Print Story on vacations and stuff
By clock (Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 09:25:45 AM EST) (all tags)
it's been a while.

a lot has happened since my last diary.  where to begin?  i got "promoted" into management.  so far the only difference is an office and the bump in pay.  no complaints yet.  it's just a job.  but the window is nice.

our little dude is awesome.  he's growing like a weed.  when we are around other babies it comes back to me that he's a big guy.  he sits up nicely and is so close to crawling it's not even funny.  he laughs a lot.  that's my favorite part.  i could listen to that little giggle all day long.  he's the best.

before we took off for my homeland on vacation, i finally started building a guitar.  that project was sidetracked about a year and a half ago by the above.  there's a lot of work that goes into making a baby and it doesn't leave a lot of room for non-critical projects.  the point is that i'm having a good time with it.  i'll post some photos soon.  it's a simple OM style steel string.  so far, so good.

last week we headed off to the frozen northlands.  we spent 7 days in the state of my birth.  that's more time that i've spent there since about '96 or so.  let's just say that my mom loves my wife.  my more extended family got to meet the dude.  that included my great aunt (his first great-great relative!) and my grandmother.  i swear that boy didn't touch the ground for a week.  he also got to sleep between mommy and daddy, a personal favorite of his.  every day at 7 a.m. he'd start swatting his mom.  when she opened her eyes, he'd smile and giggle.  without delay he'd roll over and apply the same treatment to me.  once we were both awake he would kick and laugh and then i'd get up and throw him to the first old lady i could find.  that bought us an extra hour of sleep most days.  nice.  very nice.

while in the northern lands we experienced 12+ inches of snow and then 60F temperatures in the same week.  home sweet home.  if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes.  we also took a night to go drink coffee and then down a bottle of wine at my brother's new house with my cousin, his fiancee and a childhood friend.  lots of talking and laughing.  plenty of jokes at my expense.  a great time.

we also spent some time with one of my oldest friends and his new baby.  the dude was quite intrigued by the wee one.  they didn't do the baby talk thing, but i think that the dude asserted his dominance by demonstrating his superior coordination and verbal skills (volume).  it was great to see my bud and his new kid.  it was a stealth baby (they lost their first late in the term but had a success story with their oldest boy so they aren't big on talking about those things before they hatch and all that).  i wish i'd met the older one, but he was asleep at his grandparents' place around the corner and couldn't be arsed to play.  smart kid.

i did visit my uncle's grave.  i hadn't seen the headstone.  it suddenly felt like forever since i'd been home.  i only stayed a couple of minutes, stacky and the baby were in the car.  the pain was fresh.  i forget...well, that's not the right word...i'm less focused on that loss most of the time.  putting it front and center again was difficult.  despite the fact that i'd been in my brother's house (formerly my uncle's place) and had seen some of his things around my mom's i somehow didn't make that connection.  when i did, i wished i hadn't.  i miss that old buzzard.

and that brings us back home to the republic.  i came back to work on wednesday.  it was a good choice.  3 days to clean up any messes and a short week to ease back into things.  but it's strange.  i feel a bit sad.  i miss my family and friends from "home."  i'm already dreading summer.  i want to get some of my project work done.  i'd like to spend some time on this and that but i'm discovering that there are fewer hours in the day than i had once believed.  so it goes.  i'm excited to note that an apogee duet sound interface should be on my doorstep tonight.  i can't wait to fire that up and take it around the block.  go bonus money!  but my overall mood is grey today.  i'm writing it off to vacation hangover.

maybe i'll get back to the more than quarterly diary sometime soon.

< They make them in purple? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
on vacations and stuff | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Vacations rule. by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #1 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 09:40:23 AM EST
Coming back to work does not.

I saw something new the other day and it instantly made me think of you. Isn't this the sweetest thing you've ever imagined? For those of us who don't get to travel to the people we'd like to travel to every few weeks, I think it's pretty darned sweet. Though I'd guess we'd probably have to use our work pipes to make it work over any distance.

I sense an opportunity brewing there, for some reason.

Bounce in from time to time. This place could do with more of your usual happy-happy.

i read a lot... by clock (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:44:29 AM EST
...i just don't post often enough.

the plugin looks cute.  i've seen other attempts.  they weren't so cool.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

That's my fear here. by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 11:27:33 AM EST
The basic premise is sound. But there's so many ways to hose it up.

And it'll still boil down to how much bandwidth you've got to throw at it. Meh. Maybe I got excited for no reason.

Can't wait to see the guitar. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 09:43:26 AM EST

me neither! [nt] by clock (4.00 / 1) #11 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:47:16 AM EST

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

a lot of work that goes into making a baby by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #3 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 09:45:20 AM EST
Yeah, but your part is done after only a few minutes of relatively unskilled labor.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA... by clock (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:35:51 AM EST
...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Please post pictures of the little Dude! by me0w (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:10:31 AM EST
And the guitar, but mostly the little Dude.

soon! by clock (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:52:32 AM EST
i need to webify some of them...it's overdue.  like a lot of things right now.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

"...an office and the bump in pay." by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:27:25 AM EST
WTF else do you want? More responsibilities? More meetings?

i had those. by clock (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:45:25 AM EST
the other items are playing catch up.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

Yeah! Where's my guitar? by atreides (4.00 / 1) #6 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:27:54 AM EST
How am I gonna be motivated to learn if I don't have one?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

first... by clock (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 10:42:32 AM EST
...i must attempt to master the craft so that i can give away the "test runs" to friends.

i'll put you on the list.

I agree with clock entirely --Kellnerin

*COUGH* by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #14 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 11:28:33 AM EST
I happen to know a guitarist who would never turn down the opportunity to own another guitar.

:( I was already on the list... :( by atreides (4.00 / 1) #15 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 11:47:02 AM EST
shh by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #16 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 02:38:42 PM EST
if you get two, you'll have one to give me.
---------
If I get 2... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #17 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 02:58:58 PM EST
...you'll get the one of your choice, no less...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

on vacations and stuff | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback