Print Story Who does he know?
By Phil the Canuck (Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03:15:34 AM EST) (all tags)
That's what I asked, and what people kept asking me.

An electrician who, offered a paying gig (not that they hurt for those), decided not to take someone's money. Told them the work wasn't necessary.

The short answer is he's the go-to electrician for the seller's agent. I met them both yesterday at the house for a walk-through. First the electrician gave me his speech about how wonderful and safe aluminum can be. Why, the government wouldn't have approved its use if it wasn't safe! Comments about the worth of government approval aside, they wouldn't have banned the use of the aluminum compound used in the the house in 1972 if it weren't a problem.

Don't worry! Your insurance company will pay if the house burns down, even if you don't fix the wiring. I explained to him that I wasn't really concerned about who would pay for the house. My wife and children will be sleeping down the hall.

Oh, well, it only slightly increases the risk of fire. Yes, very true, but why should I assume even a slight increase in risk? This is, after all, not my problem yet.

Well, it's not really a problem. It's not like they did something completely stupid and spliced copper directly to aluminum. Didn't they? Open this junction box, right here, and tell me what you see. Right, so try again (I admit I got lucky there, I just assumed the Bob Vila wannabe former owner would have done that).

Really, it's not unsafe. They still use aluminum wiring in the 220V service drops! Yes, they do. Multi-strand aluminum with antioxidant applied to connections. Not single-strand aluminum, which is what you've been hired to fix.

He's coming back to do the work next week, he figures he'll be in the house 3-4 days. If I were the suspicious type, I might think that he already had the time set aside.

I made sure to remind the agent that we do not have a signed contract from his clients yet, and the planned closing date is fast approaching.

< Swimming in mustard and ketchup | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
Who does he know? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
Nice Job by duxup (2.00 / 0) #1 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 08:29:02 AM EST
The agents electrician.  Just a wild stab says the dude got paid, somehow.

Personally I wouldn't have had the the knowledge to really know what was going on there.  Nice job.

"Don't worry! Your insurance company will pay if the house burns down, even if you don't fix the wiring."  Nice, because we all know that because the insurance company pays that makes it all so much easier :P

How on earth do they not have the signed contract back to you yet?
____

Contract by Phil the Canuck (4.00 / 1) #2 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 09:28:36 AM EST
Idiocy. That's why.

if i were you by StackyMcRacky (2.00 / 0) #3 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 09:30:27 AM EST
i would have found the loophole to walk away.  and fired my agent (even if she is a friend).

scary.

around here by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #7 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 01:28:51 PM EST
the unsigned contract, plus the unwillingness to do the work requested, is enough to allow you to walk away.
---------
Around here by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #8 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03:57:49 PM EST
Our attorney informed us that we can walk away.  The problem is, finding a comparable price on a house of similar quality (i.e. all-brick ranch, huge lot, big bedrooms, etc.) is not possible without making the kids switch schools.  I already promised them they wouldn't have to switch, and we really do like the house.  As for the problem agent, well, he's their agent so we can't fire him.

i hear you there by LilFlightTest (2.00 / 0) #10 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 05:33:05 PM EST
we looked at a lot of houses before we found this one. location could be better, but when it's a situation of "great neighborhood, good shape, big enough: pick two", we chose to sacrifice location. it's not like our future children can't play outside, but it's not exactly Pleasantville.
---------
I hate the house buying process by georgeha (2.00 / 0) #4 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 09:31:24 AM EST

(Comment Deleted) by zarathus (2.00 / 0) #5 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 09:43:17 AM EST

This comment has been deleted by zarathus

I have aluminum wiring by zarathus (2.00 / 0) #6 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 09:48:02 AM EST
Since my place was built in '69, it has aluminum wiring, too.  The inspector informed me of this before I closed and I accepted it.  I did require some repairs be made before I closed but they were related to plumbing.

Then, right after closing, I paid around $3,500 to have all of the wiring fixed and all of the outlets and switches replaced.  I replaced light fixtures, too, but the cost of those materials was in addition to the $3.5k.  The wiring wasn't replaced but they used that special gunk to ensure the copper to aluminum junctions didn't cause a problem.

I said all of that to get to this:  congratulations for sticking up for yourself and getting things done the right way.

----------
Blogger - n. Someone with nothing to say writing for someone with nothing to do.

The way I see it by Phil the Canuck (2.00 / 0) #9 Fri Feb 22, 2008 at 03:59:39 PM EST
...and the thing they missed, is that there is no incentive for me not to get the work done.

and I hope by garlic (2.00 / 0) #11 Sun Feb 24, 2008 at 11:42:13 AM EST
inspected by your own electrician?

Who does he know? | 11 comments (11 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback