant. His brother's cat is pregnant. His other buddy's wife just got pregnant. Smart guy that other buddy. He comes to AFKS at six in the morning at work and says, "she's pregnant."

AFKS says, "congrats," while thinking, WTF? Aren't you broke already?

His buddy responds, "that means we've been fuckin'!"

"Thanks Einstein. I couldn't have pieced that together for myself."

My two step sisters (though I refuse to claim them) are both pregnant. As AFKS said, "it's an epidemic. A female steps outside in this spring air and *BAM* she's pregnant."

What we can't figure out is, none of the human pregnancies we're aware of are people who are really financially prepared for it. Every last one of them is someone who is financially on their last leg, or even more broke than that.

AFKS is awaiting word that his sister-in-law is pregnant, the one that's on the verge of being kicked out of her house. Or worse, his brother's wife - a family that makes his other sister-in-law look like a monetary genius.

Only a matter of time for those two, I'm sure.

BREAK

Our local news programs get all hot and bothered over weather. No, I'm not talking minor hot. I'm talking full-fledged masturbatory celebration.

We had a minor snow in the night. It had mostly stopped by morning. And the ground is warm enough all of it melted anywhere there's a roadway. But what does the local news program do? Stay on the air usurping the national feeds of the morning programs to constantly pump themselves up. The guys in the studio are trying to sell it as the worst springtime storm of all time and people are dying and the weather is killing us all and. . .

They go to their "man in the street" who's standing by the busiest road in town. His demeanor is one of complete indifference. They ask him how it's looking out there and he comes on and says, "It's fine. The snow's all melted and the traffic is flowing like it would in a typical mild rain. There's no sign of a winter storm out here." He was one second away from saying, "and fuck you stupid bastards for sending me out here to get wet when you know damn well there's nothing really happening."

They quickly cut him off and went back to the studio so they could go back to saying how horrible the storm is and that people need to give themselves extra time to get to work and be careful out there because the roads are horrible and blah, blah, blah.

What's even worse than this though? For the next three weeks they'll be advertising how "we were there with 24/7 coverage of the biggest winter storm of '08." It's not a winter storm dumbasses. It was some minor sleet in the night that melted by morning.

There weren't even any idiots in the ditch this morning.

Gah. I hate local news. The only news they report are the national stories and try to tie it into the local scene somehow. But when weather happens it's like they just turn into idiots. No matter how minor that weather is.

BREAK

It's Friday. Almost the weekend. YAY!

No big plans that I'm aware of. May go out with AFKS for a bit Sunday, but aside from that, nothing but house cleaning and standard crap.

Weekend, yippie!

Laterz.

< d'oh! Back on the d20. | TGIF >
Searching. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dear tense pregnant chick by Merekat (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:21:41 AM EST
Cheese carries a risk of listeria which is dangerous during pregancy. But you probably don't want to know that.

I doubt she's that tense. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:29:38 AM EST
My guess is she realized she can brow-beat men by SEEMING to be tense, and so she utilizes that at every opportunity she can. Also, she's huffing during pregnancy, I'm pretty sure she couldn't care less about any health risks to her child.

An epidemic by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:29:01 AM EST
Come to think of it, my friend S is knocked up. But her husband is some sort of investment adviser whose advice over the past year has been "Run from real estate! Into Euros! Now!" so they're in great financial shape.

Still slowly paying down CC debt. Will eventually be in shape to start saving for retirement...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

A correlation between poor financial planning by georgeha (2.00 / 1) #4 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:44:34 AM EST
and poor family planning? Maybe?

To be honest, if we had waited for kids until we were really financially stable, we'd still be waiting while Mrs. Ha's egg go stale. We were okay when we had the oldest, and much less so when we had the second, but time keeps ticking away.

It would have truly sucked to have substituted the experience of financial stability for raising a family.

Well. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 06:48:57 AM EST
there's financial stability and then there's the ability to afford to live. Most of the folks we're talking about are right on the verge of not fitting into the latter.

You're probably right on your original description. I'd reckon it's just poor all-around planning. Or stupid planning, in the case of my Mrs. Dad's daughter. Her plan was to sell the house, get her husband the greatest job ever while preventing him from looking, and getting pregnant to move things along. She got the pregnancy part right anyway. And pretty much sealed her husband's fate by convincing the school who hired him that he wasn't interested in sticking around another year. GOOD PLANNING!

WOOHOO! I FOUND THEM! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 07:54:26 AM EST
All I had to do is give up, and there they were. I've been searching for those things for forever.

And they're on sale. Better stock up. Sales likely mean clearance, which likely means bye-bye.

Um. by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:30:50 AM EST
The cheeseburger is a better choice for the pregnant chick anyway... more protein and fat, both of which she needs. The cheese is good either way. Frying it, not so much, but what the hell.

Then again, if she's one of the duster huffers, who cares what it's going to do to the kid - they're clearly from the shallow end of the gene pool anyway.

I don't remember where it was. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:38:37 AM EST
either here or another site, but recently I read a theory that humans have passed the evolutionary high-point and are in fact breeding backwards. Darwin's theories have broken on the human scale. The intelligent know how to control or at least limit their own desire to breed. The less intelligent just pop 'em out like a pez dispensor. With each generation we become collectively less fit.

Watching the circumstances around me, I can't exactly come up with anything to dispute that theory.

The Marching Morons by Vulch (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 10:13:48 AM EST

A short story by C M Kornbluth is the classic treatment of that theory.

Another interesting theory by notafurry (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 10:30:03 AM EST
It requires a belief in reincarnation, but what the hell, let's not let that get in the way of a fun theory...

So the latest guesstimates are that in all of human history there have been approximately 80 billion human lives. (I have a reference but it's dead tree, and at home... assume it for the moment, willya, you're buying the reincarnation part anyway.) There are over 6 billion alive today.

If you assume reincarnation cycles frequently, then for most of human history, the same people have been living over and over again, new souls being added as population increases. And in recent decades, the increase has been huge, so that at this point, you have far more people on their first lifetime than experienced souls.

And it takes more than one turn at something to get good at it, right?

So the clear result is, most of the people you see everyday are on their first lifetime. It's not that they're inherently stupid; they're just newbies!

But, wait. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:33:45 AM EST
I thought reincarnation involved going through steps. You start out as a . . . I don't know, magfly or something, and then work your way up to human and then the better animals. But human shouldn't be first, I'm sure of that.

no, we still have the desire to breed by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 03:10:45 PM EST
we're just doing everything but the actual reproduction.
---------
It's the pressure of living in War Time Society. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 1) #11 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 10:45:26 AM EST
American families feel pressured to replace the multitude of lives lost in this war.
We (our society) experienced the same kind of "baby boom" right after WW II.

A perfectly normal response.

But. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:35:02 AM EST
I thought the baby-boom came from a combination of boredom and extreme giddyness when the men came home? All those reporters can't be wrong!

And we're replacing far faster than we're killin' 'em off. We'd better get involved in some more conflicts PRONTO!

Better check those stats again. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 01:43:40 PM EST
We're losing the cream of America's youth faster than cream at a cream-disposal facility.

my cousin's pregnant. by garlic (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Apr 14, 2008 at 09:55:09 PM EST
they probably aren't financially ready, but they'll be fine.

Searching. | 16 comments (16 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback