Print Story Why hello there.
By hulver (Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 06:54:06 AM EST) WFC, PFC, SWFC, minty fresh vagina (all tags)
Inside.

SWFC
PFC
WFC

Other stuff

SWFC

I've done an entry for this, and I'll be posting my monotonous blatther later on after I've tweeked it a bit to remove the bits where I had to re-read sentences that I fucked up.

PFC

I've also got a picture to post in the PFC, although I've got to find the cable to get it off my camera and onto my computer.

WFC

I was going to write an entry for it, but I got a bit put off by some of the comments in the initial diary and couldn't be bothered in the end. I didn't even end up voting. I read about half the entries, didn't get around to reading the rest and then the voting was over.

Bike

So, I screwed my bike up a while ago. I took it out in the rain, it got very muddy and I just put it away again without cleaning it off. Then I got it out of the shed again and it was fucked. The chain was rusty, the front derailleur was seazed up. There was also a distressing bulge in the front tyre.

I gave it a good clean and lube. The chain is OK now I've given it a scrub, the front derailleur is almost back working properly, although it's got a bit of stickage still. I had to get a new tyre for the front and that's OK now. Unfortunately I lost a small strip of rubber from my rear mud guard so it doesn't fit around my seat post anymore :(
I was sure I had lots of little strips of rubber around, but I can't find any now.

I've only gone and bought some proper cycling clothes as well. That was no easy task for a fat bastard like me. I've got a top, and it's great. Much better than the t-shirts I'm used to wearing.

Next: Cycling shorts.

Scoop

It really does perform very poorly. I'm fairly sure that if some effort was made to correctly optimize the code it would work a lot better on smaller hardware.

For example. There is a similar bit of code at work that built up a data tree in much the same manner as the scoop comment code. I reduced run time from several minutes to several seconds by changing the way data was fetched and processed. Of course there was a trade off between speed and memory size, but I doubt it was that large. Modern computers & languages work very well with allocating huge chunks of memory at a time, and quite poorly with multiple allocations of lots of small bits of memory. The change I did at work was to read every "comment" into memory at once using a single database call, then sort the tree out in another pass through memory. The original code did many recursive calls into the database, just like scoop, and it was very slow.

Part of the problem with changing scoop is there is a lot of code there that I'm not sure what it does but must be there for a reason so I don't want to change it.

I do wonder if it would be better in the long run to just do the changes without bothering about being backward compatible with other installations. It's not like a lot of code makes it back into the main code base anymore anyway.

Mental state

Not bad, not good. Just sort of ticking along.

Other stuff

Got one more person at work, who's got off to a good start. Seems to be picking up the job quickly, which is always a bonus.

< Just one time in your life. . . | so far, so good >
Why hello there. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Old tube by marvin (2.00 / 0) #1 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 06:58:33 AM EST
An old bicycle tube plus a pair of scissors should give you several years worth of rubber strips.

D'oh. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:02:09 AM EST
I'm an idiot. I had to chuck one away the other day as well because it was no longer repairable (hole too close to the valve)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Scoop by R Mutt (2.00 / 0) #2 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:00:04 AM EST
I wonder if the right-hand sidebar is a bottleneck.

Often when I load a page I get the main screen quite quickly, but it takes another 20-30 seconds for the sidebar to load. Not sure if it's doing hundreds of sequential database calls or something.

Yes by hulver (4.00 / 1) #4 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:08:36 AM EST
Quite possibly.

Some of the boxes are pretty intensive. If you've got an enourmous hotlist that can slow it down a bit (but not that much). Much of it is cached as well, but all the caching code was custom written just for that box. There is no common code for caching something.

Example. If a box wants to know the title of a story, it will often make a database call to get the  story title. Often another box will want to know the same thing, so it will do the same. Sometimes the same box will make 3 databases calls for the same story, to get three different bits of information.

A lack of standard routines to get that stuff is the cause really. It needs some global routines to fetch and cache story and comment stuff. Even just caching it for that page view would save a lot of redundent database calls.

There is also a bug in the story update code which people who have "edit my own story" can exploit to edit any story on the site. It's very difficult to fix because of the spagetti code of the story update section. It's very messy in places. That's why only cabal members can edit their own stories right now, because most of them can be trusted to not fuck the site up.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

"most of them" by R343L (2.00 / 0) #6 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:17:36 AM EST
I like how you qualify that. I do indeed.

