Print Story In Memory Of Superdiva...
By atreides (Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 04:25:35 AM EST) (all tags)
...this neegro voted.

Yesterday morning, I was the first person to vote at my precinct.  After 20-30 minutes of technological delays, I actually cast a ballot.  When I left the building, the 30-40 other people in line on that cold, cold morning burst into applause after seeing the first voter.  As someone who does not crave fame, I found the entire experience surreal.

Last night, I returned to caucus along with about 400 of my closes strangers. Sure, we we all standing around for at least an hour or more, but once the lines got going, they went pretty quickly.  Most people left after signing, but I decided to stay and catch the rest of democracy in action.  There was a little confusion because nobody was prepared for the turnout, but they played it by ear well enough.  Nobody was deeply inconvenienced.

The Caucus count was done and Obama got 40 out of 57 delegates from the precinct.  And since I was willing to be a delegate, I was appointed a delegate to the county convention.  Wheeeee.

On March 29, I will be at the county convention watching more democracy in action.

< You rang? | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
In Memory Of Superdiva... | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
After County comes State and then by wiredog (4.00 / 4) #1 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 04:59:00 AM EST
Atreides in a funny hat, drunk, on National TV! Woo Hoo!

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

An hour for 400 people? by blixco (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 05:05:01 AM EST
Lucky.

Ours was four hours before I tapped out, and from what I understand it was six hours total.
---------------------------------
"You bring the weasel, I'll bring the whiskey." - kellnerin

Actually, it went pretty fast. by atreides (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 06:43:43 AM EST
I was there at 7:00 and left around 10:45-ish.  And Welsh Girl's precinct was done long before that.

You got screwed, dude...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

I didn't know by ad hoc (4.00 / 4) #3 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 05:14:57 AM EST
satraps could be delegates.
The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
SD is still around by Phage (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 05:22:00 AM EST
I've seen stuff on the wires....man...<rolls eyes>

Don't leave us guessing by Rogerborg (4.00 / 3) #6 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 08:37:24 AM EST
McCain or Huckabee?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
In my precinct... by atreides (4.00 / 3) #8 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:28:16 AM EST
Where do you live? by 606 (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 08:11:34 PM EST
The secret rational America they don't tell us about?

-----
imagine dancing banana here
Hardly... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #13 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 08:20:52 PM EST
Austin, capital of Texas, seat of Travis County, a liberal island in a conservative sea...

God Bless Austin.

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

is it really by StackyMcRacky (4.00 / 3) #7 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 09:59:18 AM EST
"democracy in action", or more along the lines of what we've perverted democracy into?

Well, here's the problem. by atreides (4.00 / 4) #9 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:44:55 AM EST
Democracy, in its truest sense, doesn't work.  It didn't work for the Athenians and it barely works for us.  As Churchill said, "the best argument against democracy is 5 minutes talking with the common man."  Therefore, democracy has to be perverted a little to protect a system from the common man (and by that I mean "morons").  Problem is that the people who compose the system are morons, too, who suffer from the same problems as the so called common man.  The difference is those people have the ability to make things happen for good or ill and can usually placate the common man while knifing him in the back at the same time.

THAT is what I mean by "democracy in action"...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

The elite have always known this by dmg (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 03:25:42 PM EST
 "democracy" is nothing more than a means of keeping the lower orders occupied and pacified while the real business of ruling the planet is left to those born to do the job.

Who could disagree that: "the natural social order of Humankind is Feudalism rather than Democracy as "Incompetent self-seeking, middle-class idiots more often find themselves voted into control of vast social systems"."

Those reptilians sure hate the middle class.
dmg - HuSi's most dimwitted overprivileged user.

I prefer the Aristotelian view... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #11 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 08:02:08 PM EST
I believe Aristotle believed that you need a king, an aristocracy and the demos all together.  The power of the king checks the people, the aristocracy checks the king and the aristocracy must fear uprisings on their lands by the people.  That's how you get your balance of positive and negative furies...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

What would happen if by wumpus (2.00 / 0) #14 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 03:48:23 AM EST
the common man spent four minutes talking with Churchill's crowd?

Wumpus

I knew it. I knew you were a genius. [nt] by vorheesleatherface (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 07, 2008 at 05:57:23 AM EST

In Memory Of Superdiva... | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback