Print Story d'oh! Back on the d20.
Security
By gzt (Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 05:51:49 AM EST) gzt, career suicide, friggin' intense, tactics, chess (all tags)
I did poorly on my chess tactics quiz last night. I took another and did worse. So I took a step back and ran through a large amount of easier problems and did decent. I think I should take a day off today. But it's a travel day. Frig, what am I supposed to do in the car if not play chess? Actually, I'm tired of tactical puzzles, perhaps I should have grabbed Ray Cheng's problem book instead.

Yeah, buddy: definitely set for the cross-town doubleheader on Tuesday. May be miserably cold, though.

I was using a crappy mop the other day and got a blister on my palm. A big one. It popped and sort of hurts now. Frig.

So went out last night with a couple friends and heard about this guy's fiance's adviser at uni. She (the adviser) had just gotten tenure, but her husband didn't and because of political reasons really couldn't keep a job at this $PRESTIGIOUS_SCHOOL. But, he found a job at $OTHER_STATE_SCHOOL. The department at $OTHER_STATE_SCHOOL was all, "We'll try to carve out a position for your wife," and she'll stay in $CITY at $PRESTIGIOUS_SCHOOL until then while he moves out to $OTHER_STATE_SCHOOL. That seemed rational enough to all of us, but $WOMAN was all, "OMG, that is stupid, she's throwing her career away, you can't just give up a tenured position and all," and we were all, whatte the swyve? So, dear reader, what do you say? Is this a completely rational course of action that will work just fine in the end, or is she committing career suicide of the highest order?

The danger, of course, of doing all these chess exercises in isolation is that it's not really a full game and can't substitute. Stupid machine isolation exercises are no substitute for a full squat or Olympic lifts. So I think next week I'll lay off the problems a bit and do a few G60s against the computer. My last G60, I weakened the computer as far as it would go and, while it got a slight advantage over me throughout the game, I managed to find a tactical sequence to force it into an endgame which was probably drawn (not against best play, however, but it afforded better chances than the rest of the position) and then forced the draw. I was reasonably happy.

That and go over entire annotated games instead of chunks.

I think we have like this huge project due soon or something and I'm like the only one working on the big back end type stuff or something. Oh well. I'm just dicking around here.

I should've been rickrolling last night instead of going out and hearing the above story and then rolling d20s. RICKROLL, DON'T D20-ROLL.

< On being different in a small town | Searching. >
d'oh! Back on the d20. | 7 comments (7 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
You say that... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 07:40:39 AM EST
...like it's a bad thing.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Tenure is overrated if she's competent by lm (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 08:59:39 AM EST
Sure, it gives close to the same level of job security as a retired US president, but if one is capable of playing the games that get one tenure one place, I'd expect that one can do the same elsewhere unless it was a rather exceptional situation that led to tenure in the first place.

Cicero, The Republic
Those were my thoughts, too. by gzt (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 09:09:49 AM EST
And if she can get tenure at $PRESTIGIOUS_SCHOOL (though the department isn't prestigious) and $OTHER_STATE_SCHOOL is willing to create a position for her, I think she's going to be all right.

except that by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:03:23 AM EST
with tenure comes more money, and depending on the wealth of the two schools she's giving up job security AND cash, which is like cash to the 1.5 power.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

right, it's not perfect by gzt (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 11:53:45 AM EST
But it's not infuriating career suicide. However much more money it is, one person in a tenured position is not going to be as much as having both of them actually working. And, well, she already got tenure at $PRESITIGIOUS_SCHOOL, shouldn't be too hard to get it at some podunk state school.

and, of course... by gzt (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 12:03:01 PM EST
...often people who have gotten tenure elsewhere are given tenure as part of a job offer, so, well, you know, lacking complete information, it may be safe to assume it.

don't be too sure on the latter point by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 03:31:18 PM EST
I've got many anectdotal experiences to the contrary.  Podunk state schools often deny tenure because it costs them too much.

Nevertheless, I tend to agree with you.

----