And thanks for doing a SWFC -- I'm not sure this one will take off and, in any case, it was just a lark from channel....

I love listening to people by hulver (2.00 / 0) #11 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 10:36:49 AM EST
I think it's a great idea. Putting a real voice to the internal voice of people is fantastic.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
I remember an old dKos discussion about that by gzt (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:14:59 AM EST
They were essentially saying, yes, it is, and with the amount of traffic they got, it got really bad.

I still think... by ana (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:34:11 AM EST
we should have a "late fun challenge entry fun challenge". I still have an idea kicking around for a Tom Waits cover, for example.

And I wonder what the optimal voting time is? Perhaps the after-comments will inspire some readers to go back and look at some of the entries they didn't read, or skimmed.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

How long does it take to write a WFC entry? by hulver (2.00 / 0) #9 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 10:15:46 AM EST
Most people put it off till the last minute anyway. I think reducing the time to make it tighter, so the writing and voting and results are closer together might help.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Yeah. by ana (2.00 / 0) #10 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 10:28:22 AM EST
The time allowed for writing is more or less independent of the time allowed for reading and voting. Most people, as you say, dash something off just shy of the deadline (though this time I spent my Sunday afternoon writing hour working on it, 3 weeks running, before pasting it all together the day before the deadline).

But for people like you (*cough*) who like to graze on the stories, read one every day or two for a week or two, maybe allowing a longer period for that process would work better.

Also, +1 tags :-)

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

The bane of the code I deal with by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:49:47 AM EST
fits that nicely

Replacing Scoop? by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 11:18:03 AM EST
I realize this would be a ginormous task, but have you considered migrating to something else?

Some pretty big sites seem to be using it.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.

I think I see the problem with your bike by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 12:05:36 PM EST
You appear to have gears on it, and quite possibly a freewheel.

Vive le Montréal libre.
(Comment Deleted) by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 12:05:36 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by Driusan

Why, yes I do by hulver (2.00 / 0) #15 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 12:21:42 PM EST
And I'm considering adding more gears to it. The gradient of the hills around here, you need gears.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Maybe you should paint it pink by Driusan (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 12:31:04 PM EST
And add streamers.

Vive le Montréal libre.
More steamers? by hulver (4.00 / 2) #17 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 12:45:35 PM EST
That might be a bit excessive.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Not streamers, by ad hoc (4.00 / 3) #18 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 02:03:04 PM EST
Uh by kwsNI (4.00 / 1) #19 Thu Apr 10, 2008 at 07:13:22 PM EST

Most of us dump the rubbers when we get married

Suggestion by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 12:35:59 AM EST
Have a hulver test directory with a scoop installation with your mods so you can see if it works.

If you're only changing the read database aspects as opposed to the database writes then you're test environment should be safe.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
I have a local installation on my home machine. by hulver (2.00 / 0) #21 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 12:49:53 AM EST
I don't do all my development on the live system ;)
Cheese is not a hat. - clock
Coward ;) by TPD (2.00 / 0) #22 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 01:23:25 AM EST
though it may appear that there is text here, I think you will actually find when you exmaine it closer, that there is actually No Text here.

why sit, when you can sit and swivel with The Ab-SwivellerTM
Yes by anonimouse (2.00 / 0) #24 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 02:36:02 AM EST
...but I try to avoid testing or trying out anything I have worked on myself. Only an idiot other users find the flaws in code you have written.

Girls come and go but a mortgage is for 25 years -- JtL
You're meant to change your chain by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #23 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 02:20:54 AM EST
Fairly regularly. They're cheap.

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Yes by hulver (2.00 / 0) #25 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 03:42:27 AM EST
But you're also supposed to change your whole chain set when you change the chain, because of the wear patterns.

I might get a new chain anyway. Good point.

I've been thinking about getting a new 3 ring for the front, rather than the two I've got at the moment.

Or I might risk the wrath of J and get a whole other bike, something that can take panniers.
Cheese is not a hat. - clock

Whole chain set by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #26 Fri Apr 11, 2008 at 04:08:35 AM EST
That makes sense, but ouch!

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Why hello there. | 26 comments (26 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback