Print Story Let's Talk About Good Things
By 606 (Sun Feb 03, 2008 at 06:41:16 PM EST) (all tags)
Also contained herein a new song remix thing at the very end of the diary.

Freezepop; Futura; Hemp Bliss; Rosemary yam fries; Generation Y; A Remix

Freezepop - Future Future Future Perfect; Freezepop have a new album out and it is quite good. They've quadrupled the amount of equipment they now use. They manage to keep a lo-fi sound but with layers of subtlety-- synths that complement each other and mix together in fascinating ways. It has renewed my lust for an Elektron SIDstation, but at a thousand bucks for a synth based on chips designed in the early 80's, it isn't worth it. Also notable is the sinewy analogue buzz of the Moog Voyager. Lust.

Futura; This is a font that ships with OS X, and I'm typing this entry in TextPad using that font and it is beautiful. More minimal than Helvetica, an exaggerated modernism pervades. Still readable at twelve points.

Hemp Bliss; misslake was kind enough to deliver me a tetrapack of this magical beverage from her grocery store: a milk-like product made from the finest organically grown Manitoba hemp. To produce it I assume there is blending to liquify involved of hemp seeds. It doesn't have any THC, fyi. The vanilla flavour reminds me of halva. It seperates and floats around like miso when added to coffee. Which reminds me...

Rosemary yam fries with peanut butter miso dipping sauce at The Coup; oh dear God yes.

Generation Y/the Millenialists; Being born in 1981 it seems I am not a member of Generation X but instead the generation that came after which some are calling The Millenialists. Sweet name, bro. This generation was on a bad track for a while as everyone thought they were lazy and unmotivated but recent analysis shows they're just not into taking shit from THE MAN and prefer friendship and social status instead of money and careerism. The kids these days (by that I mean the 19-20 year olds) in Calgary are starting these awesome bands like nothing I've heard before. Bands like Sudden Infant Dance Syndrome, Fun 100, The Neighbourhood Council, Beija Flor. I find I'm identifying more with the kids these days that with people just a few years older than me. So I guess I get to be a Millenialist. Ya! Or I just get to be that weird old guy at all the shows. I'm cool with that too.

The Beija Flor remix I've just finished; I didn't ask permission to do it so I don't know if they'll be impressed or horrified when they hear it. I'm sort of nervous about emailing them. Oh well. Too bad, information wants to be free, and information wants to party:

Beija Flor - Way Of Living (hexcentihex mix)

< I fail it. | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Let's Talk About Good Things | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)
I'm reading your Diary in by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #1 Sun Feb 03, 2008 at 07:51:22 PM EST
Times New Roman, which is God's own font and don't you forget it, mister.

God's own? by 606 (4.00 / 1) #4 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 06:55:05 AM EST
Times New Roman for PCs was developed as a mutant derivative of the real Times Roman made readable at 11 points on-screen for Microsoft Word. It's not God's own font, it's Bill Gates'. He has more money than God, though.

But really it's the 21st century. You should at least switch to Helvetica.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

I will when our courts do. by ammoniacal (4.00 / 1) #6 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 10:30:16 AM EST
Which shall be, let's say -- never.

born in 1981 by wiredog (4.00 / 1) #2 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 02:49:46 AM EST
I was in high school. I'd already had sex. I'm, technically, old enough to be your father..

Gerroff my lawn! Damn kids muckin' up the innertubes...

Earth First!
(We can strip mine the rest later.)

Huh? by 606 (2.00 / 0) #5 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 06:57:47 AM EST
Who let you on the computer, Oldie McOlderson?

I'm just kidding. Age is a mental thing, and I'm at times 35 and at times 12.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

technically by dev trash (4.00 / 1) #10 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 06:04:21 PM EST
I could be his father too.

Click
freezepop by garlic (4.00 / 1) #3 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 04:15:54 AM EST
their songs on the guitar hero games are pretty cool. It's always odd to find a song I only know from the games somewhere else since the levels on guitar and vocals are reversed in an real release.

it's because they made the game(s) by 606 (2.00 / 0) #7 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 10:46:13 AM EST
I believe at least one of the Freezepop band members is a programmer or exec at Harmonix and the reason why they got into those games is because the programmers needed some songs to develop against. And the reason why it's been so long since the last Freezepop release was that they were busy programming Guitar Hero and making piles of cash.

I first heard them in the game Frequency, which I can't find for purchase anywhere. It's a very rare game now.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Holy shit by 606 (4.00 / 1) #9 Mon Feb 04, 2008 at 05:18:22 PM EST
Thank you. Thank you. I've looked for emulators before but I've only found Windows-only versions. But this one works. Beautifully.

I just installed the demo and started playing with it. It sounds perfect. So rich and buzzy and oddly warm in its tone. And only 60 bucks. Amazing.

-----
imagine dancing banana here

Let's Talk About Good Things | 9 comments (9 topical, 0 hidden)