Print Story 1st Battalion, the Royal Welsh
Death
By Gedvondur (Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 05:00:01 AM EST) War, Heros, Holy Shit, Grenades (all tags)
Clearly, don't fuck with Fusilier Damien Hields.

He's a badass of epic proportions.

Article from the Times of London:  http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article3511901.ece

Speculation is that Fusilier Hields was firing one of these:  http://youtube.com/watch?v=hN4GlNZB1-g

From the article:

"Hields followed the trail of RPG-7 rocket-propelled grenades coming towards him and started firing grenades one at a time, trying to home in. “Then I switched to automatic fire,” he said. A grenade machine gun has a box with 32 grenade rounds. “I emptied a box onto that position and you could see all the dust and smoke flying about where they hit.

“After that no fire came back from that position and I moved on to the next one. One or two rounds until I got onto the target, and switch to automatic and empty the box.”"

Fusilier Hields on being wounded in that same firefight:

"Hields said: “It turned out the bullet had smashed a rib and gone out of me again without touching any internal organs which was very lucky. It was just a flesh wound really.”"

Jesus jumping Jupiter.  Sighted in and emptied the box.  Twice.  No wonder the Taliban did their damnedest to kill him after that.

< At last, a Tory policy that I can get behind | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
1st Battalion, the Royal Welsh | 6 comments (6 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
150? You should have seen the ones that got away. by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #1 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 05:37:53 AM EST
That reminds me, I "almost single handedly" had sexxors last night.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
single handedly by sasquatchan (4.00 / 1) #3 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 07:27:09 AM EST
Right, what do you call sheep's feet ? Hooves ?

You're not accusing him... by Vulch (4.00 / 1) #5 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 08:56:28 AM EST

...Of being Welsh are you?

Wouldn't happen if they were still using fusils. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 2) #2 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 06:30:26 AM EST
Guaranteed.

The medic by johnny (4.00 / 1) #4 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 08:50:02 AM EST
Lance-corporal Carly Williams is no slouch either:

“The lads were screaming at me to get into cover,” said Williams, 23, from Llanelli. They saw one round actually pass between my legs.” She was awarded the Joint Commanders’ Commendation for her bravery.
Buy my books, dammit!

True dat by Gedvondur (2.00 / 0) #6 Tue Mar 11, 2008 at 09:35:23 AM EST
She kicked some ass too.

Gedvondur