Print Story Kegerator!
By Gedvondur (Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:26:11 AM EST) Beer, kegerators, homebrew, projects (all tags)
My buddy Scott just finished up our kegerator.  Sweet sweet pic inside.

This little jobbie is a Sanyo 4912M with a dual Perlick tap tower and Shirron (Ventmatic) forward sealing taps.  It will hold two five gallon Corny kegs and a five pound bottle of CO2 with a dual Micromatic regulator for different pressures.

The inside of the door is a white erasable marker board for notes.  Hidden inside is a fan and blower to recirculate cold air into the draft tower to prevent foaming on initial pours.

The rails are stainless steel drawer pulls from Lee Valley Hardware.   As soon as we get our line cleaner, we will have California Common (Anchor Steam clone) and a German Alt on tap.  Sweet!

Gedvondur

< Things, stuff, and stuffed things. | Militant Atheists' Marching Song >
Kegerator! | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
I take it by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #1 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:32:23 AM EST
you drink A LOT of beer?

"It means more if you have to earn it, even if it's by doing something as simple as eating a meal." Kellnerin
Well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #2 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:41:12 AM EST
I brew beer with Scott.  The kegerator is at his place.  About 10 of us get together about once or twice a week and everybody will have a pint or two.  That adds up quick.

So it looks like a lot of beer, but in reality it isn't that much.  Five gallons of beer is the equivalent of about two cases of beer.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

That makes sense. by muchagecko (4.00 / 2) #3 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:50:00 AM EST
I thought it was just something for you and the wife.

so ... by R343L (4.00 / 2) #4 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:51:29 AM EST
What will you think of me that I kind of wish my roommates and I had such a setup? Really only two of us would use if regularly ...

What will I think? by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #6 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:02:12 AM EST
You must drink A LOT of beer.

Nah, two glasses of beer a night by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #7 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:14:05 AM EST
will drain a keg of homebrew in less than a month.

I was raised Mormon, by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #8 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:18:18 AM EST
but beer everyday is A LOT of beer.

A beer or two with dinner is no biggie by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #11 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:29:42 AM EST
considering Mrs. Ha may have half a glass, or none, it would put the Ha household at about 67 liters per  capita per year, or around Canada's level.

I like beer by muchagecko (2.00 / 0) #12 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:00:56 AM EST
but beer everyday is just too much in my book.

You'd probably think my yogurt everyday habit is too much.

if by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #22 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 04:10:05 PM EST
having yogurt every day is wrong.

I don't wanna be right.

Click

How about yogurt and beer?! by muchagecko (4.00 / 1) #24 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 05:37:17 PM EST
Yogurt and beer for everyone!

I think that's called "real ale" by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #26 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:13:44 PM EST
Free dead mouse in every pint

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
It's called... by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #28 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 08:51:04 AM EST
carry a can of air freshener around with you 24/7.

I do drink a fair bit of alcohol really by R343L (4.00 / 2) #10 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:19:42 AM EST
Probably by your standards anyway. Probably averages a drink a night.

Dayum, you got me beat there by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #5 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:57:07 AM EST
I can only have one on tap. Looks awesome.

+1 Impressive.... by atreides (4.00 / 2) #9 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 10:18:23 AM EST
I need something to put White Russians on tap, myself...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #13 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:12:03 AM EST
Well you could do that, but pushing them with CO2 would carbonate them.......

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

Well, a white russian with soda... by atreides (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:50:58 AM EST
...is a Colorado Bulldog.  I wonder what it would be with carbonation but without soda?  Where'a a bartender when you need one?

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Heh by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #17 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 12:09:10 PM EST
I just worry what the carbonation would do to the milk.  It might do bad things to the milk fat.

There would also be the problem of that drink separating in the keg as it sat.  Kegs draw off the bottom.  Might have to shake it before use every time.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

Hmmm... by atreides (4.00 / 1) #20 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 01:29:06 PM EST

Perhaps I should reconsider.  This can only end in tears...

He sails from world to world in a flying tomb, serving gods who eat hope.

Much jealousy have I by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #14 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 11:38:50 AM EST
(especially since I'm bottling the pilsner this weekend).

May I ask what it cost?

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #16 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 12:07:22 PM EST
The fridge itself is available at Best Buy, for about $200.00.  You can get it on sale sometimes.  Lowes sells it too, I hear tell.

The dual tower I got on Ebay for about $85.00.  Had to put another twenty into it to replace some of the old fittings.

Shirron forward seal faucets are about $38.00 per.

Rails ran about $30.00

Fan assembly about $30.00.

We also had to buy a hole saw.  But that was pretty cheap.

Misc materials such as caulk and the whiteboard for the door was about another thirty bucks.

That brings it right about to $400.00.

This doesn't include the cost of the dual regulator, CO2 tank, beverage line, CO2 line, or Corny kegs.

There are numerous guides out there on how specifically to do this conversion with the Sanyo 4912M.  You could knock some costs out by going single tap.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

thanks by joh3n (4.00 / 2) #18 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 12:28:05 PM EST
Single tap is no fun though!

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

I agree by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #21 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 01:30:08 PM EST
Our plan is to more or less have a session beer on one tap and something a bit more exotic on the other.  Of course, that will vary, depending on brewing schedule.

For instance, we are brewing up two five gallon batches of Chimay Grand Reserve this Saturday.  That think is such an ass-kicker that we generally only bottle it.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

whoa! by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #23 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 04:47:00 PM EST
recipe please!

I was also thinking the same thing re:  dual kegs.  My wife isn't a big fan of hoppy beers, whereas I love a beer so hoppy it makes my face implode.  With a dual shot, I could have a nice ale or wheat on one side and an IPA of doom on the other, and everyone would win.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Tomorrow by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #25 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 09:32:27 PM EST
I'll post it for you tomorrow.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

Many thanks! by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #27 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 03:39:48 AM EST
This summer, I'm switching employers and states  of residence.  My new employer happens to be a mile from a homebrew store.  You do the math.....

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

Here's the all-grain version by Gedvondur (4.00 / 1) #29 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 09:52:05 AM EST
This version is from Beer Captured.  I'll look for the extract version I use.  Having trouble finding it.

BTW, you gotta let this one age for like six months before drinking.

Chimay Grande Reserve Clone

OG: 1.087
FG: 1.015
SRM: 34 (amber with some red tones)
IBU: 27
ABV: 9.0%

For 5 gal recipe:

Grains:
13.33lb Belgian 2-row Pilsner Malt
8 oz Belgian Cara-Munich Malt
6 oz Belgian Aromatic Malt
4 oz Belgian Special B Malt
2.5 oz British Chocolate Malt

Single infusion mash at 149F for 90 minutes, 1.1-1.25 qts water/lb grain. Soften water by diluting with RO or distilled water. I used 3 parts distilled to 1 part tap. You need a highly fermentable wort.

Hops:
1/2 oz Yakima Magnum (6 HBU) - 60 min boil
1/2 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 15 min boil
1/4 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker - 2 min boil

Other Additions:
1.5 lb Belgian Dark Candi Sugar - 60 min boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise - 15 min boil
1 tsp Irish Moss - 15 min boil
1/8 tsp Grains of Paradise 2 min boil

Ferment at 65F with WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast (or Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale). I've heard people ferment at low to mid 70s also with good results.

Ferment in the primary fermenter for 7 days or until fermentation slows, then siphon into the secondary fermenter. Prime the beer in the secondary with another dose of the same strain of fresh yeast 3 days before bottling. Bottle when fermentation is complete, target gravity is reached and beer has cleard (approximately 6 weeks) with:

1/2 cup corn sugar and 1/3 cup Belgian candi sugar that has been boiled for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water. Let prime at 70F for aproximately 6 weeks until carbonated, then store at cellar temperature.
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

so very awesome. by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #30 Thu Mar 27, 2008 at 10:01:58 AM EST
Thanks!

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

I approve by BlueOregon (4.00 / 2) #19 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 12:44:03 PM EST

And my former students, from whom I learned the term kegerator all those years ago, would be jealous.

Kegerator! | 30 comments (30 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback