Print Story It's Friday, I must be diarizing
Boredom
By georgeha (Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 07:24:20 AM EST) hexity goodness, dementia, Lent (all tags)
Plus, the 3D Hannah Montana Concert movie spectacle, the old lady across the street, the old voice on the radio, the Truth, one down, Guadalcanal, and less.

Poll: What are you having for dinner?

It has been a long week, with the literal icing on the cake being the cold rainy front that went through yesterday.

Yes, every time I wanted to go somewhere in the car I had to chip ice off the windows, it was teh suck, the big suck. I wonder why I'm stuck in this dismal clime, and then I realize it won't be too much longer before the sunbelt is out of water. It's ours you low tax paying overmortgaged slackers, ours, ours, ours.

We didn't have pancakes for Pancake Day, we had burritos because I wanted to get to the Y and swim, and then vote. That was the first time I've voted in a primary.

The old lady across the street died last week. She was cranky and ornery, and while we were cordial with her, we didn't do a lot to help her. She hinted and complained, but from my perspective, she had it pretty good, she could get around, she had her mental faculties, things could have been a lot worse, like, say, my mother-in-law.

We did see the mother-in-law Sunday, her hip replacement surgeries really helped her, she's feeling better and can get around, though she has no short term memory and usually thinks it's the early 1970's.

On the whole, put me down for living alone in my own house with my mind still active and dying versus being shut up in an institution with no mind at all.

She had two kids, a son who died decades ago who she was still mourning, and a daughter who lives in North Carolina. The daughter and her husband have the burden of clearing out her house, they left a huge pile for the trash trucks, and there's more to come. I didn't feel like checking out the garbage, she grew up a farm, didn't have much except clutter the last time I was in her house (though she did say her son had a lot of Lego, I dunno).

Of course, now we can't threaten the kids with sending them over to her house for babysitting if they don't behave.

We're hoping the house (a duplex) gets sold to a nice family with kids, but a landlord will probably pick it up to sell to college and just out of college kids, we need more brats partying loudly all weekend long.

The girls got to see the Hannah Montana Concert Movie in 3D, and they said it was great. It was in Buffalo, so we made two trips west last weekend (and used the one to see the mother-in-law, see above).

The party at the old_neighbors was nice, and had plenty of Rochester is a small city (especially for white liberals with kids living in the city) moments. Because of the party, we didn't get to any movies this weekend, though the DVD player is not opening, and I'm suspecting we're getting a new one soon. It looks like I can get a Phillips with divx for about $60 from Target.

I sort of have the money for that since I got a big payoff from my flexspend account. I'm not going to squander all of it though, I was able to pay off Mrs. Ha line of credit on an old checking account. One down, many to go.

The only media review I have this week is a Discworld novel, The Truth, in which we see the founding of the Ankh-Morpork Times. I should have read this before reading Monstrous Regiment, we get lots of William De Worde and Otto Chriek, and a smidgen of Vimes and Vetinari. It's worth re-reading, which I'm doing.

In the world of hexity goodness, I've been playing a free game on the battle for Guadalcanal, First Blood. The price is right, and it's interesting to watch the hordes from our respected corporate partner swarm towards Henderson Field, only to be stopped and pushed back the flood of reinforcements.

The local classic rock fans are in an uproar, Brother Wease who has been hosting the morning show on the classic rock station for 22 years has been let go. He was locally famous, but the station is being transferred from one conglomerate to another, and they felt he wasn't worth 400k USD yearly. I stopped listening years ago, preferring music to chatter, so it doesn't  affect me.

Tomorrow we have a winter fun day at the local park for the school. There may be no sledding, but the food looks good and we'll bring some games. Tonight we will have a fish fry.

< Stupid glorious morning. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
It's Friday, I must be diarizing | 17 comments (17 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
WIPO: ate Free Friday Curry, so must dine on ashes by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:32:56 AM EST
Operation Fit in Kilt Again proceeds apace.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Heh, we got free brownies today by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #2 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:36:49 AM EST
an nice older lady who retired when the vending services changed (I need to rant about how hard life is in IT when there are no stocked vending machines) sent in brownies. I didn't get any, though I don't know if she wanted to retire or was forced too, so maybe I'm ahead of the game.

You could just buy by chuckles (4.00 / 2) #3 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:45:00 AM EST
a new kilt.

Nomad – you are imperfect! by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #4 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:52:26 AM EST
A true Scotchman doesn't buy his kilt, he takes it from his father's corpse, and passes it on to his son in the same fashion.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
Don't they get a bit threadbare by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #5 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:53:57 AM EST
and drafty then?

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Undrafty kilt? by Rogerborg (4.00 / 2) #6 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 08:57:37 AM EST
JUMBO SHRIMP!

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.
I think I heard about that. by ObviousTroll (4.00 / 2) #8 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:12:02 AM EST
... what was it? Oh, yeah, that the original clan tartans weren't actually deliberately designed, it was just that after generations of food and... other... stains you could distinguish family kilts from a great distance.

Has anybody seen my clue? I know I had it when I came in here.
Wipo: I dunno by wiredog (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:03:04 AM EST
Just got back from lunch at the Chinese place. Will look at the fridge when I get home, but may just have oatmeal.

Many many years ago, in the Days Before Time Corporate Radio Chains, the late, lamented WHFS had a DJ named Damian who suffered a head injury in a car wreck. This left him with a bit of a speech impediment, so Management decided to fire him. Oops. Massive protests, with thousands attending. Heavy local coverage of same. He was rehired.

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Nowadays his fans are blogging up a storm by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #14 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 10:37:49 AM EST
and writing fierce comments on the newspaper's site.  I don't know if anyone will actually meet in person to protest.

WIPO by riceowlguy (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:47:18 AM EST
Thawed salmon fillet peices leftover from Monday's massive salmon fillet, the middle portion of which was used for sushi.  And a salad.

wipo 2 by alprazolam (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:50:09 AM EST
leftover manhattan clam chowder from the superbowl.

Week old chowder? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #13 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 10:36:35 AM EST
can I have your gaming system when you die of food poisoning?

That's admirably low carb by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #15 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 10:43:53 AM EST
I'm still going for french fries, though.

Fucking hell, 400k a year to play other people's by MohammedNiyalSayeed (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 09:50:47 AM EST

records? This computer crap is the wrong business....

He did a lot more chatting than playing by georgeha (4.00 / 2) #12 Fri Feb 08, 2008 at 10:05:16 AM EST
and really, I don't need to hear Another Brick in the Wall ever again.

Brother Wease by houser2112 (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Feb 11, 2008 at 03:14:26 AM EST
I used to enjoy his radio show many years ago, but lately it had been rather lame.  He had become very political.  It is rather lame without him, as well., although I doubt that the remaining people on the show will be as political.  He had many rabidly loyal fans, though, and I wouldn't be surprised if people were to gather to protest.

400k for 25 hours a week.  Unbelievable.

its saturday by Pasofol (2.00 / 0) #17 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 02:41:30 AM EST
I spent most of the day yesterday thinking it was friday and as seeing friday doesnt appear twice in a week one of us must be wrong.

Sorry to hear about the old lady.