Print Story My annual diary entry
Misc.
By HappyDude (Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 05:18:34 PM EST) travel, game development, cars, puppies (all tags)
It's been a long while since I've written a dairy entry. I figure I should probably write one before I forget what happened.

Highlights:

• Went to Australia
  • Finished my first game as a lead programmer
  • other less exciting stuff

Australia

I went to Australia in December for about two and a half weeks. I was supposed to go after completing my game, but the publisher decided to redesign the game after I bought my plane tickets (more on that later). So I left right before the game went beta.

Anyhow, Australia was awesome, as expected. I spent six days in Sydney, two in Adelaide, and six days in Melbourne. Sydney was nice because I had friends to visit there. Adelaide was cool, despite the fact that my friends warned me that it would be boring. If you're ever traveling through Adelaide, I enthusiastically recommend Hostel109; it's what made my stay. Melbourne was alright. I did lots of touristy things, but didn't really meet a lot of people. Took lots of pictures, yadda yadda yadda. I want to go back later this year.

The Game

I started a game as lead engineer last June. Management was kinda poor on my studio's end and really neurotic on the publisher end. In the process, four programmers quit, one was fired and the producer at our studio was fired. The publisher redesigned the game right before we were supposed to go beta the first time. Then they kept adding shit during the beta to final stretch. All in all it was pretty rough for my first game, but we shipped and that's what counts. I'm now on my second game as lead and we're doing some things differently this time that should avoid a bit of the pain encountered last time.

Things could be worse. I got to see some code from a much higher profile game than the one that I just finished and it was horrifying. If our code base was that jacked I would have hit the road long ago.

The Toy

I got a Nokia N800 for Christmas and I've been enjoying the heck out of it for the last month and a half. I barely use my desktop machine any more. I got an iGo Stowaway keyboard for it last night and I think that might be the final nail in the coffin for my PC. At least until I want to write code for myself again.

In fact, I just typed this entry out on my new keyboard. Pretty sweet. If there was a working Chinese input method for this thing I would be in heaven.

Car Shit

My car was nearly stolen last night. I got in it to go to work this morning and was greeted by a destroyed steering column and ignition. The fucking idiot failed it. Cops were called, prints taken, insurance claims set in motion. I pulled the spark plug wires out when I got home from work. That thing ain't moving without a tow truck. We'll see what happens.

This is the second time in roughly a month that my car has been broken into. The stereo was taken last time. All in all a real pain in the ass.

Moral of the story: it's time to replace my trusty Accord with a piece of shit that thieves don't want.

Puppy!

My roommates got a dog while I was in Australia. I was skeptical at first but that quickly passed. This bitch has a face that could melt the iciest of hearts and the personality to match.

< Cold and dirty | BBC White season: 'Rivers of Blood' >
My annual diary entry | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback
(Comment Deleted) by HappyDude (2.00 / 0) #1 Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 06:53:15 PM EST

This comment has been deleted by HappyDude

Puppy picture by HappyDude (2.00 / 0) #2 Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 07:06:13 PM EST
cute, huh?

... Not sure why this didn't work the first time.

OMGWTFBBQ by HappyDude (2.00 / 0) #3 Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 07:13:15 PM EST

This is getting ridiculous.

MY FACE IS MELTING WITH HAPPY by joh3n (2.00 / 0) #4 Wed Feb 20, 2008 at 10:30:15 PM EST
puppies rock

----
I just ate about 7 pounds of meat
-theantix

I'm occasionally tempted to get back into games by Rogerborg (2.00 / 0) #5 Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 01:41:37 AM EST
But then I remember that you have to bring your own lube and something to bite on.  It's a hugely neurotic industry: targeting bleeding edge hardware, but largely still stuck using the "It's not strategic incompetence, it's a 'crunch' period" methodology that came over in the Mayflower.  It's actually hard to believe that AAA games ever get completed.  I'm way too spoiled and lazy to put up with that "the customer changed the requirements again... (slight pause)... we're behind schedule and it's all your fault." garbage from spineless yes-men 'producers' and 'managers'.

So I think I'll stick to hobbyist development, where I can only blame myself for having inadequate requirements.

Can you reveal the fruits of your creation, or will EA the publisher crush you like a bug for promoting their warez?

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

heh, read your design specs by clover kicker (4.00 / 1) #6 Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 02:05:12 AM EST
You're so kind and fuzzy on other forums, mr. "please take this as a robust but respectful rebuttal".

Seriously tho, good luck on the game. I wonder how many people here have a hobby game design on the back burner?

It's largely contextual by Rogerborg (4.00 / 1) #7 Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 03:19:21 AM EST
I quite like to help the noobs as well.

Oh, it's a bluesky project.  Any sensible requirements + analysis will put the time requirements into the tens of thousands of hours.  I'm really following it through to demonstrate how you know when you're over-reaching.

Metus amatores matrum compescit, non clementia.

Couldn't have said it better myself... by HappyDude (4.00 / 1) #8 Thu Feb 21, 2008 at 05:19:04 PM EST
I'm still not sure how long I want to work in this industry. We'll see how my current project plays out.

I can't reveal the name of my creation yet. I don't think that the publisher has even announced it yet. After it's released, I may or may not let you know that I made it. :)

My annual diary entry | 8 comments (8 topical, 0 hidden) | Trackback