Print Story I miss Nazis
Films
By georgeha (Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 07:06:10 AM EST) Nazis, Irish_girl, urban decay (all tags)
back in the days, you could always pull out a Nazi if you needed a good villain, case in point, Marathon Man.

Nowadays, they're mostly dead, save for a few concentration camp guards. We need new villains.

Plus, the Constant Gardener, Bloody Aachen, Easter, the city is crumbling, and less.

Poll: Favorite movie villain?

We survived the overnights, it ended up we had newspaper_girl and Porsche_girl, while six year old went over to AF_girls house, everyone was happy. Mrs. Ha and I ended up going to bed around 11, letting the girls go downstairs to watch Hannah Montana on the DVR and go to bed at a decent time, which was probably 1 in the morning. Everyone was tired and cranky the next day.

Mrs. Ha ended up with an urge to see her mom, so she went off while I watched the girls for the rest of the day.

Easter was a mellow, low key day at my parents, we still have lots of candy and chocolate. Easter Bunny brought some drawing stuff for six year old and a belated Vera Bradley purse for eleven year old, apparently Very Bradley is big in the sixth grade. We did get a lot of ham leftovers, so I've had salty sammies for lunch all week, and beans and greens for dinner.

We got through two movies this week. We started Marathon Man last week, but finished it Friday night, in time for the weekly movie exchange Saturday morning. I found the plot a little convoluted, maybe because it didn't engage me so much. Nazi villains just don't do it anymore either, they're too overexposed, or just villains of a past time.

The Constant Gardener was a mess at times, too, with a few too many tricky shots, you know, focusing in on something close then panning out (wasn't Dirty Pretty Things like that?) or watching the leads on CC camers, and lots of flashbacks (which were needed to see more of Rachel Weisz). Other than the auteur shots, it was filmed beautifully, though Kenya and Africa don't do much for me. It was good enough for us to get all the way through it, over three nights, since we've been going to bed at 10. I suppose if you weren't a liberal, or suspicious of big pharm, you might not enjoy it.

Next week, a review of a long sought movie involving a skinny skanky Cristina Ricci. Mark your calendars.

Speaking of Nazis, I just finished Bloody Aachen, a Charles Whiting book on the fighting for Aachen in 1944. There's not much there, I give it a meh.

Our city is crumbling! The sub shop and the Chinese place at the corner are gone! The only restaurant left around the corner is the bar famous for it's chicken wings. Oh yeah, there's also been three high profiles murders (one woman was beat to death by a gang with a crowd of onlookers, two 15 year old boys were shot at a drug house at 2 in the morning) with no arrests, cause snitchin's not cool.

Saturday Mrs. Ha is tentatively going to the children's museum with Irish_girl and her kids, I'm tentatively planning on going to Beers of the World for brewing supplies. Sunday we're going to Buffalo for Mrs. Ha's mom's birthday celebration.

< Brandishing your skin | Safe boring diary >
I miss Nazis | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO by jump the ladder (4.00 / 3) #1 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 07:59:24 AM EST
The Brits

Oh yeah, they manned the Death Star by georgeha (4.00 / 4) #5 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:30:53 AM EST

Only the upper class ones. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #19 Mon Mar 31, 2008 at 08:39:29 AM EST
The ones with any one of a number of unintelligible "working class" accents are actually lovable lugs despite the bad teeth and bizarre food.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
I watched the girls for the rest of the day. by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:06:20 AM EST
Sounds like my upcoming beach weekends.

Except the girls I'll be watching are a few years older.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

WIPO by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:07:53 AM EST
America hating liebrals.

And no joos for the liebrals to pick ?

Anyway, any visits to the dentist planned, after seeing Marathon Man ?

Whities not good enough for you by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:40:50 AM EST
on the lieberal front? Jewish and or Liberal movie villains are pretty rare, I had trouble thinking of any.

true, I missed the 'movie' distinction.. by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 09:13:46 AM EST
But what's funny, isn't it the wacko conservatives that think everything is a jewish conspiracy ? (or are they just plain wacko, and conservative is applied to them because they are strong individualist/live off the land/hate big gov't out to get them type of folks ?)

Yet it's the liebarls that hate Israel..

Weird. Can't win.

You mean Billy Graham? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 10:24:38 AM EST
I don't know if I'd call him wacko, he's mellowed since the Nixon days.

Intacto? by Scrymarch (2.00 / 0) #17 Sat Mar 29, 2008 at 06:22:09 AM EST

The Political Science Department of the University of Woolloomooloo

PS. Mrs. Ha is getting a crown Monday by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:53:20 AM EST
she appreciated Marathon Man.

The crown part should be painless by sasquatchan (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 09:11:53 AM EST
at least, when the Mrs got hers.. It's the root canal ~ 1 month before the crown goes on, now that's a jobbie..

The hired assassin by ana (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:28:26 AM EST
in The Sting.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

I'll put that on the too watch list. by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 08:43:04 AM EST

Excellent choice. by greyrat (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 10:26:56 AM EST
I will as always push my personal all time favorite: The 1968 widescreen version of The Lion in Winter

WIPO: by muchagecko (4.00 / 3) #11 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 10:22:46 AM EST
self

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
WIPO by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 01:56:00 PM EST
Rex Manning

Vive le Montréal libre.
say no more by misslake (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 03:58:21 PM EST
mon amore

how can he be the villain? he's going to bring the lovin' up to your front door!

How can he not be a villain? by Driusan (2.00 / 0) #16 Fri Mar 28, 2008 at 07:07:21 PM EST
Have you seen his hair?

Vive le Montréal libre.
WI{PO: Time Travelling Robots by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Mar 31, 2008 at 08:37:56 AM EST
With drop-down menus of snappy come backs in the heads-up display.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Robots and computers are a huge omission by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #20 Mon Mar 31, 2008 at 08:41:02 AM EST
skynet wouldn't let me post them originally.

I miss Nazis | 20 comments (20 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback