Print Story It's a rough day at work when your most reasonable customer is Japanese
Family
By georgeha (Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 04:33:08 AM EST) SOTA, song charts (all tags)
It's a rough day when you get into a conference call with your wife and her therapist.

Plus, and now the waiting, the latest internet meme, Viking ships at sunrise, an Unmarried woman, Red Moon Rising, FPC, the Martians and less.

Poll: Will I get Black Snake Moan?

First thing you learn is that you always have to wait. Eleven year old auditioned for the good city middle school, in the major of theatre tech on Saturday morning, and did very well. She was the only girl to show up, the auditioner was impressed she knew what a mitre box was and what wet on wet meant in watercolor painting, and she was the first one done with the math test. Things look positive, though we won't know until the end of April if she gets in. She did seem excited about going there, even though it's her second choice.

Speaking of eleven year old, her new favorite computer activity is a FPC, First Person Clawer, some RPG based on Warrior Cats.

There's a new internet meme out there, lolcats are so 2007. I'm sure most you are saying LOLWHAT, O RLY, but the new trend is song charts. Like the one below.

The taxes are done, again I'm getting money back that I had not intended too, adjusting my withholding is not easy. I did cut my refund nearly in half, I just need more tweaking on the state side. We may go on a vacation to Maine this summer with some of the refund money (paying down debt is unAmerican). Anyone know any good beaches in Maine or New Hampshire? I was impressed by York Beach when we visited it on our honeymoon, years ago.

Since the taxes are done, I can complete the financial aid forms for the Catholic school, and see what they can give us. School may not be settled until May.

We watched An Unmarried Woman last weekend. It's nearly a parody of a 70's movie, with all the ugly polyester fashions and sensitive man and relationship stuff, set to an orchestral Bacharachesque soundtrack (except then the saxophone wails). It drags on, too. Recommended if you love New York City, urban relationship angst and singles bars, body hair, or Jill Clayburgh. Or if you like this song.

In book news, I just finished Red Moon Rising, the story of Sputnik and how it influenced America's first satellite and Dwight Eisenhower's last years as President. It's similar in tone to last year's read, Space Race, with the usual suspects, Korolev, Kruschev, Von Braun.

We also finished Viking ships at Sunrise, where Jack and Annie use the Magic Treehouse to visit ancient Ireland and see a monestary, and Vikings. In an odd bit of synchronicity, porsche-boy has been bringing a treehouse book to read in the morning.

I  also just finished KSR's The Martians, a thick book chock full of stories, poems and essays to dry, boring or not plot driven enough for his thick Mars trilogy. Recommended if you like reading about climbing cliffs on Mars, or constitutions.

I've been trying to get a copy of Black Snake Moan. The local library branch has it, it should be back in today. I may also get the Buffy with Once More With Feeling, and eleven year old wants to read a Warrior Cats book. Will I get it?

< 3:14AM | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's a rough day at work when your most reasonable customer is Japanese | 23 comments (23 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Beaches by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 04:40:37 AM EST
Maine has "pretty" beaches, but other than resorty/boardwalk type places like Old Orchard Beach, they aren't your typical beach.. Rizzo et al Maniacs can correct me. When we'd vacation on a lake in Maine, we'd always go to the sea for a day, and it was fun to climb on the rocks/cliffs etc. Water was rarely above 60F in August.

But I wouldn't compare the beaches of Maine to, say, costal South East US in terms of nice sand, warm water etc.

There's a neat beach in NH, on Rte 1 that my brother-in-law grew up going to, but damned if I can remember the name. Visited it once, lovely boardwalk, long expanses of combed and replenished sandy beach. Google maps doesn't name names that jog my memory.

I recall York being real cold by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 04:57:00 AM EST
not as numblingly cold as Nova Scotia, but still pretty cold. I'm thinking of a place that also has a pool.

Lake Winnipesaukee by miker2 (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 05:08:31 AM EST
Great place and the water is warm in August.  Just avoid TimberMan Triathlon weekend, which is Aug 15-17th this year unless you like paying double for a hotel room.

Ah, sociopathy. How warm, how comforting, thy sweet embrace. - MNS
and it's friggen huge by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 05:12:53 AM EST
so you have lots of options. Meredith is pretty and somewhat central.

Or Little Squam Lake by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 05:38:18 AM EST
Beaches by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 05:26:00 AM EST
It sort of depends on what you're after.

If you want the boardwalky, carnival type places, then Old Orchard Beach or York Beach is the place to go. If you want quaint New England charm with spendy shopping, then Ogunquit is your place. If you want back to nature, Acadia National Park (Bar Harbor) is one of the most beautiful places on earth. The water never warms up, though. There is one beach in Acadia that gets kind of warm because it's pretty shallow (it's getting into the area with massive tides).

New Hampshire only has 22 miles of coastline, so you can get pretty much anywhere. Hampton Beach has a state park, but it's just parking and a beach (with facilities included a very cold cold shower). There's a boardwalk, nightclub, and carni type stuff there, too, in city center.

Also consider Massachusetts. The North Shore (Salem, Rockport, Gloucester, Newburyport, Marblehead) and Essex County is really nice with lots of stuff to do (for kids too), and it's in the same general area.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

I'm trying to do it cheap by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 06:13:41 AM EST
like sleeping four for $1000 a week or less. I figured Mass was out of our price range, for anything possessing a certificate of occupancy.

Oooh by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:20:56 AM EST
You should be able to do close to that most anywhere, Mass included. Well, except for maybe Ogunquit. One of the biggest places in Hampton is The Surf and their rates are typical. Boardwalk is another one. But, really, there are hundreds of them.

Salem, MA isn't very expensive. It's more urban, with lots of Motel 6 type things, but there's tonnes of stuff to do there, both in the water and out.

If you're into camping, I'd say Acadia. It really is breathtakingly beautiful.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.

if you already have the gear by garlic (2.00 / 0) #22 Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 11:13:15 AM EST
camping is that cheap.

I don't know if I'm up for that challenge by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #23 Mon Mar 10, 2008 at 11:17:26 AM EST
maybe the wife and kids would do their fair share, maybe not.

song charts by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 06:18:34 AM EST
that was worth briefly turning on images.

You can trust the GeorgeHa diary to avoid NSFW by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #9 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 06:25:32 AM EST
images, always turn images on.

YIKES! by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 06:59:00 AM EST

I sense pain and suffering. I'm scared for you.

Thanks, we're not at involuntary commitment by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:02:51 AM EST
maybe just a med change.

Med changes. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:18:28 AM EST
I'm no less scared. Having watched my mother go through periods of suicidal rage and periods of fall on the floor and curl up in a little ball because of med changes, that actually seems even scarier.

We're geting close to curl up zone by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:21:24 AM EST
so something needs to be done.

Meds is dangerous. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:27:05 AM EST
It's tough to find a balance without spiraling into ever widening swings of weirdness.

The Musical episode... by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 07:56:14 AM EST
is great, but probably best enjoyed if you've followed the story up to that point.

It's a bit of a weird series to get into because the first season or so is pretty cheap and campy; the quality of the show just grows from then on.

That might explain why the library's collection by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 08:13:36 AM EST
started with season 3. Is that a good starting point?

I'd go with season 2 by spacejack (2.00 / 0) #18 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 08:50:43 AM EST
Even though the first half of the season is still kinda cheap & campy, overall it's my favourite season arc.

Season 3 picks up after a cliffhanger of sorts, but it's not quite as convoluted as the series gets later on. I think it's generally considered the best season, so if you were going to watch just one season, this would be a good choice.

too dry for the Martian trilogy? eeeek! -nt- by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #19 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 01:42:29 PM EST

go on vacation by dev trash (2.00 / 0) #20 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 02:36:18 PM EST
use the Stimulus money to pay down debt.

Click
Those charts are awesome by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #21 Sat Mar 08, 2008 at 03:33:39 AM EST
Martians was pretty cool as well, KSR is my sort of nerd. The baseball short story is one of the most wonderful SF shorts I've ever read.

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo