Print Story askHusi for recipes, revisited
Food
By clover kicker (Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 06:09:42 AM EST) (all tags)
To make a long boring story short and boring, I've got family coming over for Easter dinner and I've got to cook a ham.

I've never cooked a whole ham before, I just buy the wimpy pre-sliced chunks.

Suggestions solicited, as long as they don't involve pineapple.

Exciting poll inside.

Thanks.
< Ettiquette | A Day in the Life >
askHusi for recipes, revisited | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
What's wrong with pineapple and cherries by georgeha (4.00 / 3) #1 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 06:19:00 AM EST
and cloves?

as a wee lad I once overindulged in pineapple by clover kicker (4.00 / 2) #9 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:54:43 AM EST
until I barfed. I've never enjoyed it since.

It's a common story, but usually about {rum|tequila|vodka coolers} .

No pineapple? by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 06:19:47 AM EST
You understand that we have camps already in place for people like you, right?

Hmm. by Herring (4.00 / 2) #3 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 06:23:08 AM EST
How I would cook a gammon joint:
  1. Soak in water overnight to remove excess salt
  2. Steam/pressure cook until cooked (can't remember weight ratio)
  3. Bung in oven at about 180C for 30-60mins to make the outside nice.
Serve with pease pudding (also needs a pressure cooker). Pineapple optional.

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Well by Gedvondur (4.00 / 2) #4 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 06:50:49 AM EST
This comes with much recommendation:

TinyURL version:  http://tinyurl.com/9utjm

Couple of my friends have made it, I guess it is the bomb.

Gedvondur
"...I almost puked like a pregnant StackyMcRacky." --MillMan

Idea by riceowlguy (4.00 / 1) #5 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:14:13 AM EST
I've got family coming over for Easter dinner and I've got to cook a hamgumbo.

I fixed this for you.

Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

Ham was good enough for Jesus by ammoniacal (4.00 / 5) #6 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:27:03 AM EST
and it's good enough for me.

Do what any sane person does. by ObviousTroll (2.00 / 0) #7 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:40:09 AM EST
Buy a pre-cooked spiral cut ham.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
that's part of the boring story I omitted by clover kicker (2.00 / 0) #8 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 07:50:33 AM EST
%RELATIVE% was gifted a big ham.

Some years ago... by ana (4.00 / 1) #11 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 09:37:38 AM EST
when my brother was in college, he won a turkey in some kind of a contest. He had just enough freezer space to freeze it, which he did. Come Christmas time, he put the frozen turkey in a cardboard box with some packing material, rigged up a rope handle, and carried it on to an airplane on his way home for the holiday.

He'd figured, correctly as it turned out, that the bird would take longer to thaw than the trip home.

He says it was very amusing going through security (much more lax in those days, though they had x-ray machines). The bored rent-a-cop looked at the screen, perked up a bit, backed up the belt, called several buddies over, and they all had a good laugh.

The turkey cooked up wonderfully for Christmas dinner.

"And this ... is a piece of Synergy." --Kellnerin

Bird Flu! by ad hoc (2.00 / 0) #12 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 09:53:30 AM EST
Recipe by ad hoc (4.00 / 2) #10 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 09:30:38 AM EST
  1. something
  2. something
  3. Campbell's cream of mushroom soup
  4. something

The three things that make a diamond also make a waffle.
Parent is a troll by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #13 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 10:16:11 AM EST
nothing good comes from any recipe that includes a can of Campbell's soup.

must. not. make. by joh3n (4.00 / 1) #16 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 05:16:19 PM EST
'zombie Andy Warhol' account.

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

caution: vegetarian with vague memories of meat by misslake (4.00 / 1) #14 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 03:57:11 PM EST
once upon a time when i was a little girl helping in the kitchen, there was a spectacular ham thing that my mom did.

it involved slicing the ham, putting in slices of ginger, then pouring over half a can of schweppes raspberry ginger ale. then i can't remember if the ham was covered or not, but it baked for a time. you baste the ham with the ginger ale while cooking, and finish it off with raspberries for only the last few minutes of cooking, so they don't turn to mush.

i remember loving it untill i bit into a piece of ginger. then refusing to eat any more ham.

tasty!

On the bone? Or a joint? by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #15 Thu Mar 20, 2008 at 04:51:37 PM EST
Boil it in water slowly until it's either falling off the bone or the string holding it together is not doing a good job anymore.  You'll need to put it in a pan, cover with cold water so it's at least 1 inch covered.  For every pint of water, add a good tablesppon of honey and half a tablespoon of English mustard.

Once cooked, remove the ham from the pan and keep the water.  Skim off excess scummy fat floating on the surface, then use the water to cook cabbage in.

Slive the ham really thin once it's rested a bit, and serve with mashed potato and the cabbage.

Coca cola is your friend. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Mar 21, 2008 at 02:41:36 AM EST
But you'll have to go elsewhere for the recipe.

Man, that makes me hungry.

soak and drain by Merekat (4.00 / 1) #18 Fri Mar 21, 2008 at 04:55:30 AM EST
Do that at least three times, including overnight.
Then stick cloves into it, drizzle it with honey and then roast it.

askHusi for recipes, revisited | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback