Print Story Hip Check, No Penalty
Religion & Philosophy
By slozo (Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:05:55 AM EST) (all tags)
Looking back on the last couple of weeks, I remember clicking on 'new diary' at least three or four times . . . maybe five. And yet, strangely, no diary was writ.

Well, it's all gonna change now.

Ramblings on family matters mostly.

My mom has been in the hospital since prety much early December, and just got released from extended care last weekend. Nothing too serious, it was at first; just a routine hip operation, replacing the ball of bone in the hip's ball/socket joint. Arthritis/fibromyalgia thing and such. But like I said, it should've been pretty routine, as my mom is only 65ish and although overweight, was in good shape for recovery. Or so the doctors said.

She had the operation, everything seemed ok, she came home a few days later after enough recovery. Something like a week later, she had to go into the hospital again, after the wound/incision kept leaking and looked to be infected. They discovered that she had indeed developed an infection . . . a deep one, right to the bone. Doctor said it was a 1% chance or something like that, what can you do? So they had another operation, this one to take out the replacement hip, they flushed out the whole area really well, and they put in a temporary hip with all kinds of bad-bacteria fighting soldiers in there. She had a rougher time of it after that, but still tried to keep her spirits up, eventualy spending most of the next month and a half in an extended care recovery centre.

They did a check last Friday, and determined that the infection was gone - so she was released, until the scheduled surgery for early next week, I believe. For the second replacement hip, third hip if your counting the bacteria fighting hip, and fourth if you count all hips including the one she was born with.

She was in remarkably relieved spirits, when surrounded by family last weekend and we all toasted her being back home.

Hopefully, next hip is a keeper.

. . . . .

I am loving the wife.
She has really helped in the finances department, where she keeps track of all the numbers. I mean, I'm great with faces; names, not so much, but I get by; but numbers I lack a memory of. She always remembers what bill was paid when, how much this cost, what I spent on that, etc, and frankly it baffles me. Having been an old skool bachelor for so long, it has taken me a while to appreciate her needling me to stay on top of what I spend, but . . . really, she's just looking out for us. We are starting to settle into a good, responsible budget, without it being to constraining financially. And we eat delicious home-cooked meals every day, not one meal comes from a can or frozen package . . . unless you're talking about the whole frozen salmon in the freezer.

And this brings me to my point, I think; that I have come to the realisation (well, revisited realisation, but anyways) that eating healthy (for me), naturally leads to saving money. It's pretty awesome, actualy. For instance - even the rabbit that we both made for the first time a couple of weeks ago and have made twice since . . . it took time to find a store that carried it, but I found it in the expensive grocery store that is actually the closest to us. Heck, I hadn't had rabbit in years, and the wife said she knew how to make it in a stew, so I was game to try. I cringed when I saw it was twenty dollars, but YJ assured me it was a pretty good price surprisingly, and we made a big stew. That stew translated into about 5 lunches for me, about 3 lunches for her, and about 5 dinners for me and her. Even adding in the cost of carrots, onions, garlic, soy sauce - it's not very much per meal at all. And it is the most damned delicious thing ever on a cold day, my friends.

Yeah, we go to a butcher for more expensive, cleaner meats, and it ends up about twice the price of regular ground beef and pork. But that extra cost is all made up and more by the homemade cooking. And it's a lifestyle thing . . . we often find ourselves both in the kitchen cooking together . . . I'll be sipping on red wine, chopping garlic, while she's chatting about her day and washing veggies. It's not a chore for me at all. I know what some of you are thinking - wait 'till you have kids. Well, we'll just have to see about that . . . until then, I am quite content, and feeling great.

. . . . .

I had a third thing, something that would have tied in with a third hockey reference of 'offside' . . . or perhaps it was 'face-off'. Either way, can't remember, so that's all.

Vote in the POLL, stationed on the RIGHT.

< Break Like The Wind | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Hip Check, No Penalty | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
But they just live free, hopping around by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:09:38 AM EST
can't you catch the rabbits and eat them?

rabbit fever by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #6 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:17:47 AM EST
most folks don't eat wild rabbit any more for that reason. (Tularemia seems the scientific name from wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tularemia )

I've eaten wild rabbit. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #29 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 03:16:36 AM EST
And I've known quite a few people who've hunted rabbit. You just have to be careful handling the carcass.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

That's a ridiculous reason . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #30 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 03:33:13 AM EST
. . . for not eating wild rabbit. So there was one reported death in 2000 from Martha's Vineyard identifying Tularemia as the culprit, due to . . . lawnmowing?!? Wiki's "documented outbreaks" heading is a joke . . . besides not mentioning the word rabbit even once.

Wild rabbit, although hard to obtain unless hunting yourself, is a perfectly safe food.

crazy reason yes by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #32 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 04:14:50 AM EST
but most folks in/around my area don't hunt rabbit any more for that reason.. Granted, most of 'em are also 70 years old, since there's few young folks that hunt. And the reason they give is rabbit fever..

I've plinked a few and ate them, but very sinewy and tough, so I quit eating 'em. Granted, I probably cooked them wrong too..

It sounds simple, but the key . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #33 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 04:31:22 AM EST
. . . really is boiling it for a long time in the stew at a reasonably high temperature. Even though the domesticated rabbit I ate would invariably be less tough than the wild version, you should still be able to reach the ideal 'fall off the bone' tenderness.

addendum: the Martha's Vineyard case . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #31 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 03:46:12 AM EST
. . . disease was spread by lawnmowing, probable source was skunk or raccoon:

"Information from studies conducted on Martha's Vineyard suggest that F tularensis can persist in the environment and that persons can acquire infection by engaging in activities that lead to aerosolization (such as lawn mowing, weed-whacking, and using a power blower) (see References: Feldman 2001, Feldman 2003). A recent analysis of sera from a variety of mammals on Martha’s Vineyard found that skunks and raccoons were frequently seroreactive (49% of skunks tested and 52% of raccoons), whereas white-footed mice, cottontail rabbits, deer, rats, and dogs were much more likely to be seronegative (see References: Berrada 2006). "

Healthy Money by duxup (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:09:48 AM EST
Heck just not eating out as much is both healthier and saves money.  The wife and I have been limiting such activity to once a week and that's nice on the tummy and the bank account.
____
It really does boil down to that mostly . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #3 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:16:23 AM EST
. . . and for us, we almost never eat out. A dinner out with friends very occasionally, or maybe a night out at a fancy restaurant for valentine's . . . last half year, that has worked out to once a month.

icing. always icing by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #4 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:16:30 AM EST
was checking, as in finances, the second ref ?

ho -lee - shit. It *was* icing . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #7 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:19:36 AM EST
. . . and my third thing was about my battle to stay off ice cream and chips and sweets, and about my new love affair with healthier dips like baba ganouj and flavoured hummus. Great guess!

Wife. by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:16:45 AM EST
Having a good one does indeed rock (4.5 months in so far for me).

Some friends of mine were having difficulties in their marriage a while back and were advised to do more things together to strengthen the relationship.

Not things like going to the cinema, or out for dinner, but things like building and painting Airfix models, something where they would have a common goal and separate the tasks to each's strengths.  He painted, she built, each dependent on the other to produce a good model at the end.

If you and your wife are already doing that (and keep at it) - I doubt you'll end up inside a marriage guidance counsellor's office.

Well, I think for some things . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 10:24:10 AM EST
. . . we got lucky, and enjoy doing many "relationship building" things together. For others issues though, there is a long road ahead full of hard work (ie: her accepting my love of hockey / me listening to her speak instead of the play-by-play on the radio).

Presumably not in her culture I'd think? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #19 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:06:10 PM EST
Dunno if the Chinese have similar national sports that the blokes obsess about, though.

Still, at least you don't have to explain the Offside rule for football...  Again.

Yeah, as much as most Canuckleheads . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #22 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:38:59 PM EST
. . . would have you believe otherwise, hockey is not a very international sport. North america, northern eurasia - that's it. The Chinese obsess about ping pong, basketball, and soccer. So yeah, offsides and scoring goals are understod concepts.

The playoffs haven't started yet, and she knows who Mats Sundin is, so it's a start . . .

No cricket though... by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #25 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:54:23 PM EST
Fortunately MBW is Aussie so I have no need to explain that one.

Other than endure her laughter when the Aussies have trounced us again.

I know a few of them... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #9 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:01:35 AM EST
...but is there an answer key?  And, for the record, I haven't followed hockey since Dennis Savard retired...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

The answer is . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:32:31 AM EST
. . . that all of them were hockey players, none are active - all real nicks as well.

Get back into, dude! This year, your Stars are looking very good . . . Ribeiro has been a great surprise, and you just picked up Richards at the trade deadline. Plus, I am envious of the ease with which you must be able to purchase good seats for a live game in big D - oh, wait, you're in Houston.

You mock me... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #16 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 12:07:50 PM EST
Being in Austin, I'm 4 hours away but yes I can get cheap tickets (that's how I saw the Stars/Blackhawks game that had to be the best ever), but I hear they may move the Stars to Cedar Park, with is basically far north Austin but that could be a feeder team or something...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Haha, no really, I mock . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #21 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:30:27 PM EST
. . . myself. I have as good a chance to get Leafs tickets as they have to win Lord Stanley's cup.

that's a miniscule chance, by the bye.

I don't think the Stars were moving; but then again, hockey news from that far south in that market takes a while to filter through the inane chatter about  the Leafs' chances of a playoff berth.

OK. Now name all the black players who by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #10 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:13:25 AM EST
made it to the NHL. It's a pretty short list.

Or by me0w (2.00 / 0) #11 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:28:41 AM EST
Your could look here.

#SIGH# What part of by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:36:42 AM EST
"Without searching for the correct answer, please tell me which ..."

Now come here for your obligatory spanking.

Interesting . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #14 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:42:04 AM EST
. . . I didn't know Byfuglien, the rookie for the Blackhawks, was 'black'.

Not that it matters, since the whole categorisation and list on Wikipedia of current black hockey players in the NHL (and even in the minors, weird) seems fairly racist, in my mind. And eerie.

I wasn't going to answer . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 11:58:39 AM EST
. . . because, well, I think calling a player 'black' when their skin is the colour of a cafe au lait is silly, even though I do it myself for social acceptability. But before I looked at meow's awesome googling prowess, I would have come up with:
Jerome Iginla, Donald Brashear, Georges Laraque, Mike Grier, Jamal Mayers . . . and the retired Grant Fuhr, of course. First 'black' player was Willy McGee, or McRae . . . (looks it up)Willie O'Ree.

Still scratching my head as to why you asked?

I was just being whack. by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #17 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 12:12:51 PM EST
Wayne Simmonds, who played in St. Louis, is not on me0w's precious list, so she gets another spank -- Oops, no. There he is. I guess she gets to spank me. Willie McGee was a talented St. Louis baseball outfielder BTW.

And I agree on your reference to what is 'black', but I've made my opinion on the ridiculousness of race known elsewhere.

OK, now name all the hispanic players! -nt- by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #18 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:04:17 PM EST

How about all the Chinese players? by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #20 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:28:55 PM EST
Or Polynesians?

No Chinese I know of . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #24 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:48:13 PM EST
. . . without googling, but I do know Brad Park was first and only Korean, and I think first south-east asian. He's still playing I think, but can't remember where he went after the Islanders. Minnie, maybe. Also, Paul Kariya (a Canadian) is of part Japanese descent.

Sadly, no Polynesians, although with global cooling, could be sooner rather than later . . .

Korea != SE Asia by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #26 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 09:03:38 PM EST
Look again, my globe-trotting buddy.

(Comment Deleted) by slozo (4.00 / 1) #27 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 02:53:40 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by slozo

I just knew . . . by slozo (4.00 / 1) #28 Thu Mar 06, 2008 at 02:58:12 AM EST
. . . some pedantic mother----er was going to point out the Korea/se asia thing as soon as I posted it . . . crimminy. Should have been oriental, I suppose - although my south-east asia does include Korea (draw a line through the middle of asia, and South Korea makes the cut, actually).

For further pedantism, it wasn't Brad Park, all star NHL defenceman of the 70s I was thinking of - it was Richard Park, who is still a fringe player in the NHL, playing for the Isles. And, according to the web, he was the second Korean - some guy named Jim Paek was the first.

Scott Gomez . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #23 Wed Mar 05, 2008 at 02:44:40 PM EST
. . . only know this because he was the first Alaskan and hispanic. Plays for the Rangers. So - one, to my knowledge.

Hip Check, No Penalty | 33 comments (33 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback