Print Story Militant Atheists' Marching Song
Music
By Alan Crowe (Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:33:38 AM EST) atheist, hymn (all tags)
I've submitted my new lyrics for a traditional tune to Reddit

I've managed to get the important words to land on the minims and dotted minims. I'm pleased about that. That might warn you that my skills as a lyricist are rudimentary.

I've tried to write stirring words, working in blood and iron. My words cannot be condemned as anaemic:-)

I think that enough time has passed to permit re-use of the tune. Consider that an identification challenge.

< Kegerator! | follow your muse >
Militant Atheists' Marching Song | 5 comments (5 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Legal reuse of a song you don't own? by nightflameblue (4.00 / 1) #1 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:00:12 AM EST
Currently, the song would have to have original copyright posted in 1922 or earlier. Keep that in mind, or the RIAA WILL COME SWOOPING IN IN THEIR BLACK HELICOPTERS AND KI. . .

Earlier than 1927 by Alan Crowe (4.00 / 1) #2 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 02:44:02 PM EST
I have found lyrics from 1927 that refer to the tune as "Well know soldiers song"

Well then. . . by nightflameblue (2.00 / 0) #3 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 02:09:32 AM EST
You might be OK.  Unless someone in the RIAA decides that they updated the copyright somewhere between then and now.

Found a version from 1920 by Alan Crowe (2.00 / 0) #4 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 02:42:28 AM EST
Nobody has taken up my challenge to identify the tune. Here is a hint: not even the RIAA is going to claim ownership.

I'm too lazy to try and parse out the notes by lm (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 03:46:13 AM EST
But the meter seems to fit `Onward Christian Soldiers'

Cicero, The Republic