Print Story I'm your density
Books
By georgeha (Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 07:28:05 AM EST) hexity goodness, beer, discworld (all tags)
It seems that very fantasy writer must tackle the grandfather paradox, in this case it was Pratchett and Night Watch. Which is entirely unrelated to my girls learning the Time Warp at school.

Plus Good birthday, The Panic in Needle Park, Hitler's Last Offensive, last minute audition rush, France 1940 and less.

Poll: Favorite time traveling story?

That was a good birthday, by nearly any definition. We took it real easy on Saturday, being still exhausted from our trip. There was no swimming classes, and I didn't even work out. Mrs. Ha cooked me a nice dinner of shrimp and pasta, and she and the girls made a great chocolate cake out of a Nigella cookbook. There were even presents, an assortment of nuts, bolts and washer, Knizia's Spy game, and some long workout shorts I guess skimpy red nylon soccer shorts aren't becoming on a middle aged man). Forty two can be a good year.

I just signed my life away for eleven year old's school, or at least $4500 of it. I'm hoping we get some financial aid for having obscene credit card debt. It's a crunch week, she had to get a lot of things ready for her school of the arts audition on Saturday. Last night she finished her box as a project, she still has to draw a bookcase and finish her application essay. We probably won't know where she'll go until the end of March.

While we were scrambling to finish the box (rather I was motivating her and giving her tips while she did all the work), the girls said they learned the Time Warp at the school meeting on Wednesday. I'm sure the method teaching it was fine, and the lyrics appeared to be changed (they didn't sing about a pelvic thrust), but I'm not sure I'll show them Rocky Horror, at least not yet.

We watched The Panic in Needle Park, a very early Al Pacino movie where he's a random heroin user hanging out with other low-lifes in Manhattan. Interesting for the period it portrays, and the sordid junkie lifestyle, but not much beyond that, I found Drugstore Cowboy much more entertaining. Mrs. Ha also watched Personal Velocity again while I reread Night Watch.

It seems like every fantasy and science fiction writer feels compelled to tackle the grandfather paradox, in this case it was Pratchett in Night Watch. I spent Saturday reading this (for the first time, I've reread it since), it is a good way to spend your birthday. It's another Vimes book, nearly all Vimes, even Vimes in two roles. While in hot pursuit of a sociopath, he gets caught in a severe temporal event and sent back in time three decades, to become a mentor to his youthful self and a few other watchmen, many of whom are recurring characters. He becomes a catalyst for a change in the Watch We also see lot of Vetinari in action. The story is exquisitely plotted, as a good grandfather paradox story must be. I'm thinking it's my current favorite discworld novel. What's your favorite Time Travel Story?

In Nazi books, I finished Hitler's Last Offensive, yet another Bulge book. I was reading this in Niagara Falls, and Porsche-dad said it looked interesting, so I may give it to him, as I enjoyed A Time For Trumpets more.

My honey lager is darn tasty, I don't know if it will last until Saint Paddy's day though.

In wargaming news, I got a Panzer Grenadier supplement, Sinister Forces, about the SS, the NKVD, and other unsavory units in ETO of WWII, and a wuick game about the fall of France and the low countries in 1940. The both look fun, and the supplement had a few historical essays that were worth reading.

< A Day in the Life | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
I'm your density | 18 comments (18 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
far and away the best time travel story by 256 (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08:26:42 AM EST
i have ever read is "The Seventh Voyage of Ijon Tichy" by Stanislaw Lem
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
I don't think I read that Lem by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #2 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08:35:59 AM EST
I read Futurological Congress and found it confusing (I was a young teenager), and enjoyed the Cyberiad.

it's in The Star Diaries -nt- by 256 (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 09:53:58 AM EST
I don't think anyone's ever really died from smoking. --ni
As a book, I really loved . . . by slozo (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08:38:52 AM EST
. . . Planet of the Apes. It's too bad more people haven't read it.

As a movie, an old fave not mentioned here would be Christopher Reeve's "Somewhere in Time". It has a similar temporal loop involving a watch, and it's a nice lovestory.

I read Planet of the Apes by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #4 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 08:56:22 AM EST
I don't know if I've seen any of the movies all the way through.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure <n/t> by ks1178 (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 09:40:18 AM EST

Whoa by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 09:59:23 AM EST
I don't think I've ever watched it all the way through.

I saw Terry Pratchett last week. by ambrosen (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 11:11:50 AM EST
He was pretty clear that he did empathise with all his characters and that they all represented different aspects of him. But reading between the lines, Vimes is his favourite.

His next novel's about the problem of pain. As he said, he's getting more into the issues.

Thud was a great novel for me. Really hot on lots of good values.

Is he really English? by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 11:15:28 AM EST
I have my doubts after Night Watch. He espoused the American second amendment, and talked about dollars a lot.

Vimes is his most interesting character, the conflicted hero is always interesting.

Speaking of wargames by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 11:42:38 AM EST
Went through a quick demo of Tannhäuser a while back. Its basically a light mix of wargame and boardgame. Everything is a bit simplified to play faster and flow better. ASL its not, but its something that younger players, or non gamers, should pick up pretty easily.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
I saw that on bgg by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #11 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 11:50:49 AM EST
interesting, but pricey.

I think someone from a tech company made it by LinDze (2.00 / 0) #12 Fri Feb 29, 2008 at 05:32:05 PM EST
their model seems to be lots of bling and a high price tag on he basic model then lots of "content packs" of maps and models that you have to buy to actually play more than 1 or 2 games.

-Lin Dze
Arbeit Macht Frei
WIPO: by ammoniacal (2.00 / 0) #13 Sun Mar 02, 2008 at 08:33:52 PM EST
Just about any episode of Time Tunnel.

Way old school by georgeha (4.00 / 1) #14 Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 01:57:11 AM EST
I remember a little of the show, mostly the tunnel, but nothing specific.

WIPO by barooo (2.00 / 0) #15 Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 08:01:18 AM EST
The Man Who Folded Himself, by David Gerrold.

Falls down in places, but interesting.

Also, Time Enough for Love by Heinlein.  Nothing like going back in time 2 centuries to fuck your hot redheaded mother.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
I never read Time Enough For Love by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #16 Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 08:13:24 AM EST
Number of the Beast turned me off later Heinlein, I prefer his work up to The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Probably by barooo (2.00 / 0) #17 Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 08:46:47 AM EST
his last good book in that realm/genre/universe.  And number of the beast makes a lot more sense if you've read it.

JOB: A Comedy of Justice is his last good book, period.

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt
Also by barooo (2.00 / 0) #18 Mon Mar 03, 2008 at 10:48:07 AM EST
I meant 2 centuries

man, i need a beefy taco now.
-gzt