Print Story Attention London infidels...
Food
By Metatone (Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 01:09:33 AM EST) Cafe Spice, London, curry (all tags)
There are some chefs who have developed a reputation for mixing Indian techniques with more local ingredients to interesting effect.

Most ubiquitous of these would be one Atul Kochhar who seems to be all over the telly these days.

It seems, according to Google, that I never wrote about it, but last year I gritted my teeth and sampled the expensive surroundings of Kochhar's Benares restaurant. I was very impressed. Rather excited even, despite the unbearable lightness induced in my wallet. Here was some really good tasting, innovative food and the best "new-wave" Indian cuisine I'd ever eaten in the UK.

But then, this week, I went to Cafe Spice Namaste. It's a bit out of the way, near Tower Hill tube, but by $DEITY it was worth it.

Not only does the flavouring of the food knock seven bells out of Kochhar's Benares, but Cafe Spice is even actually quite reasonably priced (prices are on the website...)

Anyway, if you live in London and like curry, go to Cafe Spice and try the Venison Tikka, it's one of the best flavour sensations I've tasted in years. Lots of other interesting things on the menu too.

< "Air Flow & Oxygen" | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Attention London infidels... | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Dude... by Breaker (4.00 / 1) #1 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 02:59:18 AM EST
You were in London and didn't want to go for a beer?

For shame Sir, for shame.

Might give Cafe Spice Namaste a go though...

I'm actually in Londinium... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #3 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 04:04:29 AM EST
a fair bit these days, but it's usually pretty rushed.

I blame a combination of:

• Our magnificent transport system.
  • I'm trolling for work a lot at the moment, so I end up meeting people after work hours to "explore possibilities" and all that joy...
I thought you were in deepest Chermany anyway?

I am in Chermany quite a bit by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #9 Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 06:08:29 AM EST
But they do occasionally let me have time in Londinium.

In which case why not come down the night before, crash at mine and then have an easy run to the citeh the next day?  Hangovers notwithstanding, of course...

Nice of you to offer... by Metatone (2.00 / 0) #10 Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 06:43:28 AM EST
I'll email you next time I'm planning travel... Still using the connectfree addy?

Oooh good lordy that was almost a lifetime ago. by Breaker (2.00 / 0) #13 Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 01:08:16 AM EST
MetatoneLawyer check yuor PM!

Venison Tikka by yicky yacky (4.00 / 1) #2 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 03:59:23 AM EST

is one of those phrases that makes you go, "Hmmmm", followed -- a brief pause later -- by, "Damn. That might well taste excellent". Thanks for the tip.

----
Vacuity abhors a vacuum.
Curried marmite? by marvin (4.00 / 2) #4 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 06:03:50 AM EST
Sorry, but I cannot imagine any local cuisine that I could associate with England combined into a pleasing fusion with anything. Boiled roast beef tandoor, anyone?

I would eat curried marmite. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 3) #5 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 10:39:50 AM EST
In fact, that's the only way I would ever again eat marmite.

Have not had that ...uh... pleasure by marvin (2.00 / 0) #6 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 11:23:09 AM EST
But thanks for being the guinea pig. Do you think it might be possible to form marmite into a patty? After grilling, and with copious amounts of barbeque sauce, you could make almost anything edible. Maybe even English food.

Sure, if you used a bit of cheesecloth. by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #7 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 11:29:15 AM EST
I wouldn't use BBQ sauce though.

You Fucking Brits are going to make me by greyrat (4.00 / 1) #8 Sat Mar 15, 2008 at 03:49:01 PM EST
come over there, aren't you? God damn fucking people offering me places to sleep and guidance in from the airport. Now interesting (and therefore obviously not English) cuisine...

I'LL GET THERE AS FAST AS I FUCKING CAN! And sadly, that's probably two to four years from now -- unless I can land a job there...

I have to ask about the venison tikka by Herring (4.00 / 4) #11 Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 09:48:42 AM EST
Was it deer?

christ, we're all old now - StackyMcRacky
Mmm, I have some venison in the fridge. by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #12 Sun Mar 16, 2008 at 11:25:35 AM EST
Well, technically, something containing venison.  No word to the bailiffs.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Sounds good by nebbish (2.00 / 0) #14 Mon Mar 17, 2008 at 02:30:57 AM EST
For a few years now I've stuck to going to Mirch Masala (oh god just thinking about their grilled lamb chops with chilli...) but could do with somewhere different, especially in east London where most of the curry houses seem to be over expensive tourist traps.

The fusion concept is interesting but I'll taste it before I say anything. Curried jellied eels anyone?

--------
It's political correctness gone mad!

Some people really rate by Dr H0ffm4n (2.00 / 0) #15 Wed Mar 26, 2008 at 07:54:35 AM EST
Tayyabs in Whitechapel. It's too greasy for my tastes, but the food is very tasty and extremely cheap. You have to take your own beer.

Attention London infidels... | 15 comments (15 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback